Importance of Fermi Surface in Cooper Pair Formation

In summary, the conversation discussed the problem of cooper pair formation in the absence of a filled fermi surface. It was determined that two electrons can form a bound state as long as there is some attractive interaction between them, with the magnitude of the interaction being unimportant. By removing the fermi surface, it was shown that in 3-D, a bound state solution no longer exists for all values of the interaction strength. The critical value of the interaction strength, denoted as Vc, was found to exist for |V|>|Vc| but not |V|<|Vc|. The problem was also considered in 1-D and 2-D, with the conclusion that bound states of electrons can form for arbitrarily small values
WalkThePlanck
Hello,

This problem is about cooper pair formation and what happens with the calculations if there is an attractive potential between electrons but it is not in the presence of a filled fermi surface.

1. Homework Statement

Two electrons just above the filled Fermi Surface of a material can form a bound state as long as there is some attractive interaction between these two electrons. The magnitude of the interaction is not important. In the following problem, we will assess the importance of the filled Fermi Sea in the context of such bound state. Recall, the energy of the Cooper pair i.e., the bound state of two electrons just above the Fermi surface, is determined from 1 = Σk>kf|V|/(2εk-E)

Now, remove the fermi surface by setting kf = 0. Show that in 3-D a bound state solution no longer exists for all |V|>0. What is the critical |Vc| such that a bound state exists for |V|>|Vc| but not |V|<|Vc|.

Part 2: Consider the problem in 1-D and 2-D.

Homework Equations

Can convert the sum into an integral over k from 0 to kc, where kc=Sqrt(2mωd/ħ).

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve it the same way as I solved for a filled fermi surface, in which we can see there is a bound state because after solving and isolating E we see that E<2εf. I did the integrals, which were somewhat complicated functions of logs in the 3-D and 2-D case, and an inverse hyperbolic tangent in the 1-D case, but I'm not sure how to tell if it is a bound state. Would a bound state mean that E<0 because adding two electrons to an empty fermi surface cost 0 energy? If that is the case then I found a critical |V| in 3-D but in 1-D and 2-D I found that bound states of electrons can form for arbitrarily small |V| even without a filled fermi surface and I'm not sure if that is right.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds good. In 1 and 3 D your conclusions about the critical V are correct. I suppose in 2-D also, but I didn't check.

What is a Fermi surface?

A Fermi surface is the boundary between the occupied and unoccupied energy states in a material. It represents the maximum energy level that electrons can occupy at a given temperature.

How does the Fermi surface relate to Cooper pair formation?

The Fermi surface plays a crucial role in Cooper pair formation as it determines the availability of energy states for electrons to form pairs. The shape and size of the Fermi surface can affect the strength of the pairing interaction between electrons.

Why is the Fermi surface important in superconductivity?

The Fermi surface is important in superconductivity because it provides a framework for understanding the properties of superconductors. It is the starting point for many theoretical models that explain the behavior of superconducting materials.

How do changes in the Fermi surface affect Cooper pair formation?

Changes in the Fermi surface, such as its shape or size, can affect the strength of the pairing interaction between electrons. This, in turn, can impact the critical temperature and other properties of superconductors.

What are some experimental techniques used to study the Fermi surface?

Some experimental techniques used to study the Fermi surface include angle-resolved photoemission spectroscopy (ARPES), de Haas-van Alphen (dHvA) effect measurements, and quantum oscillation measurements. These techniques provide information about the shape, size, and energy states of the Fermi surface.