Impact & Gravitational Effects of Asteroids/Comets on Moons Orbit

In summary, an asteroid or comet would need to be a sizeable fraction of the moon's mass and pass very close to it in order to significantly alter its orbit. This would also have major consequences for the Earth, including global quakes, debris bombardment, and changes in Earth's orbit. While it is not impossible for this to happen, our current observations of the solar system suggest that all objects of sufficient mass have been accounted for.
MaverickBlue
How big would an asteroid or comet need to be to say, disturb the moons orbit, either by impact or gravitational attraction? And would this significantly alter the chances of "Death From Above"? :)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
To do more than change things a tiny amount it would have to be a sizeable fraction of the moons mass and pass very close to it. Probably much closer than the Moon is to the Earth.

MaverickBlue said:
And would this significantly alter the chances of "Death From Above"? :)

No.

The way you phrased your question suggests you're thinking of Death from Above via the Moon.

It would have to make a whopping change to the velocity of the Moon for it to collide with Earth. You would almost have to bring it to a halt. Anything less than that would merely put it in an eccentric orbit with a low perihelion. Of course, that would still cause quakes and the like...

No asteroid of any size could do that (since the Moon's momentum is far more than any asteroid).

By "death from above" I basically mean any object hitting the earth, either directly, or or by changing the moons orbit. So if the moons orbit were disturbed, and I don't just mean "big rock smashes moon which causes moon to smack into Earth like a billiard ball", are you saying that there's virtually no chance the moon's orbit would become irregular, thus leading to a possible eventual collision with the earth? It seems feasible to me that this could hypothetically happen, though the feasibility of a large enough object moseying along is questionable to me(as in, are there any objects this large wondering around the solar system), hence why I asked. :)

MaverickBlue said:
By "death from above" I basically mean any object hitting the earth, either directly, or or by changing the moons orbit.

Well any object could mean the asteroid. Certainly an encounter with the Moon could cause that.

MaverickBlue said:
...are you saying that there's virtually no chance the moon's orbit would become irregular, thus leading to a possible eventual collision with the earth?

It is not ruled out, but it would be very, very difficult to contrive the circumstances for it to happen.

MaverickBlue said:
are you saying that there's virtually no chance the moon's orbit would become irregular, thus leading to a possible eventual collision with the earth? It seems feasible to me that this could hypothetically happen, though the feasibility of a large enough object moseying along is questionable to me(as in, are there any objects this large wondering around the solar system), hence why I asked. :)

It is 100% possible if the right circumstances take place. I think our observations of the solar system have accounted for all objects of sufficient mass to do this however.

Just how big would an object need to be exactly?

It's not as simple as that. An object of mass great enough to cause the Moon to collide with Earth would also be large enough (and close enough) to
- cause global quakes
- pelt Earth with extinction-sized debris as the object broke up, and
- alter Earth's orbit.

MaverickBlue said:
Just how big would an object need to be exactly?

There isn't an exact amount. It depends on how close it gets to the moon, how fast it's traveling, and a myriad of other things. Let's just call it: Really freaking big.

1. How do asteroids/comets affect the orbit of a moon?

Asteroids and comets can affect the orbit of a moon in several ways. If a large asteroid or comet collides with a moon, it can alter its orbit by changing its velocity or direction. This can result in the moon moving closer or farther from its host planet. Additionally, the gravitational pull of an asteroid or comet passing by a moon can also cause its orbit to change slightly.

2. Can the impact of an asteroid/comet on a moon cause it to be ejected from its orbit?

Yes, it is possible for an asteroid or comet impact to cause a moon to be ejected from its orbit. This is more likely to occur if the moon is small and has a weaker gravitational pull, making it easier for an impact to disrupt its orbit. However, this is a rare occurrence and most moons have stable orbits that are not easily affected by asteroid or comet impacts.

3. How do scientists study the impact and gravitational effects of asteroids/comets on moons?

Scientists study the impact and gravitational effects of asteroids and comets on moons through a variety of methods, including observations from telescopes and spacecraft, computer simulations, and analysis of impact craters on moon surfaces. They also use data from past impacts to make predictions about the potential effects of future impacts on moons.

4. Can the impact of an asteroid/comet on a moon affect its geological features?

Yes, the impact of an asteroid or comet on a moon can significantly affect its geological features. Large impacts can create craters, mountains, and other surface features, while smaller impacts can cause changes in the moon's surface composition and create smaller craters. These impacts can also release heat and energy that may affect the moon's internal structure and cause volcanic activity.

5. Are there any potential dangers to moons from asteroid or comet impacts?

Yes, there are potential dangers to moons from asteroid and comet impacts. If a large asteroid or comet were to collide with a moon, it could potentially cause significant damage or even destroy the moon. In some cases, debris from the impact can also pose a threat to other nearby moons or planets. However, the likelihood of a catastrophic impact is relatively low and most moons are not at risk of being destroyed by an asteroid or comet impact.