What Speed Do Ice Skaters Reach After a Collision?

In summary, two ice skaters with masses of 35 kg and 65 kg, traveling at velocities of 12 m/s and 4 m/s respectively, collide head-on and stick together. Using the equation m1v1 + m2v2 = (m1+m2)v, it is determined that their final velocity after the collision is 1.6 m/s. It is important to consider the direction of the velocities, as a velocity in the opposite direction should be assigned a negative value in the equation.
sweedeljoseph

Homework Statement

A 35 kg ice skater traveling at 12 m/s runs head-on into a 65 kg skater traveling straight forward at 4 m/s. At what speed do the ice skaters travel if they move (stuck) together after the collision?

Homework Equations

i put it below. i don't know if youre supposed to use something else. or if there's something eaiser.

The Attempt at a Solution

answer from the teacher is 1.6 m/s.

i tried this:
m1*v1+m2*v2=m1'*v1'+m2'*v2'
m1*v1+m2*v2=v'(m1'+m2')
v=(m1*v1+m2*v2)/(m1'+m2')
v=((35*12)+(65*4))/100
v=6.8

thats what i got. is it all wrong? i know the equation stuff isn't because that's from my teacher. but when i do the math its not the same. its supposed to be 1.6 m/s. am i missing a step?

thank you!
sweedeljoseph

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
sweedeljoseph said:

Homework Statement

A 35 kg ice skater traveling at 12 m/s runs head-on into a 65 kg skater traveling straight forward at 4 m/s. At what speed do the ice skaters travel if they move (stuck) together after the collision?

Homework Equations

i put it below. i don't know if youre supposed to use something else. or if there's something eaiser.

The Attempt at a Solution

answer from the teacher is 1.6 m/s.

i tried this:
m1*v1+m2*v2=m1'*v1'+m2'*v2'
m1*v1+m2*v2=v'(m1'+m2')
v=(m1*v1+m2*v2)/(m1'+m2')
v=((35*12)+(65*4))/100
v=6.8
thats what i got. is it all wrong? i know the equation stuff isn't because that's from my teacher. but when i do the math its not the same. its supposed to be 1.6 m/s. am i missing a step?

The velocity of the second skater's not inputted correctly; reassess the system.

Keep in mind the skaters are skating "head on". What does that say about their directions relative to each other? So what does that say about the signs of the velocities?

Casey

Edit: Asleight is quick! Last three posts we have been typing at the same time! :smile:

the velocity of the 2nd skater is in wrong? i don't see where its wrong. m1=35, v1=12, m2=65 and v2=4. m1+m2=100. that's what i plugged in isn't it?

would the skaters going head on make any difference? there's no difference in the distance they traveled since they are together.

i got it! haha I am kind of slow. the velocity for the 2nd skater was supposed to be negative. i don't know why i guess because she's going backwards to the 1st guy. but i get it now.

thank you!
sweedeljoseph

sweedeljoseph said:
i got it! haha I am kind of slow. the velocity for the 2nd skater was supposed to be negative. i don't know why i guess because she's going backwards to the 1st guy. but i get it now.

thank you!
sweedeljoseph

Yes! Velocity is a vector and thus has a direction associated with it. Clearly is skater 1 is moving to the right and you consider his velocity to be positive then a skater moving in the OPPOSITE direction must have a velocity that is negative!

You could have chosen the opposite signs for each and gotten the same number. Albeit you would have gotten a negative answer, but that only indicates that the skater is moving in the opposite direction of the one you assumed it was.

Casey

Related to What Speed Do Ice Skaters Reach After a Collision?

1. What are the most common causes of ice skating accidents?

The most common causes of ice skating accidents include losing balance and falling, collisions with other skaters or objects on the ice, and attempting advanced or unfamiliar maneuvers without proper training or supervision.

2. How can I prevent an ice skating accident?

To prevent an ice skating accident, it is important to always wear proper protective gear, such as a helmet and pads, and to skate in a controlled and cautious manner. It is also recommended to take lessons from a qualified instructor and to only attempt advanced maneuvers with proper training and supervision.

3. What are the most common injuries from ice skating accidents?

The most common injuries from ice skating accidents include bruises, sprains, strains, cuts and scrapes, and broken bones. More serious injuries such as concussions and spinal injuries can also occur.

4. What should I do if I witness an ice skating accident?

If you witness an ice skating accident, it is important to stay calm and assess the situation. If the person is injured or unconscious, call for medical help immediately. If the person is conscious and able to move, help them to a safe location and offer assistance if needed.

5. Can I still ice skate after recovering from an ice skating accident?

This depends on the severity of the injury and the doctor's recommendations. It is important to fully recover and receive clearance from a medical professional before returning to ice skating. It may also be helpful to ease back into skating slowly and with caution to prevent reinjury.