I think I am victimized by exam copy checkers

• Thread starter shivajikobardan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exam
In summary, the conversation is about a student who had a difficult microprocessors and interfacing exam and only received 40 out of 80 marks. They had cross verified their solutions from electronics.stackexchange.com but were unsure if it was considered a reputable site. The student also expressed concerns about the legality of using outside resources for exams. They were advised to stop complaining and focus on studying instead. The student also mentioned the pressure to grade exams quickly and the lack of resources available online for their subject.
shivajikobardan
I had microprocessors and interfacing exam. Yes it is considered toughest subject, but I learned it very properly. I learned it from NOT reference books BUT other good books. I followed lots and lots of books for it tbh. And EMC was also part of it(electromagnetic compatibility).

I got only 40 marks out of 80. What is this? I had cross verified every solutions from electronics.stackexchange.com. I don't think that is unreputed site. Is it?

Is this even legal? It is just sad and pathetic. Anyway I am happy that I learned it very well. I should start memorizing stuffs instead of learning them creative way to get marks in my university i guess.

I think it is perfectly ok for me to be victim of this and I think this is legal as well. But what do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
in previous threads, I noticed a repeated pattern. you complain a lot. stop whining and more studying.

Likes CalcNerd, PhDeezNutz, vanhees71 and 2 others
shivajikobardan said:
I had cross verified every solutions from electronics.stackexchange.com. I don't think that is unreputed site. Is it?
Wait, from your thread title and your statement quoted above, it sounds like you did use some copy/paste or very similar wording to answers you found on the web. But you are not supposed to do that, right?

Likes CalcNerd, vanhees71 and symbolipoint
Hey @shivajikobardan, what are the examination's conditions supposed to be? The way you described things in post #1, I would wonder the same way as @berkeman.

Regardless of exact subject of the course, I am aware of two ways of performing a course's examinations: During classtime in the classroom either with or without specified allowed reference materials (reference notes in paper form, or depending on other administrative methods, "open-book"); and Take-Home, which is too easily managed as "open-book" no matter what the instructor or department intends. In the second method, a good student will keep checking into reference material to a bare minimum because he knows the topics and has the skills of the subject/course well-learned.

Something more to consider: Your instructor may be able to check on internet/web sources to find anything in what you report on your examination that fits too closely to something which was already somebody elses' work, thereby indicating that your reported response is not your own.
Still more to consider: Instructor could detect that the styling of your examination response is not how you express yourself in written form, and thereby indicating your reported response is not genuinely your own, but is from somebody else.

Likes CalcNerd, vanhees71, Vanadium 50 and 1 other person
berkeman said:
Wait, from your thread title and your statement quoted above, it sounds like you did use some copy/paste or very similar wording to answers you found on the web. But you are not supposed to do that, right?
I didn't copy paste.

symbolipoint said:
Hey @shivajikobardan, what are the examination's conditions supposed to be? The way you described things in post #1, I would wonder the same way as @berkeman.

Regardless of exact subject of the course, I am aware of two ways of performing a course's examinations: During classtime in the classroom either with or without specified allowed reference materials (reference notes in paper form, or depending on other administrative methods, "open-book");
in class without materials
symbolipoint said:
and Take-Home, which is too easily managed as "open-book" no matter what the instructor or department intends. In the second method, a good student will keep checking into reference material to a bare minimum because he knows the topics and has the skills of the subject/course well-learned.

Something more to consider: Your instructor may be able to check on internet/web sources to find anything in what you report on your examination that fits too closely to something which was already somebody elses' work, thereby indicating that your reported response is not your own.
thing is in nepal you paid 30 cents for checking 1 copy so your goal is to check copies as fast as possible. nobody cares enough to check if the solution is correct or not, try to reverse it and see if it brings same output or not. they will see the model solution, if the answer is similar, you get marks else you don't. there was nth in internet related to this subject. that's why i had to visit electronics.stackexchange.
symbolipoint said:
Still more to consider: Instructor could detect that the styling of your examination response is not how you express yourself in written form, and thereby indicating your reported response is not genuinely your own, but is from somebody else.
i don't get this quite a bit.

