Importing Mechanical Apdl geometry in Ansys Workbench

In summary, the conversation was about importing geometry from Mechanical APDL into ANSYS Workbench and being able to change it easily. The suggestion was to use a "Command" object in Workbench and copy the APDL code. The participant also mentioned being able to recreate the geometry by using the same commands in the command section. They were unsure if this could be done in Workbench and were directed to a tutorial for help.
lord sauron
hi.. i want to import only the geometry defined in mechanical apdl into ansys workbench so that i want to have the freedom to change the geometry and meshing whenever i want to. thankyou

Physics news on Phys.org
How is the geometry constructed in APDL? Have you considered just created a "Command" object in Workbench and copying the APDL code in there?

The geometry was once created in GUI in Mechanical APDL and after that it was written in log file which is a .txt format. After that every time I want to recreate the geometry, I just put in those commands in command section and I get the same geometry. Can I do it in ANSYS Workbench as well?

Yes, I want to do it. Use the code that I use in APDL to model it in Workbench but i don't know how to use that coding in Workbench.

1. How do I import Mechanical APDL geometry into Ansys Workbench?

To import Mechanical APDL geometry into Ansys Workbench, you can use the "External Model" feature. Simply go to the "Model" tab, select "External Model", and click on "Import Geometry". From there, you can choose your Mechanical APDL input file and import it into Ansys Workbench.

2. Can I import Mechanical APDL geometry into Ansys Workbench if I don't have a Mechanical APDL license?

Yes, you can import Mechanical APDL geometry into Ansys Workbench even if you don't have a Mechanical APDL license. Ansys Workbench has a built-in translator that allows you to import Mechanical APDL geometry without needing a separate license for it.

3. What types of Mechanical APDL geometry can be imported into Ansys Workbench?

Ansys Workbench can import various types of Mechanical APDL geometry, including points, lines, areas, volumes, and solid models. It also supports importing geometry from various file formats, such as .cdb, .inp, .bdf, and .cdb.

4. Can I edit the Mechanical APDL geometry after importing it into Ansys Workbench?

Yes, you can edit the Mechanical APDL geometry after importing it into Ansys Workbench. You can use the "Geometry" tab to modify the imported geometry, such as changing dimensions, adding or deleting features, and creating new geometry.

5. Will importing Mechanical APDL geometry affect my Ansys Workbench project?

No, importing Mechanical APDL geometry will not affect your Ansys Workbench project. The imported geometry will be converted into a Workbench geometry object, which will not affect any other parts of your project. However, any changes made to the imported geometry will be reflected in your project.