I want to create an ultrasonic generator amplifier w/ MOSFET

In summary, the conversation discusses using an ultrasonic generator and amplifier circuit to increase the power of ultrasonic transducers for various purposes, such as creating sound waves with more pressure and performing ultrasonic levitation. The use of both N and P channel mosfets in parallel is also mentioned, and a paper on the potential dangers of high levels of ultrasound is referenced. The thread is temporarily closed for moderation due to safety concerns.
Strangeline
Firstly, I'm only a beginner at electronics and most of my knowledge comes from googling things.

I have (several) ultrasonic transducers (100 watt 40 khz) i'd like to drive with my ultrasonic generator (100 watts 40 khz) but I'd like to up the amplitude of my transducers because I want the sound waves to be thick w/ pressure. I'm worried my ultrasonic generator might not produce enough power so I wanted to build an amplifier circuit for it after seeing this video

The guy used 12 n and p channel mosfets in parallel to amplify the signal of his transducer. I know when you connect two mosfets in parallel you raise the gate capacitance, but how does using both N and P channel mosfets fit into the circuit?

Physics news on Phys.org
Strangeline said:
Firstly, I'm only a beginner at electronics and most of my knowledge comes from googling things.

I have (several) ultrasonic transducers (100 watt 40 khz) i'd like to drive with my ultrasonic generator (100 watts 40 khz) but I'd like to up the amplitude of my transducers because I want the sound waves to be thick w/ pressure. I'm worried my ultrasonic generator might not produce enough power so I wanted to build an amplifier circuit for it after seeing this video

The guy used 12 n and p channel mosfets in parallel to amplify the signal of his transducer. I know when you connect two mosfets in parallel you raise the gate capacitance, but how does using both N and P channel mosfets fit into the circuit?

Wat'cha going to do with all that ultrasonic power?

berkeman said:
Wat'cha going to do with all that ultrasonic power?

1. hopefully not kill myself
2. I am trying to build a high-powered ultrasonic nebulizer
3. I'd also like to use my transducers to do some ultrasonic levitation with some really fine particles

So after watching this I realize composite transistors must have complementary parts (NP or PN)

which I believe means I can just pair up the pairs (NP)(NP)(NP)(NP)... as many times as I want as long as I have power source capable of feeding the gate capacitance

like the crude diagram below (pretend T1 or T2 corresponds to P or N channels respectively)
NPmosfets.png

Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

1. What is an ultrasonic generator amplifier?

An ultrasonic generator amplifier is a device that produces high-frequency electrical signals, usually in the range of 20 to 100 kHz, which are then amplified and used to drive ultrasonic transducers. These transducers convert the electrical signals into mechanical vibrations, resulting in the production of ultrasonic waves.

2. How does an ultrasonic generator amplifier work?

An ultrasonic generator amplifier typically consists of a power source, an oscillator circuit, an amplifier circuit, and an output stage. The power source provides the necessary voltage and current for the circuit to function. The oscillator circuit generates high-frequency electrical signals, while the amplifier circuit amplifies these signals to a level that can drive the transducers. The output stage then delivers the amplified signals to the transducers, which convert them into ultrasonic waves.

3. What is a MOSFET and how is it used in an ultrasonic generator amplifier?

MOSFET stands for Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor Field-Effect Transistor. It is a type of transistor that is commonly used as a switch or amplifier in electronic circuits. In an ultrasonic generator amplifier, MOSFETs are typically used in the amplifier circuit to amplify the high-frequency signals generated by the oscillator circuit.

4. What are the benefits of using a MOSFET in an ultrasonic generator amplifier?

MOSFETs offer several advantages in an ultrasonic generator amplifier. They have a high input impedance, which allows for efficient amplification of the high-frequency signals. They also have a low on-resistance, resulting in low power dissipation and high efficiency. Additionally, MOSFETs can handle high voltages and currents, making them suitable for use in high-power ultrasonic applications.

5. What are some tips for creating an ultrasonic generator amplifier with a MOSFET?

When creating an ultrasonic generator amplifier with a MOSFET, it is important to choose a MOSFET with a high enough voltage and current rating to handle the power requirements of your application. You should also pay attention to the circuit layout and ensure proper heat dissipation to prevent the MOSFET from overheating. Additionally, it is crucial to accurately tune the oscillator and amplifier circuits to ensure the generation and amplification of the desired high-frequency signals.