Invertibility of the product of matrices

In summary, the homework statement states that if A is invertible then there exists a matrix C such that CA = I. This can be proven by using the associative property and the fact that CAB = IB = I. However, it is shown that B is not invertible, which contradicts the invertibility of AB.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Let A and B be n by n matrices such that A is invertible and B is not invertible.
Then, AB is not invertible.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

We know that A is invertible, so there exists a matrix C such that CA = I. Then we can right -multiply by B so that CAB = IB = I. Then by the associative property C(AB) = I. By the same argument, we can show that there is a C such that (AB)C = I. So AB has an inverse.

Obviously this is wrong, because in order for AB to have an inverse, both A and B must have an inverse. So what am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
CAB=IB but you can't conclude IB=I, IB=B

Maybe you should concentrate on the non invertible part. What does it mean to B, not being invertible? Is there a positive property, i.e. without the use of non, not or no?

Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement

Let A and B be n by n matrices such that A is invertible and B is not invertible.
Then, AB is not invertible.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

We know that A is invertible, so there exists a matrix C such that CA = I. Then we can right -multiply by B so that CAB = IB = I. Then by the associative property C(AB) = I. By the same argument, we can show that there is a C such that (AB)C = I. So AB has an inverse.

Obviously this is wrong, because in order for AB to have an inverse, both A and B must have an inverse. So what am I doing wrong?

What tools/results are you allowed to use? Do you know about determinants? Do you know how determinants relate to the invertability/non-invertability of a matrix?

Assume that ##AB## is invertible. This means that there is a ##C## such that ##CAB = I## and ##ABC = I##. Can you prove now that ##B## is invertible? (and thus deriving a contradiction).

1. What is the definition of invertibility of the product of matrices?

Invertibility of the product of matrices refers to the ability to find an inverse matrix when two or more matrices are multiplied together. An inverse matrix is a matrix that, when multiplied with the original matrix, results in an identity matrix (a matrix with 1s along the diagonal and 0s everywhere else).

2. How do I determine if the product of two matrices is invertible?

A product of two matrices is invertible if and only if both matrices are square and both are invertible. This means that both matrices must have the same number of rows and columns, and both must have an inverse matrix.

3. Can the product of matrices be invertible if one of the matrices is not invertible?

No, if one of the matrices in the product is not invertible, then the entire product will not be invertible. This is because the inverse of a matrix only exists if the matrix is square and has a non-zero determinant, both of which are necessary for invertibility of the product.

4. How do I find the inverse of the product of two matrices?

To find the inverse of the product of two matrices, first find the inverse of each individual matrix. Then, multiply the two inverse matrices in the reverse order of the original product. For example, if the product of matrices A and B is invertible, then the inverse of A*B is equal to the inverse of B multiplied by the inverse of A.

5. Is the inverse of the product of matrices commutative?

No, the inverse of the product of matrices is not commutative. This means that the order in which you multiply the inverse matrices matters. In general, (A*B)^-1 is not equal to B^-1 * A^-1. However, if the matrices are both diagonal or both triangular, then the inverse of the product will be commutative.