If a 1000kg Mass resting on a friction free airbed....

In summary: What are your rules?In summary, a 1000kg mass would recover 95-98.5% of the electrical braking energy if it was accelerated and deaccelerated by a linear motor.
Fizzics
Question: If a 1000kg Mass resting on a friction free airbed is accelerated from zero to 1 Metre per second by a drive motor, then the motor is disconnected, how much electrical braking energy could be recovered from the moving mass in percentage terms using modern technology. Thank you in advance for your considered replies which should be very helpful to me.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If the mass is a magnet traveling through the coil of a linear motor, then the efficiency should be comparable to a power transformer - in the commercial sector, about 95 to 98.5%.
It depends on how "off-the-shelf" you require. If you want to use super-conductors, you could get higher efficiencies.

.Scott said:
If the mass is a magnet traveling through the coil of a linear motor, then the efficiency should be comparable to a power transformer - in the commercial sector, about 95 to 98.5%.
It depends on how "off-the-shelf" you require. If you want to use super-conductors, you could get higher efficiencies.
Hi Scott,
I'm talking about a non magnetic mass accelerating then deaccelerating in a linear fashion oscillating backwards and forwards, I was also wondering whether it is actually possible to have a 1000kg magnet working in the way you have suggested?

Am I allowed to attach something to it? If I do nothing, how long will it stay on the track? Is it also subject to air resistance?
If it's non-magnetic, I will need to "touch" it in some other way. For example,attaching it to a magnet or placing it onto a trolley.
What are your rules?

Can I arrange an elastic collision between the 1Mg mass and another 1Mg mass that is magnetic?

Hi Scott
Thanks for your feedback it has been very helpful and food for thought, I hope to come back with a reply to your last question in the next couple of days.

Fizzics said:
I'm talking about a non magnetic mass accelerating then deaccelerating in a linear fashion oscillating backwards and forwards,
Why accelerate and decelerate if you do not need to? A big spring at each end of the track, or one mounted on the cart would be more economical.
If it was a railway I would advocate raising the ends of the track. If you needed a longer time at the ends a flat "landing" could be provided.

Related to If a 1000kg Mass resting on a friction free airbed....

1. What is a friction-free airbed?

A friction-free airbed is a theoretical concept in which the surface of the airbed has zero resistance to motion. This means that there is no friction between the airbed and any object placed on it, allowing for smooth movement.

2. How does the mass of the object affect the airbed?

The mass of the object affects the airbed by causing it to sink or compress. The heavier the object, the more it will sink into the airbed and create a larger depression.

3. Will the airbed continue to support the 1000kg mass indefinitely?

No, the airbed will eventually sink and compress under the weight of the 1000kg mass. This is because the air inside the airbed will gradually leak out, causing a decrease in pressure and support.

4. How does the air pressure inside the airbed affect the mass?

The air pressure inside the airbed helps to support the mass by exerting an upward force that counteracts the weight of the mass. As the air pressure decreases, the support provided to the mass also decreases.

5. Can the airbed be considered a true frictionless surface?

No, the airbed cannot be considered a true frictionless surface as there will always be some amount of friction present, even if it is minimal. In addition, the airbed may also have imperfections or inconsistencies that can affect the motion of objects placed on it.