I'm losing my mind trying to get my Physiology Degree

In summary: Hi everyone! I am a new member and I am trying to decide if I need cardiovascular physiology for my degree. I have been told that some of the courses I need to take are not included in the program I am enrolling in. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what those courses might be. I also want to know if there is a way to get around not taking those courses. Welcome to PF, and glad you found us! Though, hmm...how have you been managing to succeed in physiology without having a physics course previously? Or are you running into a bit of a mental stumbling block when you're told it's physics as opposed to, say, cardiovascular physiology
Mr. Sinister
I'm new here and I am dumb as rocks in physics. I need a couple of semesters of physics for my degree. By the way my name is Jon. I am extremely happy I found this site! I never had a Physics course before last semester! Guess what happened? I failed it! It was only introductory physics 102. I am retaking it now and the exam I just took I got a 10% on! Talk about walking on the road of shame... The funny thing is .. is that I am pretty good at O-Chem and Physiology! Physics is just completely brutal to me! It doesn't help either that in the tutor room there is 30 students to one tutor. I feel like I found a pot of gold here considering how much physics is driving me nuts!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, and by all means, make use of the Introductory Physics Homework Forum.

By the way, I see you are a Satch fan! It just so happens I met him and he signed a poster for me. I then had it framed in a awesome silver frame! I had to mention this because the picture frame is to the right of me! He is one of the nicest rock stars I have ever met. Crystal Planet is my favorite album!

Hi Jon and welcome to PF, and glad you found us! Though, hmm...how have you been managing to succeed in physiology without having a physics course previously? Or are you running into a bit of a mental stumbling block when you're told it's physics as opposed to, say, cardiovascular physiology? (Much of what you learn in cardiovascular phys is based heavily on physics.) :wink:

Feel free to pop on into the Med Sci or Biology forums to get your physiology fix too. :smile:

Mr. Sinister said:
By the way, I see you are a Satch fan! It just so happens I met him and he signed a poster for me. I then had it framed in a awesome silver frame! I had to mention this because the picture frame is to the right of me! He is one of the nicest rock stars I have ever met. Crystal Planet is my favorite album!
Cool! Satch is a really nice guy. I've seen his interaction with people on his website. Not too many stars go out of their way like that. And he plays smaller venues, which is nice.

Is There Love in Space? is another favorite album. Searching and Raspberry Jam Delta-V are my favorite Satriani tunes.

Like Moonbear mentioned, we have Biology and Medical Science Forums, so please make use and contribute to those.

As for physics, Hyperphysics - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html - is a really useful site, otherwise use the PF Homework forums.

Last edited:
Welcome Jon! I actually am a tutor for physics and am in the same situation as you with the 30 students to one tutor, except I'm the tutor! So, I know that the tutoring sessions can get frustrating. Anyway, enjoy PF and make use of the Homework help forum as you need it.

Thanks everyone, I am trying to be a chiropractor and I am not sure if I need cardiovascular physiology. I know that when I hit some 400 level courses I have an option on which ones I can take. I am a Junior right now, I have some options, I can finish out my degree in Arizona or I can travel to Oregon and jump right into Chiropractor college! I have to somehow get through two semesters of Physics before I can do that! Like I said, I never had physics ever!

Mr. S, have you checked with the Chiropractic College to determine exactly which courses are needed?

Well, to transfer the only courses that are left for me to do are Physics 102, 103 and Organic Chemistry 241a and b. I am currently enrolled in Physics 102 and 241a. Oh yeah I also need to take one more lab each for each class. I at least got a B on my Physics lab last semester! If I don't pass my physics class this semester I might be kicked out of the college of medicine.

Mr. Sinister said:
Thanks everyone, I am trying to be a chiropractor and I am not sure if I need cardiovascular physiology.

You said you're getting a physiology degree. What sort of physiology program doesn't teach cardiovascular? And, I would hope anyone practicing any sort of health profession would learn all the systems and how they interact.

1. What are the job opportunities with a Physiology degree?

There are many job opportunities for individuals with a Physiology degree. Some of the most common career paths include working as a medical researcher, clinical physiologist, healthcare professional, or in the pharmaceutical industry. Other options may include teaching, consulting, or working in a government agency.

2. Is a Physiology degree difficult to obtain?

Like any degree in the sciences, obtaining a Physiology degree can be challenging. It requires a strong foundation in biology, chemistry, and math, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills. However, with dedication and hard work, it is certainly achievable.

3. What are some common courses in a Physiology degree program?

Some common courses in a Physiology degree program may include human anatomy and physiology, biochemistry, genetics, cell biology, and neuroscience. Other courses may focus on specific areas such as cardiovascular physiology, respiratory physiology, or endocrine physiology.

4. Can I specialize in a specific area of Physiology?

Yes, many universities offer the option to specialize in a specific area of Physiology, such as exercise physiology, reproductive physiology, or neurophysiology. This allows individuals to focus on their specific interests and career goals within the field.

5. What skills will I gain from a Physiology degree?

A Physiology degree will provide you with a strong understanding of the human body and its functions. You will also gain skills in data analysis, critical thinking, and laboratory techniques. Additionally, you will develop skills in communication, teamwork, and problem-solving, which are valuable in any career path.