When will the two trains collide?

• Thread starter Rebecca Berger
  • Start date
In summary, two trains are approaching each other on a track, with one coming from the east and the other from the west. Both trains have a velocity of 10m/s with respect to the ground and are initially 7,500 meters apart. They both accelerate towards the east at a constant rate of .025 meters/s^2. To find the time of collision, the equations X=X0+V0t+1/2at^2 and V^2=V0^2+2a(X-X0) are used. However, since the velocities are different for each train and they are going in different directions, the equations must be solved separately. One train will have a positive velocity and the other will have a
Rebecca Berger

Homework Statement

Two trains approach each other on a straight level track: one from the east and the other from the west. Initially they are 7,500 meters apart and have a spray of 10meters/s with respect to the ground. If both locomotives accelerate toward the east at a constant rate of .025 meters/s^2, in how many minutes will they collide?

Homework Equations

X=X0+V0t+1/2at^2
V=V0+at
V^2=V0^2+2a(X-X0)

The Attempt at a Solution

For our class we're only allowed to use these equations. At dust I thought it would be simple to just find X but I forgot we weren't given final velocity. I'm missing v,x, and t. I tried plugging the numbers into the last equation to find X, but I just got v=10m/s +2(.025m/s)(X-0) or for the other train v=10m/s +2(.025m/s)(X-7500) I always end up with two missing parts. I might be over looking something, or have been spending too much time on homework and just need to sleep it out. Please let me know if I'm missing something! Thank you so much.

Physics news on Phys.org
I meant a speed of 10m/s, sorry

Rebecca Berger said:

Homework Statement

Two trains approach each other on a straight level track: one from the east and the other from the west. Initially they are 7,500 meters apart and have a spray of 10meters/s with respect to the ground. If both locomotives accelerate toward the east at a constant rate of .025 meters/s^2, in how many minutes will they collide?

Homework Equations

X=X0+V0t+1/2at^2
V=V0+at
V^2=V0^2+2a(X-X0)

The Attempt at a Solution

For our class we're only allowed to use these equations. At dust I thought it would be simple to just find X but I forgot we weren't given final velocity. I'm missing v,x, and t. I tried plugging the numbers into the last equation to find X, but I just got v=10m/s +2(.025m/s)(X-0) or for the other train v=10m/s +2(.025m/s)(X-7500) I always end up with two missing parts. I might be over looking something, or have been spending too much time on homework and just need to sleep it out. Please let me know if I'm missing something! Thank you so much.
I don't see how using that equation will help you. It doesn't have time in it, and you don't have any direct information about how the velocities are related except at t = 0. Also, you did not square the velocities.

You should use a different symbol for velocity of each train.

Isn't it true that v0 is different for each train? Are they going the same direction initially?

SammyS said:
I don't see how using that equation will help you. It doesn't have time in it, and you don't have any direct information about how the velocities are related except at t = 0. Also, you did not square the velocities.

You should use a different symbol for velocity of each train.

Isn't it true that v0 is different for each train? Are they going the same direction initially?
I asked my physics professor that question, he said they're going different directions but one is slowing down but the other is speeding up, but they both start at 10m/s, I would have thought one would be going a negative velocity. But what you're saying is that I do use the second equation, but I just plugged in the numbers wrong?

Rebecca Berger said:
I asked my physics professor that question, he said they're going different directions but one is slowing down but the other is speeding up, but they both start at 10m/s, I would have thought one would be going a negative velocity. But what you're saying is that I do use the second equation, but I just plugged in the numbers wrong?
I would not use the second equation either.

Yes, one velocity should be negative.

Related to When will the two trains collide?

1. When will the collision occur?

The exact timing of a collision between two objects depends on various factors such as their mass, velocity, and trajectory. It is difficult to predict with certainty, but scientists can estimate a range of possible collision times based on these factors.

2. How do scientists determine if two objects will collide?

Scientists use mathematical models and simulations to determine the likelihood of a collision between two objects. They also use data collected from observations and measurements to track the trajectories of these objects and make predictions.

3. What are the potential consequences of a collision between two objects?

The consequences of a collision can vary depending on the size and composition of the objects. In some cases, it can result in a catastrophic event, such as the extinction of species or major damage to infrastructure. In other cases, it may not have a significant impact at all.

4. How can collisions between objects in space be prevented?

NASA and other space agencies use advanced tracking systems to monitor the positions and trajectories of objects in space. If a potential collision is detected, they can take measures such as adjusting the orbit of the objects to avoid a collision.

5. Are there any ongoing efforts to prevent collisions between objects in space?

Yes, there are ongoing efforts to prevent collisions between objects in space. These include space debris removal missions, development of collision-avoidance technology, and international cooperation to regulate space activities and minimize the risk of collisions.