Imaginary Numbers Derivation

In summary, the conversation is about deriving the inequality |z1z2*+z1*z2| ≤ 2|z1z2|, where z1 and z2 are arbitrary complex numbers. The attempt at a solution involves using the triangle inequality and graphing hypothetical complex numbers to visually understand the concept. The relation between |z1*z2| and |z1z2*| is discussed, and it is shown that |z1z2*+z1*z2| ≤ 2|z1z2| using the triangle inequality and the fact that |Re(a)|≤|a|.
ElijahRockers
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Derive the following relation, where z1 and z2 are arbitrary complex numbers

|z1z2*+z1*z2| ≤ 2|z1z2|

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the expression |z1z2*+z1*z2| = |2(a1a2+b1b2)| = √(4[a12a22 + 2a1a2b1b2 +b12b22])

But that is where I get stuck. How does the equal sign become an inequality? Also, there are no imaginary terms in my expression, but there ARE imaginary terms in the right hand side, so I think I am doing something wrong.

I also tried doing the derivation using polar forms but it got complicated very quickly.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would try to keep z1 and z2 as they are (so don't split them in a+ib) as long as possible. As both sides are always positive (or zero): Have you tried squaring them?

In your expression, there is no |z1z2|.

Well as far as I understand, I have to start with the expression |z1z2*+z1*z2| and somehow find that it is less or equal to 2|z1z2|.

The only way I can think to manipulate the first expression is by taking the magnitude.

In an earlier problem I derived:

|z1z2*+z1*z2| = 2[itex]\Re[/itex]{z1z2*} = 2[itex]\Re[/itex]{z1*z2} which is similar to what I'm trying to do, but where does the inequality come from?

Have you thought about the triangle inequality?

No, in all honesty I had never heard of it. I looked it up, and I think I see what you are getting at, but I'm not sure how to go about using that.

I tried graphing some hypothetical complex numbers and their conjugates, and visually multiplying them (adding the angles, multiplying the magnitudes) and it's pretty clear that the triangle inequality proves that statement, since 2|z1z2| will always be larger than the 'side' resulting from adding z1*z2 and z1z2* together... I'm just not sure how to show that algebraically. I even have a review sheet of complex number properties next to me but I don't really see anything that let's me get from one side to the other.

ElijahRockers said:
No, in all honesty I had never heard of it. I looked it up, and I think I see what you are getting at, but I'm not sure how to go about using that.

I tried graphing some hypothetical complex numbers and their conjugates, and visually multiplying them (adding the angles, multiplying the magnitudes) and it's pretty clear that the triangle inequality proves that statement, since 2|z1z2| will always be larger than the 'side' resulting from adding z1*z2 and z1z2* together... I'm just not sure how to show that algebraically. I even have a review sheet of complex number properties next to me but I don't really see anything that let's me get from one side to the other.

|z1*z2+z1z2*|<=|z1*z2|+|z1z2*| is the triangle inequality, yes? What's the relation between |z1*z2| and |z1z2|?

can I argue that since |z1z2*+z1*z2| = 2R{z1z2*}, then it must be less than or equal to 2|z1z2| since 2|z1z2| can have imaginary components? where if 2|z1z2| only has real components they are equal, otherwise, 2|z1z2| is greater?

Dick said:
|z1*z2+z1z2*|<=|z1*z2|+|z1z2*| is the triangle inequality, yes? What's the relation between |z1*z2| and |z1z2|?

ohhh... they are equal right? |z1*z2| = |z1z2*| = |z1z2|

so directly from that and the trianlge inequality,

|z1*z2+z1z2*| <= |z1*z2| + |z1z2*|

|z1*z2+z1z2*| <= |z1z2| + |z1z2|

|z1*z2+z1z2*| <= 2|z1z2|

ElijahRockers said:
ohhh... they are equal right? |z1*z2| = |z1z2*| = |z1z2|

so directly from that and the trianlge inequality,

|z1*z2+z1z2*| <= |z1*z2| + |z1z2*|

|z1*z2+z1z2*| <= |z1z2| + |z1z2|

|z1*z2+z1z2*| <= 2|z1z2|

Yes, that's it.

ElijahRockers said:
can I argue that since |z1z2*+z1*z2| = 2R{z1z2*}, then it must be less than or equal to 2|z1z2| since 2|z1z2| can have imaginary components? where if 2|z1z2| only has real components they are equal, otherwise, 2|z1z2| is greater?

I think what you actually proved is that |z1z2*+z1*z2|=2*|Re(z1z2*)| or the same thing without the absolute values. But it is true that |Re(a)|<=|a|, so you could go that way too.

Dick said:
But it is true that |Re(a)|<=|a|, so you could go that way too.

That's what I was trying to get at... my brain stopped working during the christmas break. :P Thanks for your help

1. What are imaginary numbers?

Imaginary numbers are numbers that can be written in the form of a real number multiplied by the square root of -1. They are denoted by the letter i and are commonly used in complex numbers and advanced mathematical equations.

2. How are imaginary numbers derived?

Imaginary numbers are derived by taking the square root of a negative number. For example, the square root of -4 can be written as 2i, where i is the imaginary unit. This process is known as the derivation of imaginary numbers.

3. What is the purpose of using imaginary numbers in mathematics?

Imaginary numbers are used in mathematics to solve equations that involve negative numbers under square roots. They are also used in complex numbers to represent two-dimensional quantities, such as in electrical engineering and quantum mechanics.

4. Can imaginary numbers be used in real-life situations?

Yes, imaginary numbers can be used in real-life situations, although they may not seem as tangible as real numbers. They are commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics to solve complex problems and model real-world scenarios.

5. How do imaginary numbers relate to the real number system?

Imaginary numbers are part of the complex number system, which includes both real and imaginary numbers. The real number line is represented on the horizontal axis, while the imaginary number line is represented on the vertical axis. Together, they form the complex plane and can be used to graph and solve complex equations.