I saw a Violin change the colour of a liquid,I don't know how

In summary: It's frustrating how the picture features the two chemical bottles but not what they are, even more frustrating how I saw this in a school assembly to get people inspired by Science but they didn't bother to explain how it was done.I'm guessing either it was done to inspire curiosity or they were just bad teachers.I once got some people come into my Primary school to get people inspired by Astronomy, I'm not making this up, instead of waiting for it to be night time and looking up (how people first got into it) they erected FAKE tents INSIDE the P.E. Centre and made us line up to sit in them to watch a Computer screen Slide show with Sci-Fi Music blaring.That is horrible and probably
HawkI
I've been looking around and I saw that chemicals are involved and they apparently played in the key of B major, if that helps. Oh also someone mentioned there may be oil at the top. Does anyone know how this happens or have even seen this?

I know sound is pressure, and it goes through things and all that stuff.

There seems to be two chemicals also the liquid goes black http://www.ipernity.com/tag/adam/keyword/14870

Chemistry news on Phys.org
My guess would be the sound wave triggered a chemical reaction , exciting a lot of the liquid's electrons ,changing the color of the liquid. Now as an excited electron calms down it emits an energetic photon thus a mass excitation and emission could result in a color change.

Now sound isn't light and therefore my analysis is shaky but still worthwhile because I think sound oscillations can also excite atoms and therefore the electrons through shaking them up.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's frustrating how the picture features the two chemical bottles but not what they are, even more frustrating how I saw this in a school assembly to get people inspired by Science but they didn't bother to explain how it was done.

I'm guessing either it was done to inspire curiosity or they were just bad teachers.

I once got some people come into my Primary school to get people inspired by Astronomy, I'm not making this up, instead of waiting for it to be night time and looking up (how people first got into it) they erected FAKE tents INSIDE the P.E. Centre and made us line up to sit in them to watch a Computer screen Slide show with Sci-Fi Music blaring.

That is horrible and probably they are horrible stem teachers.

HawkI said:
I once got some people come into my Primary school to get people inspired by Astronomy, I'm not making this up, instead of waiting for it to be night time and looking up (how people first got into it) they erected FAKE tents INSIDE the P.E. Centre and made us line up to sit in them to watch a Computer screen Slide show with Sci-Fi Music blaring.
I don't see anything wrong with that, You wouldn't expect the kids to stay in school until night, and what would they see? Have you never been to a planetarium? If you haven't I strongly suggest that you do.

The Briggs-Rauscher reaction is known as an oscillating chemical reaction.
http://listverse.com/2008/03/04/top-10-amazing-chemical-reactions/
Thank you

Evo imagine you were introduced to Dinosaurs by someone dressed up as a T-Rex telling you about the Jurassic times, with Volcano Ambience blaring. In doors inside a terrible prop cave. Near Christmas it gets dark really quickly.

I imagine there's lots of babies crying in planetariums, I haven't been in one my self but I've been in museums.

HawkI said:
Evo imagine you were introduced to Dinosaurs by someone dressed up as a T-Rex telling you about the Jurassic times, with Volcano Ambience blaring. In doors inside a terrible prop cave. Near Christmas it gets dark really quickly.

I imagine there's lots of babies crying in planetariums, I haven't been in one my self but I've been in museums.
I've never been in a planetarium with a baby crying. I was introduced to dinosaurs by a book at the grocery store where with each purchase you got a dinosaur stamp to paste in the book, which was filled with misinformation. But it got me interested in learning more.

The experience you will have in a Planetarium will be awesome, check one out.

Likes NascentOxygen

1. How is it possible for a violin to change the color of a liquid?

This phenomenon is known as the "violin effect" and it occurs due to the vibrations created by the violin strings. These vibrations cause the molecules in the liquid to move and mix, resulting in a change in color.

2. Is this a common occurrence or just a rare event?

The violin effect is a well-documented phenomenon and has been observed in various liquids, including water, wine, and even milk. However, the specific conditions required for it to occur may not always be present, making it a less frequent occurrence.

3. Can any type of violin produce this effect?

While the violin effect can occur with any type of violin, certain factors such as the type of strings, bowing technique, and the material of the instrument can influence the intensity and duration of the effect.

4. How does this relate to science and physics?

The violin effect is a result of the principles of physics, specifically the laws of motion and thermodynamics. It showcases the transfer of energy from the violin strings to the liquid, causing a change in its properties.

5. Are there any practical applications for this phenomenon?

While the violin effect may seem like a curious and entertaining phenomenon, it has practical applications in fields such as chemistry and materials science. It can be used to mix substances, create new materials, and even study the behavior of liquids at a molecular level.