MidgetDwarf said:
in previous threads, I noticed a repeated pattern. you complain a lot. stop whining and more studying.
no i need to know the problems. working like a donkey takes you that far. i need to be smart and know what i am missing as well.

shivajikobardan said:
no i need to know the problems. working like a donkey takes you that far. i need to be smart and know what i am missing as well.
Up to this point, your short cuts have not been fruitful. Maybe work hard as a donkey, and keep an open mind?

Likes CalcNerd, atyy, Vanadium 50 and 1 other person
Here's what I think:

We don't know. How would we with the content of your question? OK, go ahead and complain, but nothing will come of that here without you asking an answerable question. Did you honestly think we would know how/why your exam was graded that way? How would you answer if someone in a different class asked you this question?

You get good answers by asking good questions. This one is a waste of our time.

Likes Vanadium 50, russ_watters, vanhees71 and 1 other person
MidgetDwarf said:
Up to this point, your short cuts have not been fruitful. Maybe work hard as a donkey, and keep an open mind?
ok.

shivajikobardan said:
thing is in nepal you paid 30 cents for checking 1 copy so your goal is to check copies as fast as possible. nobody cares enough to check if the solution is correct or not, try to reverse it and see if it brings same output or not. they will see the model solution, if the answer is similar, you get marks else you don't. there was nth in internet related to this subject. that's why i had to visit electronics.stackexchange.
I do not know what you said in that passage; neither do I understand why you would look in ...stackexchange for answers when taking an examination.

Likes Vanadium 50, PhDeezNutz and vanhees71
symbolipoint said:
and then you asked,
i don't get this quite a bit.

The instructor, having some experience reading the way each student expresses himself, becoming familiar with each student's style of writing, may notice when the style is too different . Instructor might then wonder if the student has really given an answer or response which is genuinely his, or of somebody else.

Likes vanhees71 and berkeman
shivajikobardan did mention Nepal where he is attending his education. One could suspect that cultural understanding about Education there is needed for reading and responding in this topic.

symbolipoint said:
The instructor, having some experience reading the way each student expresses himself, becoming familiar with each student's style of writing, may notice when the style is too different . Instructor might then wonder if the student has really given an answer or response which is genuinely his, or of somebody else.
Let me try to say this much more plainly:

Your instructor has seen how you write. If you write a response to an exam question and the way you wrote it is not the way you write (wording, phrasing, ...) then your instructor will recognize this and will believe the response to the question is not your honest response; that somebody else wrote it.

More bluntly: "This guy does not write like that. This response is not his own real response". "He cheated."

Likes CalcNerd, Vanadium 50 and vanhees71
DaveE said:
You get good answers by asking good questions. This one is a waste of our time.
Agreed. Thread is tied off. Thanks folks for trying to answer the vague question by the OP.

1. How do exam copy checkers determine if someone is cheating?

Exam copy checkers use a variety of methods to determine if someone is cheating, such as comparing handwriting, checking for hidden notes or devices, and monitoring body language and behavior during the exam.

2. Can exam copy checkers make mistakes and falsely accuse someone of cheating?

While it is possible for exam copy checkers to make mistakes, they are trained professionals who follow strict protocols to ensure fairness and accuracy. If you believe you have been falsely accused, you can appeal the decision and provide evidence to support your claim.

3. Is there a way to prevent being victimized by exam copy checkers?

The best way to prevent being victimized by exam copy checkers is to follow all exam rules and regulations and avoid any behavior that may be perceived as cheating. Additionally, it is important to report any suspicious activity during the exam to the proctor.

4. What happens if I am found guilty of cheating by exam copy checkers?

If you are found guilty of cheating by exam copy checkers, you may face consequences such as failing the exam, being expelled from the institution, or facing legal action. It is important to understand the severity of cheating and the potential consequences.

5. Can I request a re-check of my exam if I feel the exam copy checkers made a mistake?

Yes, you can request a re-check of your exam if you feel the exam copy checkers made a mistake. However, there may be a fee for this service and the decision of the re-check is final. It is important to provide any evidence or reasoning to support your request for a re-check.