Ideal gas law practical application

In summary, the scientist in the conversation uses a method originated by Lord Kelvin to measure the depth at which a bird dives to catch a fish. The method involves attaching a tube filled with powdered sugar to the bird's back and measuring the distance at which the sugar is washed away by water. Using the ideal gas law and Bernoulli's equation, the scientist is able to calculate the depth at which the bird dives. The final result is approximately 5 meters.
astrophysicsm

Homework Statement

To measure how far below the ocean surface a bird dives to catch a fish, a scientist uses a method originated by Lord Kelvin. He dusts the interiors of plastic tubes with powdered sugar and then seals one end of each tube. He captures the bird at nighttime in its nest and attaches a tube to its back. He then catches the same bird the next night and removes the tube. In one trial, using a tube 7.40 cm long, water washes away the sugar over a distance of 2.46 cm from the open end of the tube. Find the greatest depth to which the bird dived, assuming the air in the tube stayed at constant temperature. (Assume the density of the ocean water is 1030 kg/m3.)

Homework Equations

Ideal gas law:
PV=nRT

Density = m/V

The Attempt at a Solution

I think this might have to do with the pressure of the air inside the tube and the pressure at the desired water depth. I can apply this given the change in volume, however, only length is provided and the volume of the tube is not known. I can replace the volume by mass/density in the equation:
P.(m/D) = nRT

But I'm stuck at this point.

Thanks for any help in advance!
astrophysicsm

Physics news on Phys.org
Air in tube:

State 1 (the bird is flying):

V1 = tube length * tube area
P1 = Patm

State 2 (the bird is diving):

V2 = compressed length * tube area
P2 = Patm + Pwater

Given: T1 = T2

To find Pwater, use Bernoulli (assuming the bird is at rest when at deepest depth)

Compare state 1 with state 2 using the ideal gas law.

Thank you ! :)

I used the ideal gas equation to find final Pressure:
Pf = (Pi Li /Lf)

Using Bernoulli's equation:
Pf=Psurface+Dgh

I ended up with:
h= [(PiLi/Lf) – Pi]/Dg = 4.99m

Can anyone verify this is correct ?

What are you measuring Pressure in. Shouldn't it be in Pascals so 1 atm = 101325 Pa
So therefore, height = 20.16m?

Ioliar said:
What are you measuring Pressure in. Shouldn't it be in Pascals so 1 atm = 101325 Pa
So therefore, height = 20.16m?

You made an error in your calculation. The final length Lf isn't 2.46 cm, it is (7.4-2.46=4.94)cm
If you use this value you will get astrophysicsm's answer, which is correct. (I made the same mistake you did).

Hey guys,
Your post had helped me.

here is what I did on Maple, and you are right, Lf is the difference.
> h = ((101325*0.74e-1)/(0.74e-1-0.246e-1)-101325)/(1030*9.8);
h = 4.998750614
... and your 4.99 attempt was right.cheers

What is the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of an ideal gas. It relates the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of a gas in a closed system.

What are some practical applications of the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is commonly used in various fields such as chemistry, physics, and engineering. Some practical applications include predicting the behavior of gases in chemical reactions, designing and optimizing gas storage tanks, and calculating the performance of gas-powered engines.

How do you use the ideal gas law to calculate the pressure of a gas?

The ideal gas law equation is P = nRT/V, where P is the pressure in Pascals, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, T is the temperature in Kelvins, and V is the volume in cubic meters. Simply plug in the known values and solve for pressure.

What are some limitations of the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law assumes that the gas particles have no volume and do not interact with each other. This is not always the case in real gases, especially at high pressures and low temperatures. Additionally, the ideal gas law does not account for the effects of intermolecular forces, which can affect the behavior of gases.

How does the ideal gas law relate to the kinetic theory of gases?

The ideal gas law is derived from the kinetic theory of gases, which states that the pressure of a gas is directly proportional to the average kinetic energy of its particles. This relationship is represented in the ideal gas law equation, where temperature (a measure of kinetic energy) is directly proportional to pressure.