Looking for ideas for a final mechanics project

In summary, the group is designing an experiment to determine how far away from a wind turbine an object needs to be to avoid getting hit by the blades.
Like Tony Stark
Hi, the thing is that I have a subject called "Lab I" where we have to design experiments related to optics or mechanics, collect data and then write down our findings on a paper.

Now, as a final project, my group and I have to design an experiment related to mechanics. It must be an experiment that, somehow, brings up something "useful"; I mean, it's not just about collecting data.

The topic that we were given is "Projectile motion: parabola of safety", and as I've told you previously, the experiment mustn't be something like "if you place something here, you'll be able to hit it; if you place something here, you'll not be able to hit it".
Obviously, we don't have to do something revolutionary, but we don't have to do an experiment for children.

The topic is not very wide, so I can't come up with any idea apart from hitting things with projectiles. Can you help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Like Tony Stark said:
Hi, the thing is that I have a subject called "Lab I" where we have to design experiments related to optics or mechanics, collect data and then write down our findings on a paper.
Sounds like a fun project! :smile:
Like Tony Stark said:
Now, as a final project, my group and I have to design an experiment related to mechanics. It must be an experiment that, somehow, brings up something "useful"; I mean, it's not just about collecting data.
Still sounds like a fun project!
Like Tony Stark said:
The topic that we were given is "Projectile motion: parabola of safety"
Given by whom? That's a real downer IMO compared to the original project definition.
Like Tony Stark said:
as I've told you previously,
Link?

What level is this? In what course? High school? University? What year?

If you are doing a final year in high school you might not have much calculus. Or only one intro course. If you are doing a university course in mechanics you should have quite a bit of calculus.

But there are lots of things you could do. Here's one. I want a mention in your "thanks" section if you use it.

Consider the set-back required from wind turbines because they can fling ice during the winter. You would first need to find out the size and speed of typical wind turbines. Figure out typical conditions of blade length and speed, and suppose the ice leaves the blade from various angles and from various locations on the blade. How far away from the turbine do you need to be in order to avoid getting hit? Does it make any difference if the ice slides along the blade for a while before flying off? How much could it slide first? What difference, if any, will the wind make to the calculations of the flight distance of the ice? How about the minimum altitude a plane must maintain to avoid getting struck by ice? Don't forget the elevation of the blade at the release point.

1. What is a mechanics project?

A mechanics project is a project that involves applying the principles and laws of mechanics to solve a problem or create a solution. It can involve designing, building, or analyzing a mechanical system or device.

2. How do I come up with ideas for a mechanics project?

One way to come up with ideas for a mechanics project is to think about everyday problems or challenges that can be solved using mechanical principles. You can also look for inspiration from existing mechanical systems or devices and try to improve or modify them.

3. What are some examples of mechanics projects?

Examples of mechanics projects include building a simple machine, designing a mechanism to solve a specific problem, analyzing the motion of a system, or creating a prototype for a new mechanical device. Other examples could involve studying the behavior of fluids or analyzing the forces acting on a structure.

4. What materials or resources do I need for a mechanics project?

The materials and resources needed for a mechanics project will depend on the specific project idea. Generally, you will need tools and materials for building and testing prototypes, as well as resources for researching and understanding the principles and laws of mechanics relevant to your project.

5. How do I ensure the success of my mechanics project?

To ensure the success of your mechanics project, it is important to have a clear understanding of the problem you are trying to solve and the principles of mechanics that apply to it. It is also crucial to plan and organize your project well, gather and analyze data accurately, and continuously test and improve your design. Seeking feedback from others and being open to making changes can also contribute to the success of your project.