Impedance graph of a transmission line powersystem in MATLAB/simulink

In summary, the conversation is about trying to plot the impedance locus of a transmission line in Matlab/Simulink, specifically when there is a short circuit fault. The person has read documents and noticed that there are red dots in the plot results, but they are unable to reproduce it in their simulation. They are asking for help to figure out what they have missed in their simulation and have provided their simulation file and the documents they are using as reference.
minhduc515
Homework Statement
impedance locus on R-X diagram in simuink
Relevant Equations
simulink, distance relay
I'm trying to plot impedance locus of transmission line in Matlab/Simulink.
I have readed some document and thay have plot result like that :

I'm trying to calculate impedance when system have short - circuit fault, and plot it on R-X diagram, but i can't get their *red - dot* result like those documents.
What i have missed in my simulation ?
This is my simulation file, which I choosed phase B and C are phase fault, so that Z = (Vb-Vc)/(Ib-Ic)
Link
This is documents i have and trying to simulate
Thanks for your help !

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A:The calculation of the impedance that you are doing is correct. The red dots are not the result of a calculation but the result of measurements taken at the fault location.The red dots can be obtained in Simulink by using a Scope block to display the values of Vb-Vc and Ib-Ic and place the Scope block at the point of the fault.

1. What is an impedance graph of a transmission line powersystem?

An impedance graph of a transmission line powersystem is a visual representation of the impedance values at different frequencies along the length of a transmission line. It shows the relationship between the voltage and current at different points along the line, and can be used to analyze the behavior of the system.

2. How is an impedance graph created in MATLAB/simulink?

To create an impedance graph in MATLAB/simulink, you first need to model the transmission line using the appropriate blocks and parameters. Then, you can use the "Impedance Measurement" block to measure the impedance at different frequencies and plot the results on a graph using the "Scope" block.

3. What information can be obtained from an impedance graph?

An impedance graph can provide important information about the behavior of a transmission line powersystem, such as the characteristic impedance, the propagation constant, and the reflection coefficient. It can also help identify any impedance mismatches or other issues that may affect the performance of the system.

4. How can an impedance graph be used to improve the performance of a transmission line powersystem?

By analyzing the impedance graph, engineers can identify any impedance mismatches or other issues that may be causing signal reflections or losses. This information can then be used to make adjustments to the system design or components in order to improve its performance.

5. Can an impedance graph be used for both AC and DC transmission lines?

Yes, an impedance graph can be used for both AC and DC transmission lines. However, the parameters and calculations may differ slightly depending on the type of line. For example, AC transmission lines may consider factors such as skin effect and dielectric losses, while DC transmission lines may focus more on resistance and capacitance.