Imaginary numbers what to do with them

In summary: I think I have found a workaround for my problem. I will post the solution in a separate topic.Thanks!In summary, Lars tried to solve for the peak velocity in a trapezoidal move where the following were already known: distance(d),total time(t),units of acceleration(Ma),units of deceleration(Ma),initial velocity(Vi), final velocity(always zero for my purposes). He found that one of the equations involved imaginary numbers and that he needed to use a different equation to get the correct answer.
larsbentley
I have attached an image showing the three possible solutions (as determined by Mathematica) when solving for the peak velocity(Vs) in a trapezoidal move where the following are already known: distance(d),total time(t),units of acceleration(Ma),units of deceleration(Ma),initial velocity(Vi), final velocity(always zero for my purposes).

One of these equations is presumably correct, and you will notice that the second two equations contain an imaginary number 'i" in two places in the equation. I am trying to write the correct equation up in a programing language that has no provision for incorporating imaginary numbers.

Is there a way I can rewrite these equations without the 'i' imaginary number... substituting the 'i' with a placeholder of some kind and changing the negative values that need to be "square rooted" with positive ones?

I already tried writing up the first equation which uses no 'i' imaginary numbers in the programming language but the value under the square root turns out to be a negative number, causing an illegal square root error. If I simply change the value to positive the equation will process but it does not give a true answer based on the known values I input. I'm guessing that this is not the equation that will give me the actual solution, so I will need to use one of the two equations that involve imaginary numbers.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Attachments

• speed formulas with ac dc counts2.jpg
    speed formulas with ac dc counts2.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 528
Physics news on Phys.org
Before you spend too much effort, you should try plugging in numerical values using Mathematica, to make sure you actually have the answer you wanted!

What language are you using, by the way?

Hurkyl,

Good suggestion! None of the three formulas returned valid results when I plugged values back into them, but the source formula does produce valid results so I am not sure when I am doing wrong. As you can see in the attached jpg I get an error:

"Solve::ratnz: Solve was unable to solve the system with inexact coefficients. The answer was obtained by solving a corresponding exact system and numericizing the result"

Perhaps there is another method to solve for this equation in Mathematica, or I am writing it up incorrectly?

I have attached a new jpg showing that when I make assumptions about the values Mathematica will return the correct result as the third answer in its set of possible solutions.

Attachments

• speed formulas with assumptions.jpg
    speed formulas with assumptions.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 473
larsbentley said:
I have attached an image showing the three possible solutions (as determined by Mathematica) when solving for the peak velocity(Vs) in a trapezoidal move where the following are already known: distance(d),total time(t),units of acceleration(Ma),units of deceleration(Ma),initial velocity(Vi), final velocity(always zero for my purposes).

One of these equations is presumably correct, and you will notice that the second two equations contain an imaginary number 'i" in two places in the equation. I am trying to write the correct equation up in a programing language that has no provision for incorporating imaginary numbers.

Is there a way I can rewrite these equations without the 'i' imaginary number... substituting the 'i' with a placeholder of some kind and changing the negative values that need to be "square rooted" with positive ones?

I already tried writing up the first equation which uses no 'i' imaginary numbers in the programming language but the value under the square root turns out to be a negative number, causing an illegal square root error. If I simply change the value to positive the equation will process but it does not give a true answer based on the known values I input. I'm guessing that this is not the equation that will give me the actual solution, so I will need to use one of the two equations that involve imaginary numbers.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

I know that is possible to denote complex numbers with matrices instead of using i. That should be easy to find.

Thanks Patrick...

I'm going to create a new topic to try to solve the problem with my Mathematica output before continuing because I don't have a formula that works anyway.

Lars

1. What are imaginary numbers and how do they differ from real numbers?

Imaginary numbers are numbers that when squared, result in a negative number. They are typically represented by the letter "i". Real numbers, on the other hand, are any number that can be plotted on the number line and include both positive and negative numbers.

2. How are imaginary numbers used in mathematics?

Imaginary numbers are used in various branches of mathematics, such as in complex analysis, number theory, and signal processing. They are also used in solving equations that have no real solutions, and in engineering and physics for modeling and calculations.

3. Can you perform arithmetic operations with imaginary numbers?

Yes, arithmetic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division can be performed with imaginary numbers. However, the result may be a complex number, which consists of both a real and imaginary part.

4. How do you represent imaginary numbers graphically?

Imaginary numbers can be represented on the complex plane, which is a two-dimensional graph where the horizontal axis represents the real numbers and the vertical axis represents the imaginary numbers. The point where the two axes intersect is the origin, and the distance from the origin to a point on the plane represents the magnitude of the complex number.

5. What are some real-world applications of imaginary numbers?

Imaginary numbers are used in many real-world applications, such as in electrical engineering for analyzing AC circuits, in economics for modeling supply and demand, and in quantum mechanics for describing the behavior of subatomic particles. They also have applications in music theory, fluid dynamics, and many other fields.