I with the formula for this marble falling from a platform

In summary, the conversation discusses the release of a marble from a platform with an equation for the platform's height. The platform is at a fixed height of 70 meters and the marble is released at a velocity of 22.5 meters per second. The conversation also mentions the need to find an equation for the velocity of the platform and discusses using differentiation to do so.
DThes
New user has been reminded to use the Homework Help Template and show their work in the first post
A marble is released at 22.5 meters per second from a 70 meter tall platform. When will the marble strike the ground if the equation for the platforms height is 2.3[t][/2]+ (-)6.5t+70?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forum. Please don't delete the Homework template as it's there for a good reason.

In what direction is the marble released?

You have an equation for the height/position of the platform. Do you know how to get an equation for the velocity of an object from the equation for it's position?

Your question confuses me. Is the platform at a fixed height of 70 meters or is it at a changing height of 2.3[t][/2]+ (-)6.5t+70? Also, why would the platform height matter after the marble is released?

CWatters said:
Welcome to the forum. Please don't delete the Homework template as it's there for a good reason.

In what direction is the marble released?

You have an equation for the height/position of the platform. Do you know how to get an equation for the velocity of an object from the equation for it's position?
Is it vx= dxf/t?

FactChecker said:
Your question confuses me. Is the platform at a fixed height of 70 meters or is it at a changing height of 2.3[t][/2]+ (-)6.5t+70? Also, why would the platform height matter after the marble is released?
I am not sure if the platform is at a fixed height. That's the whole the whole problem.

DThes said:
I am not sure if the platform is at a fixed height.

No the position is varying according to that equation. Note that when you substitute t=0 you get the initial height of 70m. At other values of t you get a different height.

DThes said:
Is it vx= dxf/t?

Yes to go from position to velocity you differentiate the position equation. I suggest you do that and post an equation for the velocity of the platform.

FactChecker said:

It's not the height that matters it's the velocity. I assume the launch velocity (22.5m/s) is relative to the moving platform.

Correction: The height at launch will matter but it's known to be 70m.

Likes FactChecker
CWatters said:
It's not the height that matters it's the velocity. I assume the launch velocity (22.5m/s) is relative to the moving platform.

Correction: The height at launch will matter but it's known to be 70m.
Oh, of course. Thanks.

DThes said:
Is it vx= dxf/t?
I assume that we are talking about an upward vertical release. So we are talking about vertical position -- aka height. We have the height of the platform as a function of time. We do not have anything that would aptly be called "x" or "f".

How about expressing the platform's vertical velocity as ##v_p(t) = \frac{d\ h_p(t)}{dt}##

1. What is the formula for calculating the velocity of a marble falling from a platform?

The formula for calculating the velocity of a marble falling from a platform is v = gt, where v is velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and t is time in seconds.

2. How do you calculate the distance traveled by a marble falling from a platform?

The formula for calculating the distance traveled by a marble falling from a platform is d = (1/2)gt², where d is distance, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and t is time in seconds.

3. What is the acceleration of a marble falling from a platform?

The acceleration of a marble falling from a platform is 9.8 m/s², which is the acceleration due to gravity on Earth.

4. What factors can affect the velocity of a marble falling from a platform?

The factors that can affect the velocity of a marble falling from a platform include the height of the platform, air resistance, and the mass of the marble.

5. How does the velocity of a marble falling from a platform change over time?

The velocity of a marble falling from a platform increases as it falls due to the acceleration of gravity. However, as it reaches its terminal velocity, the velocity will remain constant until it reaches the ground.