"Immortal" jellyfish habitat range, Turritopsis dohrnii?

In summary, Dr. Maria Pia Miglietta is currently at TAMU and is the author of a talk on the subject of the range increase of the Turritopsis dohrnii species. There is no current data on the range increase, but the species is most likely T. nutricola not T. durnii. If you contact her and explain clearly what you want, and how you found her, she may be able to help you.
Martin Sallberg
What is the current habitat range of Turritopsis dohrnii or the "immortal" jellyfish? I know that there are multiple species of the Turritopsis genus and that the species dohrnii have recently increased its range by ballast water spread. What is the current range of the exact species dohrnii?

Biology news on Phys.org
I do not know. Google scholar does not have much. BTW:
Martin Sallberg said:
increased its range by ballast water spread.
How/where did find this? When you cite something it helps us to help you if you can give a reasonable citation. A lot of Cnidaria species in the "larval/planula" or some free-swimming medusa stages may get moved around this way.

I remember teaching the so-called reverse life cycle of Turritopsis: a medusa reverts to polyp stage. This gave rise to the immortal moniker.

jim mcnamara said:
I do not know. Google scholar does not have much. BTW:

How/where did find this? When you cite something it helps us to help you if you can give a reasonable citation. A lot of Cnidaria species in the "larval/planula" or some free-swimming medusa stages may get moved around this way.

I remember teaching the so-called reverse life cycle of Turritopsis: a medusa reverts to polyp stage. This gave rise to the immortal moniker.
I found the information at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turritopsis_dohrnii#Distribution_and_range
I want to know by how much they have spread, where.

Dr Maria Pia Miglietta -> (Penn State) Huck Institute is the author of a talk on the subject. There are no papers I found. And the species is T. nutricola not
T. durnii.

She is at TAMU now: http://www.tamug.edu/miglietta/
Her email is on the profile page. If you contact her, please explain clearly what you want, and how you found her. And if at all possible she will give you some help. There may be no current data.

Is this idle curiosity or are you doing some original research or a thesis paper? If research let her know your affiliation, too.

1. What is the natural habitat range of the "Immortal" jellyfish, Turritopsis dohrnii?

The "Immortal" jellyfish, Turritopsis dohrnii, can be found in temperate to tropical regions of the world's oceans, including the Mediterranean Sea, Caribbean Sea, and the waters off of Japan, Australia, and South America.

2. Can the "Immortal" jellyfish survive in habitats other than the ocean?

No, the "Immortal" jellyfish is a marine organism and requires a saltwater environment to survive.

3. How deep in the ocean can the "Immortal" jellyfish be found?

The "Immortal" jellyfish has been found at depths ranging from the surface to over 4,000 meters deep.

4. Is the "Immortal" jellyfish invasive to any habitats?

There have been some reports of the "Immortal" jellyfish being invasive to certain areas, such as the Black Sea, where it was introduced accidentally through ballast water from ships.

5. Are there any factors that limit the habitat range of the "Immortal" jellyfish?

The "Immortal" jellyfish is able to survive in a wide range of temperatures and salinities, but it is most commonly found in warm, coastal waters. It is also limited by its need for a substrate to attach to, such as rocks or other marine structures.