Implementing Logic Using Conventional CMOS Logic

• Thread starter STEMucator
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cmos Logic
In summary, the discussion revolved around implementing a function in conventional CMOS logic style with only 4 transistors connected to the output node, and determining the worst and best case propagation delays. The conversation also touched on designing the same circuit for equal rising and falling delays and providing two sizing solutions. The summary also mentions the use of important facts and calculations for each part of the question.
STEMucator
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

This question has several parts, and I'm confused about some of them.

Consider ##Z = \overline{(A + B \bar{C})D + E \bar{F}}##. Assume primary and inverted inputs are available.

A) Implement the function in conventional CMOS logic style such that only 4 transistors are connected to the output node, and the PMOS and NMOS transistors with input "A" are attached to ##V_{DD}## and ground (by their source), respectively. Assume all PMOS have ##W/L = 15## and all NMOS have ##W/L = 6##. Place a ##50 fF## load capacitance at the output.

B) and C) I had no problem with.

D) Calculate the worst-case rising and falling propagation delays. Only consider the load capacitance and ignore the internal capacitances.

E) No problem.

F) Calculate the best-case rising and falling propagation delays. Only consider the load capacitance and ignore the internal capacitances.

G) Design the same circuit for equal rising and falling delays of ##100 ps##. Provide two sizing solutions and indicate ##W/L## of the transistors on the circuit. Identify the better solution with a reason.

Homework Equations

##D_r = \frac{C_L V_{DD}}{2 I_P}##
##D_f = \frac{C_L V_{DD}}{2 I_N}##

Screen Shot 2016-02-20 at 3.17.48 PM.png

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my work so far:

Screen Shot 2016-02-20 at 3.11.04 PM.png

I want to know if my answer to part A) looks okay.

I know the answers to B) and C) are correct.

D) To find the worst case delay, I have to consider the longest critical path or something along those lines. I am unsure how to do this question.

E) This question is doable if I can solve D) and so I won't need to talk about it.

F) The best case delay means all the paths are active at the same time. I am still unsure.

G) I will get to this.

If part A) looks okay, I need some help with part D).

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I did some research and I found these important facts:

- Designing a conventional CMOS circuit means a PMOS pull-up network and an NMOS pull-down network must be constructed.
- The PMOS pull-up network and NMOS pull-down network must be complements of each other.
- The PMOS network must have the AND terms in parallel and the OR terms in series.
- The NMOS network must have the AND terms in series and the OR terms in parallel.

Using these important facts, I designed this much simpler looking circuit, which I believe is what I am looking for:

IMG_1103.jpg

I hope that circuit looks okay now. I used both the primary and inverted inputs, and I believe I met the criteria. P.S: I didn't label the sizes.
Now part D) makes more sense to me.

For ##D_{rising}##, I need to consider the longest path through the PMOS transistors (there are four such paths at a first glance). I should compute ##W_P## from the minimum of the four widths along each path (using the result ##W_P = 1.35 \mu m## from part B)), and then use that to calculate ##I_P##. From there I can calculate ##D_r##.

Similarly, for ##D_{falling}##, I need to consider the longest path through the NMOS transistors (there are two such paths at a first glance). I should compute ##W_N## from the minimum of the two widths along each path (using ##W_N = 0.54 \mu m##), and then use that to calculate ##I_N##. From there I can calculate ##D_f##.

Part E) is quick.

For part F) I need to consider the best case delays, so I consider the circuit when all the paths are conducting. Then I should follow the same process as in part D), but there are only two widths to consider instead of six. I should use ##W_P = 1.35 \mu m## and ##W_N = 0.54 \mu m##.

For part G) I should use an equivalent inverter from the start and use the given delays to compute the respective currents. Then I should take those currents and compute ##W_P## and ##W_N##. Then I need to design the same circuit from A) using these new widths, but I need to make sure I design it so the PMOS network transistors can reduce to the equivalent inverter PMOS. Similarly, I need to make sure the NMOS network transistors can reduce to the equivalent inverter NMOS.

If that all sounds reasonable, I can relax.

1. How does conventional CMOS logic work?

Conventional CMOS (Complementary Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor) logic is a type of digital logic that uses complementary pairs of MOSFETs (Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor Field-Effect Transistors) to implement logic gates. These logic gates are used to perform Boolean operations on binary inputs, resulting in a binary output.

2. What are the advantages of implementing logic using conventional CMOS?

Conventional CMOS logic offers several advantages including low power consumption, high noise immunity, and high integration density. CMOS circuits also have a wide operating voltage range and can operate at high speeds, making them suitable for a variety of applications.

3. Are there any limitations to using conventional CMOS logic?

While conventional CMOS logic has many advantages, it also has some limitations. One limitation is that it can be susceptible to process variations, which can affect the performance and reliability of the circuit. Additionally, CMOS circuits can be sensitive to electrostatic discharge (ESD) and require special precautions during the manufacturing process.

4. How is logic implemented using conventional CMOS?

To implement logic using conventional CMOS, a combination of n-type and p-type MOSFETs are connected in series and parallel to form logic gates. The inputs are connected to the gates of the MOSFETs, and the output is taken from the drain or source of the MOSFETs. By varying the input voltages, the MOSFETs can be turned on or off, resulting in different output values.

5. What are some common applications of conventional CMOS logic?

Conventional CMOS logic is used in a wide range of applications, including microcontrollers, digital signal processors, memory chips, and other digital systems. It is also used in everyday devices such as smartphones, computers, and household appliances. CMOS logic is a fundamental building block for modern digital technology and is essential for the operation of many electronic devices.