Implicit partial differentiation

In summary, to find the partial differential of z with respect to y in the given function, we must use the chain rule and implicit differentiation to solve for zy, which is equal to f'(xz+y)(xz+y)y.
aubergine
I have a function z=f(xz+y) and I want to find the partial differential of z with respect to y (it's a general sort of question, I only need it in terms of the variables already given).
My answer would be just partial df/dy but this isn't the right answer. I'm not too hot on partial differentiation so can anyone give me a hint?

Physics news on Phys.org
aubergine said:
I have a function z=f(xz+y) and I want to find the partial differential of z with respect to y (it's a general sort of question, I only need it in terms of the variables already given).
My answer would be just partial df/dy but this isn't the right answer. I'm not too hot on partial differentiation so can anyone give me a hint?

f is apparently a function of a single variable and z is a function of x and y. Since z is not solved for, you must differentiate implicitly. So begin by taking the partial derivative of both sides with respect to y. So you will start like this:

zy = fy(xz+y)

Now you must use the chain rule on the right side, remembering that in the argument of f, both y and z depend on y:

fy(xz+y) = f'(xz+y)(xz+y)y

Now finish executing the y partials and solve for zy.

Related to Implicit partial differentiation

1. What is implicit partial differentiation?

Implicit partial differentiation is a mathematical technique used to find the partial derivatives of a function that is defined implicitly rather than explicitly. This means that the function is not written in terms of a single independent variable, but rather in terms of multiple independent variables.

2. When is implicit partial differentiation used?

Implicit partial differentiation is used when the given function cannot be easily solved for one of the variables. It is also used when the function has multiple independent variables and the partial derivatives need to be found with respect to one or more of these variables.

3. How is implicit partial differentiation different from explicit partial differentiation?

Explicit partial differentiation involves finding the partial derivatives of a function that is written in terms of a single independent variable. In contrast, implicit partial differentiation involves finding the partial derivatives of a function that is written in terms of multiple independent variables.

4. What are the steps for performing implicit partial differentiation?

The steps for implicit partial differentiation are as follows:

1. Take the partial derivative of the function with respect to the variable that you are solving for.
  2. Multiply the partial derivative by the derivative of the variable with respect to the independent variable.
  3. Add the product of the partial derivative and the derivative of the other variable with respect to the independent variable.
  4. Solve the resulting equation for the partial derivative of the variable.

5. What are some real-life applications of implicit partial differentiation?

Implicit partial differentiation is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to model and analyze complex systems with multiple variables, such as fluid dynamics, thermodynamics, and supply and demand relationships. It is also used in optimization problems to find the maximum or minimum values of a function.