I want to see the plot of an inverse function -- can I use a TI84?

In summary, you can rotate a TI84 calculator to see the inverse of a graph that is already displayed.
barryj
TL;DR Summary
I am studying inverse functions and want to see a plot of an inverse function.
Summary: I am studying inverse functions and want to see a plot of an inverse function.

I hope this is an OK post here.

Lets say I have a function y = x^3 + x. This function has n inverse sine the derivitave is always positive and is a one on one function.

I can easily graph this function using my TI84. How can I graph the inverse function. This is what I have tried and failed at.

Set the TI84 to graph x^3 + x. Now look at the table of values. L1 is X, and L2 is f(x).
I thought I could use the stat plot option and set L2 to X and L1 to f(x) and then graph both the original function and its inverse using the stat plot feature.

Is there a way to do what I want?

Computer science news on Phys.org
In theory,there is a general formula to solve a cubic , called Cardano's formula,where you can solve for x in terms of y but i don't think it is very practical.

If you just want to see how the inverse function looks, rotate your calculator (and plot -f(x) or f(-x) to get positive values going up).

• Haha
Likes anorlunda
I wasn't thinking about a cubic in particular but a function in general. I used Excel to plot the function and its inverse but I would like to use the TI84.

I can use the table feature to get a list of values of f(x) vs X, but how can I plot X vs f(x)? Maybe not possible unless I write a special program.

barryj said:
I wasn't thinking about a cubic in particular but a function in general. I used Excel to plot the function and its inverse but I would like to use the TI84.

I can use the table feature to get a list of values of f(x) vs X, but how can I plot X vs f(x)? Maybe not possible unless I write a special program.
I don't understand,why not just relabel x as f(x) and viceversa and then just plot them?

When I plot a function, the TI84 fills the table with values. However, this table is not the same as you would have if you entered the values manually and used Statplot to plot the two graphs. I can make two plots manually but it is a bit klunky.

My comment about rotating the calculator was serious.

Likes sysprog
I see your point

Likes sysprog
On my TI-83 in ##\mathtt {func}## mode there's a ##\mathtt {DrawInv}## option. If it is selected from the ##\mathtt {DRAW}## menu, the machine will return to the home screen or the program editor. It's not interactive. ##\mathtt {DrawInv}## puts ##\mathtt x## values on the ##\mathtt y## axis and vice versa. It takes a single expression as an argument (not a list of expressions). You can invert a matrix by using the ##\mathtt {^{-1}}## key. The matrix must be square and the determinant can't be zero.

mfb said:
My comment about rotating the calculator was serious.
Sure,i can see you are very professional.

KurtChris said:
Sure,i can see you are very professional.
@mfb's suggestion was spot on: if you just want to see the inverse of a graph that is already displayed, you can simply rotate the device ##90^\circ## in the display plane, and then mentally swap the ##\mathtt x## and ##\mathtt y## axes to their normal positions.

1. Can I use a TI84 to graph an inverse function?

Yes, you can use a TI84 to graph an inverse function. The TI84 has a built-in inverse function feature that allows you to graph inverse functions easily.

2. How do I graph an inverse function on a TI84?

To graph an inverse function on a TI84, first press the "Y=" button and enter the original function. Then, press the "2nd" button followed by the "TRACE" button. Select "3: Inverse" from the menu that appears, and then press "ENTER" to confirm. The inverse function will now be graphed on the same screen.

3. Can I see both the original function and its inverse on the same graph?

Yes, you can see both the original function and its inverse on the same graph on a TI84. Follow the steps mentioned above to graph the inverse function, and then press the "2nd" button followed by the "TRACE" button again. This time, select "5: Simul" from the menu that appears, and then press "ENTER" to confirm. Both the original function and its inverse will now be graphed on the same screen.

4. Can I use the TI84 to find the inverse of a function?

Yes, you can use the TI84 to find the inverse of a function. To do so, enter the original function into the TI84 and then press the "2nd" button followed by the "TRACE" button. Select "3: Inverse" from the menu that appears, and then press "ENTER" to confirm. The inverse function will be displayed on the screen.

5. What if I want to graph an inverse function that is not one-to-one?

If you want to graph an inverse function that is not one-to-one on a TI84, you will need to restrict the domain of the original function. To do this, press the "Y=" button, highlight the original function, and press the "ENTER" button. Then, use the arrow keys to navigate to the left of the function and add "2nd" followed by "X>" before the function. Press "GRAPH" to see the graph of the restricted function and its inverse.