Identification of a ratio using Refractive indices (RESOLVED)

In summary, the student was trying to find the mole fraction (X) of two substances using only the data found in a lab, but was unsure how to approach the problem. After some attempts, they realized they needed to set up a system of equations and use substitution to solve for X, with the knowledge that the sum of all X values must equal 1.
Airp

Homework Statement

I need to find the X of two substances using only the data found in lab. Which is: nmixture=1.4156 nbutan-2-one=1.3787
ntoluene=1.4970 For the mixture, I don't know what X (the mole fraction) is. That is what I must find out.

Homework Equations

nmixture= (Xbutan-2-one *nbutan-2-one) + (XToluene *nToluene)

The Attempt at a Solution

IMG_20150906_212558.jpg

What I did here is I said let x be equal to X for the butan-2-one and y be equal to X for the toluene...Then finding two equations to do a substitution...which obviously did not work...I also tried other things that basically ended up worse than this...I'm really stuck and I would need a lead! Thank you in advance for your help :) !

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, I actually found the solution... You have to add the X's which equal to one. With the system of equation you can substitute and only then you only have one unknown! (Is there a way to close the thread as it is not useful anymore :) )

1. What is refractive index?

Refractive index is a measure of how much a material slows down light as it passes through it. It is a dimensionless quantity and is typically denoted by the symbol n.

2. How is refractive index measured?

Refractive index can be measured using a refractometer, which uses the principle of Snell's law to determine the angle at which light is bent as it passes through a material. This angle is then used to calculate the refractive index.

3. Why is refractive index useful for identification of a ratio?

Refractive index is useful for identification of a ratio because it is a unique property of each material and can be used to differentiate between substances. By comparing the refractive index of an unknown substance to known values, the substance can be identified.

4. Are there any limitations to using refractive index for identification of a ratio?

Yes, there are limitations to using refractive index for identification of a ratio. The accuracy of the measurement can be affected by factors such as temperature, impurities, and the presence of multiple substances in a sample. Additionally, some materials may have similar refractive indices, making it difficult to distinguish between them.

5. How is refractive index used in scientific research?

Refractive index is used in a variety of scientific research fields, such as chemistry, physics, and materials science. It can be used to determine the composition and purity of substances, as well as to study the optical properties of materials. It is also commonly used in the development of new materials and in quality control processes for industrial products.