Ib extended essay about magnetic repulsion (maglev trains)

In summary, magnets are weird and it's hard to come up with an equation that accurately predicts the force between two magnets. However, by doing experiments you may be able to learn something useful.
urmykryptonite
I have been trying to come up with a good question for my Ib extended essay which is a 4000 words essay about any physics topic of my choice. However, with this topic I need to come up with an experiment to further investigate this topic and write up an analysis and conclusion. I am really interested in the topic magnetic force and relating to the concept of magnetic levitation trains. However, some of the topics I came up with were too easy and there is no depth to write about it later in the lab work. I was wondering if anyone can help me to come up with an experiment with a more complex relationship between variables for magnetic force? Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
urmykryptonite said:
I have been trying to come up with a good question for my Ib extended essay which is a 4000 words essay about any physics topic of my choice. However, with this topic I need to come up with an experiment to further investigate this topic and write up an analysis and conclusion. I am really interested in the topic magnetic force and relating to the concept of magnetic levitation trains. However, some of the topics I came up with were too easy and there is no depth to write about it later in the lab work. I was wondering if anyone can help me to come up with an experiment with a more complex relationship between variables for magnetic force? Thank you very much!
I've never seen anyone post an equation for the force between two dissimilar magnets.
Something like that?

I'm not saying that no one has done this, but only that I've never been able to find it.

And after a quick google, it seems I'm not alone:

Magnets Are Weird

The Dissimilar Magnet Calculator (not available)
What about magnets with two different sizes or shapes? How much will they attract or repel? How do you figure that out?

We always figured this would be a cool project: build a magnet calculator that would predict the force between two magnets that are not the same size. Every time we try attacking the problem, though, we find strange exceptions that make the task difficult. Magnets do weird things that aren’t easily described in a single pull force number. Magnets are weird.

How to calculate the force between two different magnets?
Asked: 2 Years Ago
Viewed: 471 Times
Still no answer.

Thank you! that sounds like a interesting topic, I will confirm this with my advisor!

urmykryptonite said:
Thank you! that sounds like a interesting topic, I will confirm this with my advisor!
You'll either get an F, or become world famous.

Just kidding about the "F".

I've done lots of experiments with magnets.
Sometimes I learn something useful, and sometimes, weird questions pop up.

For instance, how do you weigh a magnet?
Magnets not only feel the pull of gravity, but are also pulled in the direction of the magnetic flux field of the Earth.
And the magnetic field of the Earth, as I discovered, didn't point in the direction I thought it did.

Anyways, good luck!

1. What is the purpose of writing an IB extended essay about magnetic repulsion (maglev trains)?

The purpose of writing an IB extended essay about magnetic repulsion (maglev trains) is to explore and analyze the concept of magnetic repulsion and its application in the development of maglev trains. This topic allows for a deep understanding of the principles of magnetism and how it can be harnessed for efficient and sustainable transportation.

2. What is magnetic repulsion and how does it work?

Magnetic repulsion is the force between two magnets that causes them to push away from each other. This force is due to the alignment of the magnetic domains in the magnets, where the north poles of two magnets repel each other. This phenomenon is explained by the laws of electromagnetism and plays a crucial role in the functioning of maglev trains.

3. What are maglev trains and how do they use magnetic repulsion?

Maglev trains, short for magnetic levitation trains, are a form of transportation that use magnetic repulsion to levitate and propel the train. These trains use powerful electromagnets to create an attractive force between the train and the track, causing the train to levitate and move forward without any physical contact with the track. This technology allows for faster and smoother transportation with minimal friction and energy consumption.

4. What are the advantages of maglev trains compared to traditional trains?

Maglev trains have several advantages over traditional trains. Firstly, they can achieve higher speeds, with some maglev trains reaching speeds of over 300 mph. Secondly, they have a smoother and quieter ride due to the absence of physical contact with the track. Additionally, maglev trains are more energy-efficient and environmentally friendly, as they do not rely on fossil fuels and have minimal carbon emissions.

5. What are some potential challenges or limitations of using maglev trains?

Although maglev trains have many advantages, there are also some challenges and limitations to consider. The initial cost of building a maglev train system is high, making it a less economically feasible option for some countries. Additionally, the technology is still in its early stages and requires further research and development. There are also concerns about the safety and reliability of maglev trains, as any malfunction or disruption in the magnetic field can cause accidents.