Imaginary Residuals in Solving the Schrodinger Equation

• I
  • Thread starter Bob3141592
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Imaginary
In summary: And adding a little bit: the modulus of a complex number is real, but it certainly depends on both the real and imaginary parts of the number we start with. ##z=1+2i## has non-zero imgainary part, but ##|z|^2=1^2+2^2=5## is real and depends on the ##2##.
Bob3141592
TL;DR Summary
An amateur asks: Do any solutions of quantum systems have non-zero imaginary components?
I guess the summary says it all, if the question is clear enough. The last time I took physics courses was 45 years ago, and the QM course blew my mind, meaning I was mostly baffled. I could not wrap my head around it, and without a conceptual framework I couldn't remember the details. So I basically washed out into computers, which at the time was a good option. Anyway, I kinda know some stuff, but mostly I know nothing.

I sort of remember in solving the Schrodinger equation (probably time independent but I doubt it matters), there were leftover imaginary parts that were just crossed off the blackboard. I was under the impression at the time that these imaginary residuals were just ignored. I don't recall the professor ever arguing that they must be zero. He may have, but if he did I missed the point. I missed a lot, for example, I have never worked with Dirac notation. But that was then, and I'd like to know now. It's a fairly general question that I don't know how to research, so I'll just ask here.

Any comments will be very appreciated. TIA

Physics news on Phys.org
Bob3141592 said:
Do any solutions of quantum systems have non-zero imaginary components?

It depends on what you mean by "solutions". Wave functions, i.e., mathematical solutions of the Schrodinger Equation, can certainly take values with non-zero imaginary components. But any actual observed result of a measurement must be a real number.

Likes vanhees71 and sysprog
Bob3141592 said:
I sort of remember in solving the Schrodinger equation (probably time independent but I doubt it matters), there were leftover imaginary parts that were just crossed off the blackboard.

This sounds somewhat fishy. The nonzero imaginary parts of wave functions produce quantum interference effects, which are well established experimentally (and indeed were among the main results that convinced physicists that classical, pre-quantum physics would not work), so you can't just cross them out and expect to make valid predictions.

Likes vanhees71 and sysprog
PeterDonis said:
It depends on what you mean by "solutions". Wave functions, i.e., mathematical solutions of the Schrodinger Equation, can certainly take values with non-zero imaginary components. But any actual observed result of a measurement must be a real number.

Yes, thanks, I get that. Let me ask this way. When the measurement is made, at that point is the coefficients of the imaginary components zero? Is the measurement only sampling the real part while the imaginary part could be anything, or is the measurement sampling the real part at it's "greatest extent" while the imaginary component is zero?

Bob3141592 said:
When the measurement is made, at that point is the coefficients of the imaginary components zero?

The imaginary components of what? Of the wave function? Of course not. The result you get from the measurement has to be a real number, but that number is not the same as the value of the wave function.

Bob3141592 said:
Is the measurement only sampling the real part while the imaginary part could be anything, or is the measurement sampling the real part at it's "greatest extent" while the imaginary component is zero?

No to both. The wave function gives you probabilities for various possible measurement outcomes; you obtain those probabilities by taking the squared modulus of the complex amplitudes that appear in the wave function.

Likes sysprog
PeterDonis said:
you obtain those probabilities by taking the squared modulus of the complex amplitudes

And adding a little bit: the modulus of a complex number is real, but it certainly depends on both the real and imaginary parts of the number we start with. ##z=1+2i## has non-zero imgainary part, but ##|z|^2=1^2+2^2=5## is real and depends on the ##2##.

1. What are imaginary residuals in the context of solving the Schrodinger equation?

Imaginary residuals refer to the imaginary part of the solution to the Schrodinger equation, which is a mathematical equation used to describe the behavior of quantum systems. The imaginary part represents the probability amplitude of the quantum state, while the real part represents the energy of the system.

2. Why are imaginary residuals important in solving the Schrodinger equation?

Imaginary residuals play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of quantum systems. They help us calculate the probability of a particle being in a certain state and provide information about the energy levels of the system. Without considering the imaginary part of the solution, we would not have a complete understanding of the quantum system.

3. How do scientists deal with imaginary residuals in solving the Schrodinger equation?

To deal with imaginary residuals, scientists use complex numbers and complex analysis techniques. This allows them to separate the real and imaginary parts of the solution and analyze them separately. They also use mathematical approximations and numerical methods to calculate the values of the imaginary residuals.

4. Can imaginary residuals have physical significance in quantum systems?

Yes, imaginary residuals can have physical significance in quantum systems. They represent the probability amplitude of the quantum state, which is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics. The imaginary part of the solution can also affect the energy levels and behavior of the system, making it an important factor to consider in quantum calculations.

5. Are there any real-world applications of understanding imaginary residuals in solving the Schrodinger equation?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of understanding imaginary residuals in solving the Schrodinger equation. Some examples include designing new materials with specific quantum properties, developing quantum computing algorithms, and predicting the behavior of atoms and molecules in chemical reactions.