I'm 18 and haven't had a GF yet

• Thread starter inception7
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about being single at a young age and whether one should actively pursue a relationship or let it happen naturally. Some believe that waiting and focusing on personal growth can be beneficial, while others suggest making female friends as a way to potentially find a romantic interest. There is also discussion about the instability of relationships in high school and the importance of not putting too much pressure on finding a partner. Ultimately, it is suggested to be open to opportunities and not to force anything.
1. Get in shape.

2. Try going for girls a couple years younger then you.

3. Don't turn down a girl just because you think it won't lead to anything serious. You never know.

4. Talk to as many girls as possible.

Physics news on Phys.org
Galteeth said:
2. Try going for girls a couple years younger then you.

Worst advice in this thread, sorry.

Go for any age. Though I have found the older women are more exciting.

khemist said:
Worst advice in this thread, sorry.

Go for any age. Though I have found the older women are more exciting.

Of course. But as I remember, most senior girls in high school were going out with college guys. And most freshman girls in college are dating upper class men.

I know how you feel. I'm your age and I've only ever had one serious relationship. In retrospect it was a waste of time because we were still in high school and she was immature. Just hold out. You'll find someone.

How is a serious relationship - even one in high school - a "waste of time"? Did you spend your entire relationship playing cribbage?

DaveC426913 said:
How is a serious relationship - even one in high school - a "waste of time"? Did you spend your entire relationship playing cribbage?

Are you suggesting that cribbage is a waste of time? ;)

I see your point DaveC. Perhaps I should have said, "What I thought was a serious relationship". I spent most of the relationship infatuated with her and spending all my money on her only to realize towards the end that she was extremely immature and was using me. Hope that clarifies.

Gamble93 said:
I see your point DaveC. Perhaps I should have said, "What I thought was a serious relationship". I spent most of the relationship infatuated with her and spending all my money on her only to realize towards the end that she was extremely immature and was using me. Hope that clarifies.

At least you learned something.

Its good to have those failed relationships in high school, so that when one gets out into the real world one has a better idea of what to do and what not to do.

Gamble93 said:

Is it so bad to be infatuated? :blushing:
To be with someone that makes you feel good, even though it costs you some money?
In time she obviously didn't make you feel so good any more, and then you broke it off.
No real harm done.
You had a good time and you have gained some experience.
It would be worse if you had kids for instance!

Nothing is wrong with infatuation. Haha. :) I did enjoy myself. I guess I'm just bitter and cynical because our break up was rather rocky. And yes, I am very glad that we never had kids, though she did try to persuade me at one point. Either way, I'm sure the OP will find someone.

I like Serena said:
Is it so bad to be infatuated? :blushing:
To be with someone that makes you feel good, even though it costs you some money?
Yes, if she was in the relationship under false pretenses.

DaveC426913 said:
Yes, if she was in the relationship under false pretenses.

Interesting statement.
As it is, I have a strong dislike for dishonest people who end up hurting people.
I can imagine that when found out, it would be very dispiriting, leading to distrust in future relationships.

Somehow I think you have more to say about it.
Could you elaborate?

I like Serena said:
Interesting statement.
As it is, I have a strong dislike for dishonest people who end up hurting people.
I can imagine that when found out, it would be very dispiriting, leading to distrust in future relationships.

Somehow I think you have more to say about it.
Could you elaborate?
No, I was simply picking up on Gamble's post where he said "What I thought was a serious relationship. "
You wondered what's bad about infatuation, and spending money, but that assumes he was aware of it. To me, it sounds like he was being taken for a ride. So yes it's bad.

Im 21 and I've been in 2 relationships!I have very few girls in my college and i want to meet someone new!
Any advice?

to OP: you have a great future ahead of you!

OP: It could be worse. I'm 24 and have never had a girlfriend, no biggie. I've spent way too many years obsessing over that, huge source of embarrassment, but its not worth it. Formerly a self-esteem problem(which culminated with 2-3 years of borderline unhealthy work-out habits), I'm the culprit because I'd much rather remain single than have single girl I know. I have become a bit picky which doesn't help, but I'll be damned if I have to share my time with someone who is boring just for the sake of some female company.

I know how infatuations feel, but in time you'll barely be remembering said person's name after you get rejected, so please do NOT let the emotions get to you. Employ all your efforts to your (healthy) hobbies, academics, etc. and avoid absolutely ALL dating advice or pickup lines, save yourself the embarrassment!

You should amend that last one to be "avoid absolutely all dating advice from people who have never had a girlfriend."

inception7 said:
Another pitiful thread, but I'll go ahead and mention this.

I'm 18, turning 19 soon...and I have been single so far! To be honest, I've never been in any particular rush to have a girlfriend.

I'm somewhat of a spontaneous person, waiting for love to simply happen. I don't go and pursue it, although it seems I may have to now...

Am I doomed?

just focus on Jesus and things will fall into place.

Likes EM_Guy
anthrosoc said:
just focus on Jesus and things will fall into place.
Well, Jesus was a guy... and Lavabug has stated he likes girls ... so I'm sayin' this is contraindicated...

Yeah, that would be kind of gay. And you know how Jesus feels about the gays.