If A^2 = 0, then A is not an invertible matrix

• Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, this proof by contradiction shows that if A is invertible then there is a non-trivial zero in the kernel of A.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Suppose that ##A^2 = 0##. Show that ##A## is not an invertible matrix

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

We can do a proof by contradiction. Assume that ##A^2 = 0## and that ##A## is invertible. This would imply that ##A=0##, which is to say that A is not invertible, since ##0## has no inverse. This is a contraction, so it must be the case that if ##A^2 = 0##, then ##A## is not invertible.

Is this the way I should be doing this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

We can do a proof by contradiction. Assume that ##A^2 = 0## and that ##A## is invertible. This would imply that ##A=0##, which is to say that A is not invertible, since ##0## has no inverse. This is a contraction, so it must be the case that if ##A^2 = 0##, then ##A## is not invertible.

I first thought - and this might well have been intended - that you should show, that there is a non-trivial element in the kernel of ##A##, namely the entire image of ##A##, but I like your solution better.

Likes Mr Davis 97
Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Looks good to me as well. Note that you can prove this directly by using determinants, but I suspect you are not allowed to use determinants at this stage.

Mr Davis 97 said:
We can do a proof by contradiction. Assume that ##A^2 = 0## and that ##A## is invertible. This would imply that ##A=0##,
There are nonzero matrices so as A2=0. You should prove that they are not invertible.
For example, the square of the following matrix is zero.
\begin{pmatrix}

0 & 1 \\
0 & 0

\end{pmatrix}

Last edited:
ehild said:
There are nonzero matrices so as A2=0. You should prove that they are not invertible.

If A^2 = 0 and A is invertible, this implies A^(-1) A^2 = A^(-1) 0 = 0. No need to bother with non-invertible A's here.

1. What is an invertible matrix?

An invertible matrix is a square matrix that has an inverse, meaning it can be multiplied by another matrix to produce the identity matrix.

2. Can all matrices be inverted?

No, not all matrices are invertible. A matrix can only be inverted if its determinant is non-zero.

3. What does it mean if A^2 = 0?

If A^2 = 0, it means that the matrix A multiplied by itself results in the zero matrix. This is also known as a nilpotent matrix.

4. How does A^2 = 0 relate to invertible matrices?

If A^2 = 0, then A is not an invertible matrix. This is because if A multiplied by itself results in the zero matrix, then there is no matrix that can be multiplied by A to produce the identity matrix.

5. What are the practical implications of A^2 = 0 for scientists?

The practical implications of A^2 = 0 are that the matrix A cannot be inverted, meaning it cannot be used for certain mathematical operations such as division. This can limit the applicability of certain mathematical models and equations in scientific research.