If curl A = 0, how is it the gradient of something?

In summary: This is a little more complicated, but the basic idea is that you take the curl of a vector field with respect to some basis (i.e., a set of vectors that are linearly independent), and this vector field is just the vector cross product of the basis vectors.Here's a more detailed explanation, using an example. Suppose you have a vector field V that is the gradient of a scalar field ψ. You can think of V as being a vector pointing in the direction of the gradient ψ, with a magnitude equal to ψ. The curl of V is just the vector cross product of V with the basis
dreamLord
I'm looking for a physical proof, something I can understand easily, though a mathematical proof might help too.

Apologies if its the wrong section, encountered this while studying mechanics :|

Physics news on Phys.org
What makes you think curl is supposed to be a gradient of something?
Surely grad is the gradient?

You need to properly formulate your questions, you should have asked:

"If [itex] \displaystyle{\nabla \times \vec{A} = \vec{0}} [/itex] why does it follow that there must be a [itex] \phi(x) [/itex] such as [itex] \displaystyle{\vec{A}=\nabla \phi} [/itex] ? "

Hi Dreamlord
Do you know the ∇ operator ?
∇ is a sort of notational "trick" that let you think about it as a vector
(the vector (∂/∂x, ∂/∂y, ∂/∂z))
the gradient of a scalar field is simply multiplying ∇ by the scalar
the curl of a vector field is simply the vector cross product of ∇ and this vector field
the cross product of two collinear vectors is always 0.
if you take the curl of something which is a grad of some field ψ, it looks like this:
∇x(∇ψ), but ∇ψ is clearly collinear to ∇, since it is just ∇ 'times' ψ
therefore, ∇x(∇ψ)=0
for the same reason, if ∇xA is 0, then A must be collinear to ∇, which means it can be written as ∇ 'times' some ψ, and therefore A is the gradient of some ψ

@Simon ; I meant why is Vector A the gradient of a scalar?

@Dexter ; yes, that is what I meant, thank you for rephrasing it.

@Oli4 ; I'm a little uncomfortable with that method. How would you link your explanation to say a conservative force (A is conservative in this case, right?)

dreamLord said:
@Oli4 ; I'm a little uncomfortable with that method. How would you link your explanation to say a conservative force (A is conservative in this case, right?)

Hmm, I wouldn't link it I guess.
A is conservative yes, we have shown that since rot(A)=0 then A must be the gradient of some scalar field, this in turns means that the force is conservative because it can be proved (gradient theorem) that therefore the line integral through this gradient is path independent.
(for a force, it means the work done by this force over any path does not depend on the path itself but only of the end points)

Supposing A vector is some sort of force. Can you tell me how to express it as a gradient of a scalar, if I know that its closed integral over a path is zero?

Let us start at the beginning.

curl (v) is never zero.

zero is a scalar and curl (v) is a vector.

curl (v) can be the zero vector (0,0,0). This is still valid vector, but it does not possesses a unique direction, any direction will do.

Studiot said:
Let us start at the beginning.

curl (v) is never zero.

zero is a scalar and curl (v) is a vector.

curl (v) can be the zero vector (0,0,0). This is still valid vector, but it does not possesses a unique direction, any direction will do.

It is very customary to call the zero vector (0,0,0) (or whichever null vector) just zero, just as it is customary to call 1 the identity matrix and so on. unless there is risk of confusion, the context is generally enough

Customary or not that is slack terminology.

Dextercioby has already drawn attention to this formally, but his point seems not to have been heard.

The distinction is very important in this question.

May I know why the distinction is so important in this question ?

May I know why the distinction is so important in this question ?

Of course, but I was trying to determine your maths level. You asked for a physical explanation - to do with forces.

Do you know what a vector field and partial derivatives and the curl itself are? (It's easy to explain if you don't)

It's a bit hard to give an intuitive reason, but the math is not that complicated (working here in three-dimensional Euclidean space, i.e., "classical vector analysis").

First let's look at a vector field that is the gradient of a scalar field,
[tex]\vec{V}=-\vec{\nabla} \phi.[/tex]
In cartesian coordinates you have
[tex]V_j=-\partial_j \phi.[/tex]
Suppose now that [itex]V_j[/itex] are continuously differentiable wrt. all three coordinates, then you necessarily have
[tex]\partial_k V_j-\partial_j V_k=-(\partial_k \partial_j-\partial_j \partial_k) \phi=0,[/tex]
because under these assumptions the partial derivatives commute. The hodge dual of this antisymmetric tensor is the curl of the vector field, i.e., we have (coordinate independently!)
[tex]\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{V}=0.[/tex]
Here I use, as usual in the physics literature, the symbol "0" for both scalar and vector quantities. There shouldn't be any trouble with this, for mathematicians somewhat sloppy, notation. It's clear from the context, that here we mean the zero vector of Euclidean vector space. I wouldn't like the notation (0,0,0), because that are the components of the zero vector wrt. to a basis but not the coordinate independent zero vector itself.

