How Do You Identify Resonance Structures for SO4^2- and H3PO4?

In summary, the two resonance structures for SO4 two minus and H3PO4 are: SO4 two minus: -S-O-S-H3PO4: -P-O-P-
nobb
Hey
There are two questions asking me to identify the resonance structures for:
SO4 two minus and H3PO4 (sorry, I don't know how to do subscripts)
Could someone please explain to me how to do these resonance structures? Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First note that the sulfate anion has a sulfur covalently bonded to four oxygens two of which have a negative charge and are singly bonded and the other two are double bonded. Now shift the pi electrons from either negatively charged oxygen to the S-O bond while shifting a pair of pi electrons from either of the two doubly bonded oxygen-Sulfur bonds to the oxygens to get identical resonance structures (do this for each such oxygen).

I'll leave H3PO4 to you now. I think its

HO-(O=P)-OH
|
OH

Check it though.

Cheers
Vivek

Ok...I managed to draw this resonance structure. But could you please explain why two oxygens are double bonded to the sulfur, while two oxygens are singly bonded? How did you know to do this? I am really confused on resonance structures.
By the way...are you sure the H3PO4 you described is right? I did a google image search and it appears that there are 4 oxygen atoms bonded to the phosphorus.

Last edited:
Please check the structure for H3PO4 it didn't come out correctly in the post. Why google it. Your book would have it (every standard general chem textbook has something--usually--on oxyacids of chlorine, phosphorous).

Sometime back I replied to somebody's query about lewis structures. This link may help you: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=45144&highlight=Clarke's+Method

Structures of acids, cations and anions are very frequently encountered in general chemistry (and more so in theoretical organic chemistry where resonance in these "species" is the core of most ideas) so I suggest you become familiar with them with repeated practice. I just knew how to do it because I've done it before.

Hope that helps...

Cheers
Vivek

Related to How Do You Identify Resonance Structures for SO4^2- and H3PO4?

1. What is the purpose of identifying resonance structures?

The purpose of identifying resonance structures is to accurately depict the distribution of electrons in a molecule or ion. Resonance structures help us understand the stability and reactivity of a molecule by showing how the electrons are delocalized.

2. How do you identify resonance structures?

To identify resonance structures, you must first determine if the molecule or ion has multiple bonds or lone pairs of electrons. Then, you can move these electrons around to different positions within the molecule, while keeping the overall connectivity of the atoms the same. The resulting structures are the resonance structures.

3. Can a molecule have more than one resonance structure?

Yes, a molecule can have multiple resonance structures. This is because the delocalization of electrons can occur in different ways, resulting in different possible structures. These structures are all valid and contribute to the overall electronic distribution of the molecule.

4. How do you determine the major resonance structure?

The major resonance structure is the one that contributes the most to the overall electronic distribution of the molecule. This can be determined by considering the electronegativity of the atoms and the formal charges on each atom. The major resonance structure is typically the one with the most stable atoms and the most minimized formal charges.

5. Can resonance structures affect the physical properties of a molecule?

Yes, resonance structures can affect the physical properties of a molecule. For example, the presence of multiple resonance structures can make a molecule more stable, which can affect its melting and boiling points. Resonance structures can also affect the polarity of a molecule, which can impact its solubility and reactivity.