Image Magnification: Find Height of Image with f=42

In summary: It's very fussy if it expects an answer of ##h=-13 ## cm because of two sig figs when the exact answer is 12.6. If I were giving it as a problem, I would call the answer ## h=+12.6 ## cm.
Noreturn

Homework Statement

f=42[/B]
Find the height of the image produced when a 3.0 cm -high object is placed at distance f+10cm

Homework Equations

u13l3f1.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

1/52= 1/3 +1/di

di=49

However, this is wrong for some reason. Thanks

Attachments

• u13l3f1.gif
    u13l3f1.gif
    230 bytes · Views: 665
Physics news on Phys.org
## f=42 ## and doesn't change. ## d_o=f+10=52 ##. Find ## d_i ##. After you do that, there's one more formula that you need. ## \\ ## Incidentally, your arithmetic is incorrect: ## 1/52 \neq 1/3+1/49 ##. When you solve for ## d_i ## on this second try, you need to compute it with proper arithmetic.

Charles Link said:
## f=42 ## and doesn't change. ## d_o=f+10=52 ##. Find ## d_i ##. After you do that, there's one more formula that you need. ## \\ ## Incidentally, your arithmetic is incorrect: ## 1/52 \neq 1/3+1/49 ##. When you solve for ## d_i ## on this second try, you need to compute it with proper arithmetic.

So di= 218.4

hi/ho=-di/do

hi/3=218.4/52

hi=-12.6cm

That is still wrong tho. I know it can't be negative just tells us it's inverted. Where did I go wrong?

Noreturn said:
So di= 218.4

hi/ho=-di/do

hi/3=218.4/52

hi=-12.6cm

That is still wrong tho. I know it can't be negative just tells us it's inverted. Where did I go wrong?
I agree with your answer. If it is a computer program, try inputting +12.6 cm. Usually these images are specified with positive heights even though they are inverted.

So I guess it wanted it input as a negative, (even though height can't be negative?). So when I do -12.6 it says very close try/check rounding. However when I do ((1/42)-(1/52))^-1 I get 4.2 so multiply that by 3 it's 12.6 even.

Noreturn said:
So I guess it wanted it input as a negative, (even though height can't be negative?). So when I do -12.6 it says very close try/check rounding. However when I do ((1/42)-(1/52))^-1 I get 4.2 so multiply that by 3 it's 12.6 even.
It's very fussy if it expects an answer of ##h=-13 ## cm because of two sig figs when the exact answer is 12.6. If I were giving it as a problem, I would call the answer ## h=+12.6 ## cm. One problem with computerized answers is that they are incapable of doing any thinking.

1. How do you calculate image magnification?

Image magnification is calculated by dividing the height of the image by the height of the object. The formula is M = hi/ho, where M represents magnification, hi represents the height of the image, and ho represents the height of the object.

2. What is the significance of f=42 in this scenario?

f=42 represents the focal length of the lens being used. This value is necessary to calculate image magnification and determine the height of the image.

3. Can image magnification be negative?

No, image magnification cannot be negative. It is always a positive value that indicates how much larger or smaller an image appears compared to the object.

4. Is there a limit to the maximum image magnification that can be achieved with f=42?

Yes, there is a limit to the maximum image magnification that can be achieved with f=42. The maximum magnification is equal to the focal length divided by the object distance, or Mmax = f/ho. So, with f=42, the maximum magnification will be lower if the object distance is large.

5. How does changing the focal length affect image magnification?

Changing the focal length will also change the image magnification. A shorter focal length will result in a larger image magnification, while a longer focal length will result in a smaller image magnification. This is because a shorter focal length allows the lens to bend light more, resulting in a larger image.