If tension provides the torque to this pulley, what is its equation?

haseebaslam
Homework Statement
A bucket of weight 15.0 N (mass of 1.53 kg) is hanging from a cord wrapped around a pulley. The pulley has a moment of inertia of pulley=0.385 kgm^2 (of radius R = 33.0 cm). The cord is not stretched nor slip on the pulley. The pulley is observed to accelerate uniformly. If there is a frictional torque at the axle equal to, =1.10Nm. First calculate the angular acceleration, α, of the pulley and the linear acceleration of the bucket.
Relevant Equations
a = α*radius
Net Torque = I*angular acceleration
15 - Tension = 1.53*a
T = 15 - 1.53*R*α
T*0.33 - 1.10 = Iα
Is this approach correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
haseebaslam said:
Homework Statement: A bucket of weight 15.0 N (mass of 1.53 kg) is hanging from a cord wrapped around a pulley. The pulley has a moment of inertia of pulley=0.385,m^2 (of radius R = 33.0 cm). The cord is not stretched nor slip on the pulley. The pulley is observed to accelerate uniformly. If there is a frictional torque at the axle equal to, =1.10⋅m. First calculate the angular acceleration, α, of the pulley and the linear acceleration of the bucket.
Relevant Equations: a = α*radius
Net Torque = I*angular acceleration

15 - Tension = 1.53*α
T = 15 - 1.53*r*α
T*0.33 - 1.10 = Iα
Is this approach correct?
Always start with an extended FBD...

You have
##15 - T = 1.53 a##

and
##T = 15 - 1.53ra##

Is the "a" in this second equation supposed to be an ##\alpha##?

-Dan

Likes haseebaslam
Some problems with the units. Is the MoI of the pulley 0.385 kg m2?
Is the frictional torque 1.10Nm?
Your first equation has force on the left, mass/time2 on the right, but I see you corrected that in the next line.

But your approach looks right.

Likes topsquark and haseebaslam
topsquark said:
Always start with an extended FBD...

You have
##15 - T = 1.53 a##

and
##T = 15 - 1.53ra##

Is the "a" in this second equation supposed to be an ##\alpha##?

-Dan
Sorry about that, the a in my first equation is for linear acceleration. In the second equation, I substitute linear acceleration to get angular acceleration in the equation.

haseebaslam said:
Sorry about that, the a in my first equation is for linear acceleration. In the second equation, I substitute linear acceleration to get angular acceleration in the equation.
Angular acceleration is ##\alpha## (alpha) and the relation is ##a=\alpha r.## Do you see the difference between the symbols for Greek ##\alpha## and Latin ##a##?

So if you wish to substitute, you should write ##T=15-1.53r\alpha##, not ##T=15-1.53ra.##

Likes topsquark
Note: I highly suggest working with symbols rather than values until you reach a final expression for whatever you wish to compute. Inserting numbers at an early stage makes it less clear where things come from and makes it harder to check for errors. You also run the risk of introducing rounding errors down the line. Only insert numerical values at the very end.

Likes jim mcnamara and topsquark

1. What is tension in physics?

Tension is a force that is applied to an object in a direction that is opposite to the direction of the object's movement. It is a measure of the pulling force that is exerted on an object.

2. How is tension related to torque?

Tension is one of the forces that can provide torque, which is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object. In the case of a pulley, the tension in the rope or cable that is wrapped around it provides the torque that causes the pulley to rotate.

3. What is the equation for calculating tension in a pulley system?

The equation for calculating tension in a pulley system is T = F x r, where T is the tension, F is the force applied, and r is the distance from the point of rotation to the point where the force is applied. This equation is based on the principle of torque, which states that the torque applied to an object is equal to the product of the force and the distance from the point of rotation.

4. How can tension be increased in a pulley system?

Tension can be increased in a pulley system by increasing the force applied to the rope or cable, or by decreasing the distance between the point of rotation and the point where the force is applied. This can be achieved by using a larger force or by changing the position of the pulley.

5. What factors can affect tension in a pulley system?

The tension in a pulley system can be affected by various factors such as the weight of the object being lifted, the angle of the rope or cable, and the friction between the rope or cable and the pulley. The type of material used for the rope or cable can also impact the tension, as well as the condition and design of the pulley itself.