I'm confused about this excited electron configuration

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between two electron configurations, a and b, and which one represents an excited state. While both configurations violate Hund's rule, only b truly represents an excited state as an electron was promoted from 2s2 to 2pz1. Choice a, on the other hand, is just written incorrectly as it should be 1s2 2s2 2px1 2py1. Both configurations may seem similar, but there is a subtle difference that makes b the only one in an excited state.
veganscientist
I have already turned in my homework for chemistry however I'm still confused about this question:
Which electron configuration is in an excited state?
a.1s2 2s2 2px2
b.1s2 2s1 2px1 2py1 2pz1

My teacher told me that the only choice b was excited because choice a was in violation of Hund's rule. I am confused because I thought both of these choices were in violation of Hund's rule, and I'm not sure what the difference is. I know that choice a has an iccorect filling order because for 2px to have 2 electrons both 2py and 2pz would need 1 e-. Also I know that choice b has an incorrect filling order because the 2s needs to be filled before p can have any e-. So I thought both a and b would excited bacause they had electrons in the wrong places. Any and all help with this will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
I understand where you are coming from.

I think that , although both configurations are in violation of Hund's rule, only b represents a truly "excited" state because an electron from a 2s2 orbital was promoted to 2pz1.

Choice a, in contrast, is just written improperly. Whereas it should be 1s2 2s2 2px1 2py1, but an electron was demoted to the 2px2.

This is just my observation, but yes this is a tricky question. Maybe I overlooked something. If you ever find a definite answers, please message me. I'd like to know what it is.

You are perfectly right.
Clearly, a is an excited configuration, too.

1. What is an excited electron configuration?

An excited electron configuration refers to the arrangement of electrons in an atom or molecule when one or more electrons have been promoted to a higher energy level or orbital. This can occur when the atom or molecule absorbs energy, such as through heat or light.

2. How is an excited electron configuration different from a ground state configuration?

In a ground state configuration, all electrons in an atom or molecule are in their lowest possible energy levels or orbitals. In an excited electron configuration, one or more electrons have been promoted to higher energy levels or orbitals, resulting in a higher overall energy state for the atom or molecule.

3. What causes an electron to become excited?

An electron can become excited by absorbing energy, such as through heat, light, or an electrical current. This extra energy allows the electron to move to a higher energy level or orbital, creating an excited electron configuration.

4. How does an excited electron configuration affect an atom or molecule?

An excited electron configuration can affect an atom or molecule in several ways. It can change the chemical and physical properties of the atom or molecule, making it more reactive or unstable. It can also affect the absorption and emission of light, which is important in fields such as spectroscopy.

5. How can we observe an excited electron configuration?

An excited electron configuration can be observed through various techniques, such as spectroscopy, which measures the absorption and emission of light by the atom or molecule. It can also be detected through changes in chemical reactivity or by examining the energy levels of the electrons using mathematical models.