I on finding seconds from maximum height.

In summary: In order to find the time it took for the cannonball to reach maximum height, you would need to solve for t using the equation: Vx=V0x+axt.
Sneakatone
A human cannonball was fired from a cannon with a muzzle velocity of 107 km/h. The firing angle was 45 degrees from the horizontal

Ive converted 107 km/h to 29.71 m/s
1.How many seconds did it take for the human cannonball to reach maximum height?

2.How high did he rise?
h = (V²/4g)=22.5m
3.How far from the cannon did he land?
R = (V²/g) =29.72^2/9.8=90.1m

I cannot seem to find the time for #1 , i tried v/g=29.72/9.8=3.029 and that's wrong,
t = (V/g)√2= 4.28 and that is wrong.
what do I need to do

Physics news on Phys.org
Sneakatone said:
A human cannonball was fired from a cannon with a muzzle velocity of 107 km/h. The firing angle was 45 degrees from the horizontal

Ive converted 107 km/h to 29.71 m/s
1.How many seconds did it take for the human cannonball to reach maximum height?
You'd be seeking the time that passes until the vertical component of his velocity equals 0.
2.How high did he rise?
h = (V²/4g)=22.5m
What equation of motion did you apply here?

I forgot but I got 2 and 3 correct, Is there a specific equation for 1?

Think about what max height means. As stated above, at the maximum height, the x-component of the velocity is ZERO. Try using an equation of velocity with respect to time and keep in mind that at the maximum height, the velocity is equal to 0. Plug that into the equation along with all other known variables and solve.

would the angle be a factor when finding time?
I used v = gt + vi which ended up to v/g=t -> 29.72/9.81=3.029s but it is incorrect

I'm not completely sure, but I assume if you use the equation Vx=V0x+axt and break V0x into the component Vx=V0cos\theta you can make the equation:
V_x=Vocos(/theta)+a_xt, you can make V_x zero, plug in the rest, then solve for t.

Sneakatone said:
would the angle be a factor when finding time?
I used v = gt + vi which ended up to v/g=t -> 29.72/9.81=3.029s but it is incorrect
The equation is correct, but it applies to only the vertical component of velocity.

What does "finding seconds from maximum height" mean?

"Finding seconds from maximum height" refers to determining the amount of time it takes for an object to reach its highest point while in motion.

What factors affect the time it takes to reach maximum height?

The factors that affect the time it takes for an object to reach maximum height include the initial velocity, acceleration due to gravity, and any external forces acting on the object.

How is the time to reach maximum height calculated?

The time it takes for an object to reach maximum height can be calculated using the formula t = √(2h/g), where t is the time, h is the height, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

Can the time to reach maximum height be affected by air resistance?

Yes, air resistance can affect the time it takes for an object to reach maximum height as it can slow down the object's ascent and decrease the overall time.

Why is calculating the time to reach maximum height important?

Calculating the time to reach maximum height is important in many scientific fields, such as physics and engineering, as it helps to understand the motion and behavior of objects in different scenarios. It also allows for accurate predictions and calculations in real-world applications.