Impedance of Circuit (Complex Numbers Question)

In summary, the impedance of the circuit shown is the sum of the resistances of the two wires and is equal to the voltage across the two wires.
Irishdoug
Homework Statement
Find the impedance of the circuit shown (R and L in series and then C in parallel with them).
Relevant Equations
##Z = R +i(\omega L - \frac{1}{\omega C})##
##V_{R} = RI_{0}sin(\omega t)##
##V_{L} = \omega LI_{0}cos(\omega t)##
##V_{C} = -\frac{1}{\omega C}I_{0}cos(\omega t)##
Question is from Boas Ch. 2 Q.41 (I've the first edition) or Q 16.8 in the 3rd edition.

Find the impedance of the circuit shown (R and L in series, then C in parallel with them). Circuit is essentially this (it is a closed circuit which I can't easily draw).
-----R------L---
-------C---------

I know ##Z = R +i(\omega L - \frac{1}{\omega C})## = ## \frac{V_{R} + V_{L} + V_{C}}{I}## but I'm not sure exactly what I need to do, or where to start, other than sub in the equations for ##V_{R}, V_{L}## and ##V_{C}##. Any help appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Irishdoug said:
I'm not sure exactly what I need to do
  1. Post a complete homework problem statement
  2. Read the text of the chapter
  3. Reconsider your relevant equations -- two out of three are unusable in this context
  4. ##Z = R +i(\omega L - \frac{1}{\omega C})## is not correct (that equation is for RLC in series)
Are you familiar with complex numbers ?

Likes Irishdoug
BvU said:
  1. Post a complete homework problem statement
  2. Read the text of the chapter
  3. Reconsider your relevant equations -- two out of three are unusable in this context
  4. ##Z = R +i(\omega L - \frac{1}{\omega C})## is not correct (that equation is for RLC in series)
Are you familiar with complex numbers ?
Yes I am familiar with complex numbers. It is the electronics part I'm struggling with. I'm aware then that the formulas for resistors in parallel and series apply to impedance, Z. I realize I don't need the Voltage equations. As such, I'm trying to figure out the correct equation for Z. I thought it applied to circuits in general. It is not stated that it is only for RLC in series in the text.

I'm thinking so far:

##Z_{R} = R##
##Z_{L} = i\omega L##
##Z_{C} = \frac{1}{i\omega C}####Z_{R} + Z_{C} = Z_{series} = R+i\omega L##.

Then, ##Z_{parallel} = \frac{1}{Z_{series}} + (\frac{1}{i\omega C})^{-1}##

Does this look any better?

No :wink: ! $$ {1\over Z_{\sf parallel} }= \frac{1}{Z_{\sf series}} + \left (\frac{1}{i\omega C}\right )^{-1} $$

looks better, but we still don't know what we are looking for in this exercise.

Likes Irishdoug
BvU said:
No :wink: ! $$ {1\over Z_{\sf parallel} }= \frac{1}{Z_{\sf series}} + \left (\frac{1}{i\omega C}\right )^{-1} $$

looks better, but we still don't know what we are looking for in this exercise.
Ah you are right. I am just looking for the equation for the total impedance for the circuit. So ##Z = R+i(\omega L - \frac{1}{\omega C})## is the impedance for an RLC in series as BvU pointed out. I need to find it for the circuit I have.

Irishdoug said:
I am just looking for the equation for the total impedance for the circuit.
Without a circuit diagram, it's not clear what "total impedance for the circuit" means. Here's a reproduction of the diagram of the circuit in the book.
Untitled 2.png

Those two little wires at the end clears up what you're looking for. The implication is that if an AC voltage V is applied across those two wires, the circuit will draw a current I, and the impedance, by definition, is V/I.

1. What is impedance in a circuit?

Impedance is the measure of opposition to the flow of electric current in a circuit. It is represented by the symbol Z and is measured in ohms (Ω). It takes into account both resistance and reactance in a circuit.

2. How is impedance calculated?

Impedance is calculated using complex numbers and Ohm's Law. The formula for calculating impedance is Z = R + jX, where R is the resistance in ohms and X is the reactance in ohms. The j represents the imaginary unit, which is used to represent the phase difference between the voltage and current in a circuit.

3. What is the difference between impedance and resistance?

Resistance is the measure of opposition to the flow of electric current in a circuit due to the physical properties of the material. It is represented by the symbol R and is measured in ohms (Ω). Impedance, on the other hand, takes into account both resistance and reactance in a circuit and is represented by the symbol Z.

4. How does impedance affect circuit performance?

Impedance affects circuit performance by determining the amount of current that can flow through the circuit. A higher impedance means that there is more opposition to current flow, resulting in a lower current. This can affect the overall functioning of the circuit and may lead to voltage drops and power losses.

5. How can I reduce impedance in a circuit?

Impedance can be reduced in a circuit by using components with lower resistance and reactance values. Additionally, using thicker wires and shorter lengths of wire can also help reduce impedance. Proper circuit design and layout can also play a role in reducing impedance.