I really want to do research in advanced physics

In summary, if you want to do research in physics, you will need to get a degree in physics. Changing your major to physics will be very difficult, but it is possible.
Pankaj12790
Hi I am new to this forum . I have almost completed my b.e in electronics n comm here in India and I really want to do research in advanced physics like quantum mechanics ... But as of now I am really clueless on what can I do for that to happen... Please any suggestions will be helpfull

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org

First you need to find a good university and get an undergraduate degree (bachelors) in physics.

micromass said:
First you need to find a good university and get an undergraduate degree (bachelors) in physics.

Yes but I am already doing a bachelor degree in electronics and comm

Pankaj12790 said:
Yes but I am already doing a bachelor degree in electronics and comm

That's not going to be a great help for physics like quantum mechanics. I would suggest changing your major to physics.

I you haven't done a major in physics, then it is still possible to go to grad school in physics, but this will be very difficult. Read this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=64966
Basically, you will have to self-study a lot, and you will have to do extremely well on admission tests such as the GRE (or the variant they use in India). But even then, it will be challenging for you. The best option is to do a bachelors degree in physics.

In which year of BE you are currently in. If you are doing any Physics Summer Course or Internship in Experimental Physics. then go to directly Masters Course in Physics.

It is interesting that you have a degree in ECE and you wish to change to Physics.

Engineering physics is different. You will learn physics but that will be enough to do engineering with it. You can get an Mtech from IIT Bombay as they are really good in that field.

In case you want to do research in physics, as micromass suggested, the only way out is to get a degree in physics.

Not to be discouraging but it is a very difficult field to be in. I feel that the most critical thing there is to get the right mentor to help you get a good hang of how to think when you become a physics researcher. These days, there is a lot of competition and it is very hard to get good guidance for research.

Also, this is the age when you feel like doing research and all that. After crossing 30, you will feel the need to get married and have a family. As a physics major, it takes a long time to get settled and then the salary won't be that good if you take up teaching. Women like men who earn decently and if they have options, they usually pick men who earn more.

These are some practical aspects and I have seen it happen. Please think carefully before changing fields. You have already invested time getting an engineering degree. Be very careful when it comes to changing fields at this point in your life.

I am sure other people have different views. Situation is different for different people. I am an Indian and I know exactly how it works in India. A big factor for Indian men is that beyond 30, it is tough to get a woman to get married to as men are considered too old. With factors like this and the ones related to low salary, you really have to ask yourself if it is worth all the sacrifice. In the west, you can afford to take that risk of going into pure science as the salary is modest for a professor here. The situation is very different if you are in India.

Related to I really want to do research in advanced physics

1. What is advanced physics?

Advanced physics is a branch of physics that focuses on studying the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of the universe at a deeper level. It involves complex mathematical and theoretical concepts to understand and explain phenomena such as quantum mechanics, relativity, and particle physics.

2. How can I get involved in advanced physics research?

To get involved in advanced physics research, you can pursue a degree in physics or a related field such as engineering or mathematics. It is also important to develop a strong foundation in mathematics, as it is the language of advanced physics. You can also participate in internships or research programs at universities or research institutions.

3. What skills are needed for advanced physics research?

Advanced physics research requires a strong foundation in mathematics, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills. It also involves the ability to work independently and collaboratively, as well as attention to detail and strong analytical skills.

4. What are some current research topics in advanced physics?

Some current research topics in advanced physics include quantum computing, dark matter and dark energy, string theory, and the search for a unifying theory of physics. Other areas of research include astrophysics, particle physics, and nanotechnology.

5. What are the potential career opportunities in advanced physics research?

Career opportunities in advanced physics research include working as a research scientist in universities, government laboratories, or private companies. You can also pursue a career in academia as a professor or postdoctoral researcher. Other options include working in the technology industry, such as in the fields of computer science or aerospace engineering.