I'm not sure if this is what you were looking for, but hopefully it helps.

In summary: For equation (3), we set $y=0$ and solve for $x$ to get $x=1$. So the stable manifold is the curve that includes the rest point.For equation (4), we set $x=1$ and solve for $y$ to get $y=0$. So the stable manifold is the curve that includes the rest point and goes through the origin.
Fantini
Gold Member
MHB
Consider the system of differential equations

$$x' = 2x - e^y (2+y),$$ $$y' = -y.$$

Find the stable and unstable manifolds near the rest point.

I know that the stable manifold $W^s$ is a immersed surface in $\mathbb{R}^2$ with tangent space $E^s$ (the stable linear subspace). How can I compute the stable and unstable manifolds? I can't find decent instructions anywhere. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Fantini said:
Consider the system of differential equations

$$x' = 2x - e^y (2+y),$$ $$y' = -y.$$

I know that the stable manifold $W^s$ is a immersed surface in $\mathbb{R}^2$ with tangent space $E^s$ (the stable linear subspace). How can I compute the stable and unstable manifolds? I can't find decent instructions anywhere. Thanks.

Let's start with a qualitative approach to the system of differential equations.
The vector plot looks like this.
(Just learned how to make vector plots with W|A. ;))

You're looking for a curve through the rest point such that its tangent satisfies the equations at all points (or is a multiple thereof).

So what is the rest point?
Can you solve the system and find a curve that includes the rest point?

The rest point is found by solving simultaneously the equations. We find that $y=0$ and then $2x - 2 = 0$ or $x=1$. Therefore the rest point is $(1,0)$.

We also know that the linearization of the system is $$\begin{bmatrix} 2 & 0 \\ 0 & -1 \end{bmatrix}.$$ I believe we can conclude that the stable manifold has dimension one (it is a curve).

I've seen in some places that we assume that $y$ can be parametrized as a function of $x$ to get this curve, or $y = \phi (x)$. But then what?

Good. :)

Fantini said:
I've seen in some places that we assume that $y$ can be parametrized as a function of $x$ to get this curve, or $y = \phi (x)$. But then what?

So... can you solve the system and write it as $y = \phi (x)$?
After that we'll see...

What do you mean by solve the system? By setting each equation to zero or as they are? In the latter I don't think such is possible. This is why I read that we assume it can be written and work from there. :confused:

Fantini said:
$$\begin{array}{ll}x' = 2x - e^y (2+y) & \qquad (1) \\
y' = -y & \qquad (2) \end{array}$$

Fantini said:
What do you mean by solve the system? By setting each equation to zero or as they are? In the latter I don't think such is possible. This is why I read that we assume it can be written and work from there. :confused:

Let's see...
For example:
$$\begin{array}{lcll}
y' &=& -y & \qquad \text{starting from (2)}\\
\frac{y'}{y} &=& -1 \\
\ln y &=& -t + C \\
y &=& c_2 e^{-t} & \qquad (3)\\
t &=& -\ln(y/c_2) & \qquad (4)\\
\\
x' &=& 2x - e^y (2+y) & \qquad \text{continuing from (1)} \\
x' &=& 2x - e^{c_2 e^{-t}}(2+c_2 e^{-t}) & \qquad \text{substituting (3)}\\
\dots \\
x &=& c_1 e^{2t} + e^{c_2 e^{-t}} & \qquad (5)\\
x &=& c_1 e^{2 \cdot -\ln(y/c_2)} + e^y & \qquad \text{substituting (3) and (4)}\\
\dots
\end{array}
$$

Last edited:

1. What is a stable manifold?

A stable manifold is a set of points in a dynamical system that converge towards a stable fixed point in the system. It represents the long-term behavior of a system and is often used to predict the future state of the system.

2. What is an unstable manifold?

An unstable manifold is a set of points in a dynamical system that diverge away from an unstable fixed point in the system. It represents the short-term behavior of a system and is often used to understand the sensitivity of the system to initial conditions.

3. How are stable and unstable manifolds related?

Stable and unstable manifolds are complementary to each other, representing the two types of behavior that can occur in a dynamical system. They intersect at the fixed point, and their combined behavior determines the overall dynamics of the system.

4. How are stable and unstable manifolds useful?

Stable and unstable manifolds are useful for understanding the behavior of complex systems, such as weather patterns, economic systems, and biological systems. They can help predict future states and identify critical points in the system.

5. What techniques are used to study stable and unstable manifolds?

There are various mathematical and computational techniques used to study stable and unstable manifolds, such as phase portraits, Lyapunov exponents, and numerical simulations. These techniques allow scientists to visualize and analyze the behavior of these manifolds in different systems.