Height of the image of Jupiter created by the objective lens

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the height of the image of Jupiter created by the objective lens of a telescope. The homework equations of M = -q/p and q = f are used to calculate the magnification. However, the focal length of the eyepiece is not taken into account. The suggestion is made to redo the calculations, taking into account the eyepiece's focal length and using the known height of Jupiter when the image passes through the eyepiece.
Nathan B

Homework Statement

I have the following variables:
f = .93 m
f(e) (eyepiece) = .0082 m
distance toJupiter pj = 588 E^9
diameter of Jupiter dj = 139822 E^3

Find the height of the image of Jupiter created by the objective lens of a telescope.

Homework Equations

M = -q/p
q = f
Where M is the magnification, q is the image location, and p is the object location.

The Attempt at a Solution

This seems like a straight forward problem: find the magnification, multiply by the original diameter, and done:

M = -f / pj
dj2 = dj * f / pj = 139822 E^3 * .93 / 588 E^9 = 2.21 E^-4

According to my homework, this is incorrect and the correct answer is 2.07 E^-4
My answer is so close I figure I must be approximating something I shouldn't, but I can't figure out where I'm going wrong here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nathan B said:
M = -f / pj
dj2 = dj * f / pj = 139822 E^3 * .93 / 588 E^9 = 2.21 E^-4

According to my homework, this is incorrect and the correct answer is 2.07 E^-4
My answer is so close I figure I must be approximating something I shouldn't, but I can't figure out where I'm going wrong here.

I don't think you are taking into account the focal length of the eyepiece itself. The focal length of the eyepiece has a small effect which is why you are so close to the answer. Just do the same calculations again taking into account the eyepiece.

lekh2003, how do you propose that I do that? I know I can get angular magnification from the eye piece, but I need lateral magnification and the problem specifically states that it wants the image made by the objective lens.

Nathan B said:
lekh2003, how do you propose that I do that? I know I can get angular magnification from the eye piece, but I need lateral magnification and the problem specifically states that it wants the image made by the objective lens.
I'm sorry, I don't know how telescopes work, but I'm going to take a guess here on what you need to do.

When the image of Jupiter passed through the original lens, you found the new height of Jupiter. I think you should just do the same thing again.

You know the height of Jupiter when the image hits the eyepiece and you know the magnification of the eyepiece, so you should have your equation ready to solve for the final height.

I hope this helps.

1. What is the height of the image of Jupiter created by the objective lens?

The height of the image of Jupiter created by the objective lens depends on the specific properties of the lens, such as its focal length and magnification power. It will also vary based on the distance between the lens and the object being observed.

2. How can the height of the image of Jupiter be calculated?

The height of the image of Jupiter can be calculated by using the formula: height of the image = height of the object x magnification. The magnification can be determined by dividing the focal length of the lens by the focal length of the eyepiece.

3. Does the height of the image of Jupiter change when using different objective lenses?

Yes, the height of the image of Jupiter will change when using different objective lenses. This is because each lens has a different focal length and magnification power, which will affect the size of the image produced.

4. Can the height of the image of Jupiter be affected by atmospheric conditions?

Yes, atmospheric conditions such as air turbulence, humidity, and temperature can affect the height of the image of Jupiter created by the objective lens. This is because these factors can cause distortion or blurring of the image.

5. How does the height of the image of Jupiter compare to its actual size?

The height of the image of Jupiter created by the objective lens will be significantly smaller than its actual size. This is due to the vast distance between Earth and Jupiter, as well as the limitations of the lens's magnification power.