How to Calculate Ideal Gas State Properties Using Molecular Dynamics?

So, in summary, it is recommended to use the internal thermal energy and volume-constant heat capacity from the thermochemistry section of the Gaussian output file for calculations of thermodynamic properties. It is also suggested to refer to the Gaussian website for further assistance.
hosein
Dear all,
I want to calculate thermodynamical properties of my molecule which I am calculating its thermodynamical properties of non-ideal part using Molecular dynamics. I need ideal gas state total energy, Cp, and Cv in several different temperatures. I am using opt+freq at B3lyp/6-311++G(d,p) setting to calculate thermochemistry properties. I am using gaussian 09, and I have some question, and I will be really grateful for your answers:
1- I would control temperature, but do you think I should change the pressure from its default (=1) to zero(or near zero) because of enforcing ideal situation, or it is not important in Ab initio simulation?
2- I need energy, Cp, and Cv. Thermochemistry part of frequency has total thermal energy, Cp, and Cv. Do you think I should use this total energy as my molecule calculations ideal part or the total energy in HF at the near of the end of output file of gaussian? How about Cp and Cv? If the energy should not be taken from thermochemistry part(why?) how can I use Cp and Cv there?

Best regards

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I'm not familiar with calculation of thermodynamic properties using Gaussian, but here's my try from common sense. Also your wording is a bit confusing, so sorry if I am completely misunderstanding your question.

1) Gaussian calculates the energies and heat capacities of the molecule as an ideal gas so it shouldn't matter. All you have to do is calculate the frequency of the molecule, and you'll get CV. You can easily convert that into CP for ideal gas by CP = R + CV.

2) From the context of your post, you are not trying to calculate the energy of the entire system. You are trying to calculate the internal thermal energy arising from molecular vibration. So you should use internal thermal energy "E (Thermal)" and volume-constant heat capacity "CV" that is in the table at near the end of the log file.

Reference: http://gaussian.com/thermo/

HAYAO

Last edited:
Likes TeethWhitener
HAYAO said:
I was about to post this exact website. It's been a lifesaver for me doing thermo in Gaussian in the past.

1. What is the ideal gas state equation?

The ideal gas state equation, also known as the ideal gas law, is a mathematical relationship between the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of an ideal gas. It is represented by the formula PV = nRT, where P is the pressure, V is the volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature.

2. How is the ideal gas state equation derived?

The ideal gas state equation is derived from the combination of three gas laws: Boyle's law, Charles's law, and Avogadro's law. These laws describe the relationships between pressure and volume, temperature and volume, and moles and volume, respectively. By combining these laws, the ideal gas state equation is obtained.

3. Can the ideal gas state equation be applied to real gases?

No, the ideal gas state equation is only an approximation for real gases at low pressures and high temperatures. Real gases have intermolecular forces that affect their behavior, making them deviate from ideal gas behavior. At low pressures and high temperatures, these forces become negligible, and the ideal gas state equation can be used.

4. What are the units of the ideal gas constant (R)?

The units of the ideal gas constant (R) depend on the units used for pressure, volume, temperature, and moles in the ideal gas state equation. In SI units, R has a value of 8.314 J/mol·K. In other unit systems, such as the CGS system, R has different values and units.

5. What are the limitations of the ideal gas state equation?

The ideal gas state equation has several limitations, including the assumption that gases behave ideally, which is not always the case. It also does not account for the volume of gas particles and assumes they have no volume. Additionally, the equation is not accurate at high pressures and low temperatures, where real gases deviate significantly from ideal gas behavior.