Trying to build an ultrasonic drill

In summary, an ultrasonic drill can work by the "jackhammer" motion of a free floating mass, or by the transfer of the ultrasonic frequency to an abrasive slurry. The best "bit" appears to be a hollow metal cylinder that is soldered to the small end of a horn. The ultrasonic driver needed is rated at 28 KHz and can be found for $30 on Ebay. Another component needed is the transducer, which can be found for $40. When trying to match the resonant frequencies, it is important to take into account that transducers rated at 28 KHz might be off by 0.5 KHz. The author has a way to measure the impedance and tune the frequency
K_Mitchell
I'm attempting to build an ultrasonic drill to make holes in silicon wafers, since we don't have the budget to buy one in our lab. From what (I think) I know, ultrasonic drills can either work by the "jackhammer" motion of a free floating mass which I don't know how to make, or by the transfer of the ultrasonic frequency to an abrasive slurry. I want to make the latter type.

From what I gathered online, I think I'll need the following components:

1) Piezoelectric transducer. I found a 70W transducer that works at 28 KHz for about $40.
2) Horn. This transfers the vibrations from the transducer to the drill bit. I'm planning to have a "step horn" milled for me at our machine shop out of aluminum. This type amplifies the vibrations. Its length is critical to reduce the impedence, and should be roughly half a wavelength long as a general rule of thumb.
3) Drill bit. For the 1 mm holes I'm planning to drill, the best "bit" appears to be a hollow metal cylinder that I can solder to the small end of the horn.
4) Ultrasonic driver. My electronics knowledge is very limited, so I'm planning to just buy one off Ebay for $30. I found a 60W, 28 KHz driver that works for 110V.

What I'm worried about most is matching the resonant frequencies. I'm trying to follow this instructional the best I can: http://www.imajeenyus.com/electronics/20110514_power_ultrasonic_driver/index.shtml. Apparently, transducers that are rated at 28 KHz might be off by like 0.5 KHz, and this small difference can have a huge effect on the impedance as you can see from the plots on this website. The author apparently has a way to measure the impedance and tune the frequency so that the impedance is minimized. If I buy the 28 KHz driver (the author built their own), what's the cheapest thing I can buy that will let me tune this up and down, and measure the impedance?

Also, when I look up the wavelength of a 28 KHz wave (http://www.csgnetwork.com/freqwavelengthcalc.html), I see numbers like 5000 meters for half a wavelength. However, the author's horn is only 95 mm long. Clearly, there's something about waves I don't understand and I would appreciate any answers for this discrepancy.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you guys think this topic is better off in the electrical engineering forums? It's a combination of mechanical, electrical, and physics so I wasn't quite sure where to post it.

Try calculating the wavelength for sound, rather than light.

Did that and found the number was still an order of magnitude off. Then I realized this value was through air rather than aluminum. When the speed of sound through aluminum was used, I got the correct value. Thanks! I also found an excellent paper on horn engineering with easy to perform calculations.

Still need help with finding what I can use for fine-tuning the frequency and measuring the impedance.

1. How does an ultrasonic drill work?

An ultrasonic drill uses high-frequency vibrations to break apart material. The drill tip vibrates at a frequency of around 20,000 times per second, creating tiny cracks and fractures in the material. This allows the drill to easily penetrate and remove material without exerting much force.

2. What materials can be drilled using an ultrasonic drill?

An ultrasonic drill can be used on a variety of materials, including metals, ceramics, and even delicate materials like glass and semiconductors. However, the effectiveness of the drill may vary depending on the hardness and density of the material.

3. What are the advantages of using an ultrasonic drill?

One major advantage of an ultrasonic drill is its ability to create precise and clean cuts without causing damage to the surrounding material. It also produces less heat and noise compared to traditional drills, making it a safer and more efficient option for drilling.

4. How is an ultrasonic drill different from a traditional drill?

An ultrasonic drill uses high-frequency vibrations to break apart material, while a traditional drill relies on rotating motion to penetrate material. This makes an ultrasonic drill more suitable for delicate materials and creates less friction, resulting in less wear and tear on the drill bit.

5. Can an ultrasonic drill be used for industrial purposes?

Yes, an ultrasonic drill can be used for industrial purposes, especially in precision industries such as aerospace and medical manufacturing. Its ability to create precise and clean cuts makes it a valuable tool for these types of industries.