I'm struggling on manipulating kinematics

• Thread starter Rebecca Berger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, an expression for v that has no explicit dependence on time can be written as v=+-√v0^2+2a(X-X0)+2a*s.
Rebecca Berger

Homework Statement

Given the equations X=X0+v0t+1/2at^2 and v=v0t+at, show that an expression for v that has no explicit dependence on time can be written as v=+-√v0^2+2a(X-X0)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought I would manipulate the first given equation to be X-X0/t = [1/2(v-v0)] but as I got to the end it didn't work. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Rebecca Berger said:

Homework Statement

Given the equations X=X0+v0t+1/2at^2 and v=v0t+at, show that an expression for v that has no explicit dependence on time can be written as v=+-√v0^2+2a(X-X0)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought I would manipulate the first given equation to be X-X0/t = [1/2(v-v0)] but as I got to the end it didn't work. Please help.
Welcome to the PF.

Please show us in detail your work. We can try to help if you show your work to us. :smile:

Rebecca Berger said:
v=v0t+at,
Shouldn't this be v=v0+at?
I believe taking square on both the sides of this equation would help.

I took X=X0+v0t+1/2at^2 and separated v0t because v=v0+at so it can just say vt . I then subtracted X0 from both sides and divided by t on both sides. My final equation was X-X0/t=[1/2(v+v0)]

cnh1995 said:
Shouldn't this be v=v0+at?
I believe taking square on both the sides of this equation would help.
Yes, sorry I made a typo

Rebecca Berger said:
I took X=X0+v0t+1/2at^2 and separated v0t because v=v0+at so it can just say vt . I then subtracted X0 from both sides and divided by t on both sides. My final equation was X-X0/t=[1/2(v+v0)]
I manipulated the wrong equation

the standard notation is v=u+at and s=ut+1/2*a*t2. Express t=(v-u)/a, substitute in s eqn, simplify and you get the answer. v2-u2=2as.

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of motion and its causes, without taking into consideration the underlying forces that cause the motion.

2. What are some common examples of kinematics?

Some common examples of kinematics include a car accelerating on a straight road, a ball being thrown in the air, and a pendulum swinging back and forth.

3. How do you manipulate kinematics equations?

To manipulate kinematics equations, you can use algebraic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. You can also use substitution and rearranging equations to solve for different variables.

4. What is the difference between kinematics and dynamics?

Kinematics deals with the study of motion without considering the forces that cause the motion, while dynamics is the study of the causes of motion, including the forces that act on an object.

5. How can understanding kinematics be useful in real life?

Understanding kinematics can be useful in real life for a variety of applications such as designing vehicles, predicting projectile motion, and creating animations in movies and video games.