Now the question is the opposite, i.e., given that for a continuously differentiable vector field
[tex]\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{V}=0[/tex]
holds in some region of space, does there always exist a scalar field such that the vector field is given by the gradient.

The answer is often yes, but not always! It depends on the region of space, where the curl vanishes and where the vector field is well defined. The answer is that in any open region that is simply connected the assertion is correct. Simply connected means that any closed curve within this region can be continuously contracted to a single point within this region.

Then it is easy to show that for any curve [itex]\mathcal{C}(\vec{x}_1,\vec{x})[/itex], connecting a fixed point [itex]\vec{x}_1[/itex] with [itex]\vec{x}[/itex] fully contained in that region, the integral
[tex]\phi(\vec{x})=-\int_{\mathcal{C}(\vec{x}_1,\vec{x})} \mathrm{d} \vec{y} \cdot \vec{V}(\vec{y})[/tex]
is independent of the particular choice of the curve. Since the region has been assumed to be open, one can also take the gradient of this field, and it is easy to show that indeed
[itex]\vec{\nabla} \phi=-\vec{V}.[/itex]

There's another theorem of this kind. If for a continuously differentiable vector field [itex]\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{V}=0[/itex] in a simply connected open region, then there exists a vector potential [itex]\vec{A}[/itex], such that
[tex]\vec{V}=\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{A}[/tex]
in this region.

These are special cases of Poincare's lemma, specialized to three-dimensional space. You find the proof in any textbook on vector calculus (I know only German ones, so that I can't give a particular reference).

Then there is Helmholtz decomposition theorem, stating that any "sufficiently nice" vector field can be decomposed into a gradient and a vector field. The former contains all sources and the second all vortices of the field. I.e. there is always a scalar and a vector potential such that
[tex]\vec{V}=-\vec{\nabla} \phi+\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{A}.[/tex]

Vj=−∂jϕ.

What if they don't exist?

For example the force example asked for by the OP.

@Studiot: A is differentiable (otherwise curl A does not make sense), and therefore you can construct V and ϕ where the used derivatives exist (as vanhees71 does in the post).

vanhees71 said:
The answer is that in any open region that is simply connected the assertion is correct.
That is an important requirement, I just want to highlight it here.A quite intuitive (imo) approach: Just construct your ϕ: Fix an arbitrary point x0 to an arbitrary value ϕ(x0) , determine ϕ(x) at all other points by integrating A over an arbitrary path from x0 to x. The path does not matter, as curl(A) and therefore (+simply connected region +Stokes) the integral over all closed curves is 0. You now have ϕ, and its gradient is A simply by construction.

Thanks everyone (especially the ones who wrote out the formulae!), I think I've understood the mathematical aspect of it now.

Kleppner and Kolenkow 5.8 says it can be proved by using physical arguments - how would one do that?

If you have understood the mathematical derivation consider the following vector fields

Edit : Fy edited sorry.

1) Force Field A has Fx = -by and Fy = +bx

2) Force Field A has Fx = +by and Fy = +bx

Are the fields conservative or not?

3) Lewis Hamilton drives around the track at Monza.
Associating (a) A scalar field and (b) A vector field with one single circuit does the line integral around the circuit exist. What does it mean? Are the fields differentiable?

4) A point load Fp acts at the centre of a beam. Does this force have a curl? If so what is it?

Last edited:

Related to If curl A = 0, how is it the gradient of something?

1. How can a curl equal zero?

When the curl of a vector field is equal to zero, it means that the field is irrotational. This means that there are no swirling or rotational components in the field. In other words, the field is conservative and does not change when moving along a path in any direction.

2. What is the significance of a curl being equal to zero?

A curl of zero indicates that the vector field is gradient. This means that the field can be expressed as the gradient of a scalar function, also known as a potential function. The potential function represents the rate of change of a quantity in a particular direction and is useful in understanding the behavior of the vector field.

3. How is a gradient related to a curl?

A gradient and a curl are both mathematical operations performed on vector fields. The gradient is a measure of the rate of change of a scalar function in a particular direction, while the curl is a measure of the rotation or circulation of a vector field. When the curl of a vector field is equal to zero, it means that the field is conservative and can be expressed as the gradient of a scalar function.

4. Can a vector field have both a non-zero curl and a potential function?

No, a vector field cannot have both a non-zero curl and a potential function. This is because a non-zero curl indicates that the field is not conservative and has swirling or rotational components. A potential function, on the other hand, represents a conservative field with no rotational components.

5. How is the concept of a curl and a gradient used in physics?

The concepts of curl and gradient are used extensively in physics to understand the behavior of vector fields in different physical systems. For example, in electromagnetism, the curl of an electric field represents the presence of a magnetic field, while the gradient of a scalar potential represents the electric field. In fluid dynamics, the curl of a velocity field represents the vorticity or rotation of the fluid, while the gradient of a scalar potential represents the velocity of the fluid. These are just a few examples of how these concepts are applied in physics.