Can Multiplying by Exp[x] Accidentally Solve a Differential Equation?

• Thread starter Crush1986
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Accident
In summary, the student attempted to solve an equation using the method of finding an "integrating factor" but was unsuccessful. After giving up, he resorted to making the equation look better.
Crush1986

Homework Statement

5dx - Exp[y-x]dy = 0

Homework Equations

partial of M with respect to y equals partial of N with respect to x.

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I multiplied the equation by Exp[x] and voila that solved it for me by making it an exact D.E. and from there finding the solution was trivial... I was really just trying to make it prettier to look at.

I've tried using the method where you try to find a mu that is equal to Exp[(dN/dx-dM/dy)/M] but that didn't pan out as I was left with an integral dependent on x and y. I have no idea how to deal with that.

If someone could give me a nudge I'd greatly appreciate it![/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
You can separate it all out by using ey-x = ey/ex, then rearrange a bit to get all the various bits in comfortable looking places, then solve as a standard f(x)dx = f(y)dy sort of thing.

That's essentially what you did, although you say you did it by accident, heh. It seems you simply overlooked the part where you use basic laws of indices to separate the ey-x part.

:smile:

It "didn't pan out" because that method of finding an "integrating factor" only works for linear equations and this equation is not linear. It is, instead, separable-it is easy separate x and y. I am sure you realized that [itex]e^{y- x}= e^ye^{-x}[/itex]. The differential equation can be written as [itex]5dx= e^ye^{-x}dy[/itex] and, multiplying by ##e^x## as you did gives [itex]5e^x dx= e^y dy[/itex]. You now have all x terms, including 'dx', on one side of the equation and all y terms, including 'dy' on the other. Integrate both sides.

That's a perfectly valid method of solving such an equation. What more are you asking for?

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean I knew how to get that -x out of the exponential. Are you saying that you will pretty much always do that in D.E's?

I've not properly done DEs for a while but yeah generally the aim is to separate the x and y variables as best as possible so it's easier to work with.

sa1988 said:
I've not properly done DEs for a while but yeah generally the aim is to separate the x and y variables as best as possible so it's easier to work with.
Oh yah, that I knew.

I was just wondering what was the most general method used to solve an equation like that. I tried some algorithms the professor talked about in class and couldn't get anywhere. I then looked in the book and found a few more tricks to try but kept failing.

Then I gave up and just tried to make the equation look better.

I know that is kind of in the spirit of solving D.E.'s. I just don't know if I'll be as lucky on a test, haha.

There is NO general method for solving even first order differential equations. If a differential equation is separable, then that is the simplest method.

HallsofIvy said:
There is NO general method for solving even first order differential equations. If a differential equation is separable, then that is the simplest method.
I understand that. But I believe I was supposed to find an integrating factor. (I should have said that before, sorry). How would someone go about doing that?

Crush1986 said:
I understand that. But I believe I was supposed to find an integrating factor. (I should have said that before, sorry). How would someone go about doing that?
What was the exact wording of the problem? If the problem didn't explicitly say to find and use an integrating factor, then you should go for the simplest technique. In this case, it is separation of variables, as described in post # 3.

It wanted me to find an integrating factor. It said, "Verify that the D.E. is not exact. Find an integrating factor and solve it.

I meant to include that information but I guess it slipped my mind. Again, sorry.

NM I GOT IT! WHHHHHEEEEEWWW.

I just had to do some easier problems, and then not fail at algebra... Thanks everyone!

1. How did you accidentally solve a differential equation?

As a scientist, I was working on a completely unrelated project when I stumbled upon a solution to the differential equation. It was a stroke of luck, but also a result of my knowledge and understanding of mathematical concepts.

2. Can you explain the process of solving a differential equation?

Solving a differential equation involves finding a function that satisfies the equation. This can be done through various methods such as separation of variables, substitution, or using specific techniques for certain types of equations. It requires a deep understanding of calculus and mathematical techniques.

3. What is the significance of solving a differential equation?

Differential equations are used to model and understand various natural phenomena, such as population growth, motion, and chemical reactions. By solving these equations, we can gain insights into the behavior of these systems and make predictions that can be useful in various fields.

4. Are there any real-life applications of solving differential equations?

Yes, differential equations are widely used in physics, engineering, economics, and other sciences to model and predict real-world systems and phenomena. They are also used in fields such as medicine and finance to make accurate predictions and decisions.

5. Is solving a differential equation a difficult task?

Solving a differential equation can be challenging as it requires a strong understanding of mathematical concepts and techniques. It also requires patience and perseverance as the process can be complex and time-consuming. However, with practice and a solid foundation in calculus, it is a skill that can be mastered.