Impossible 180 degree car turn

In summary, the conversation discusses a video of a person attempting to turn their jeep around in a difficult spot on a hillside. It is mentioned that such activities are not allowed on the platform and that the video was likely staged for entertainment purposes. Some personal experiences with similar situations are also shared.
phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member

Physics news on Phys.org
And what peer-reviewed PF-approved journal/institution has verified this is not a hoax ?

##\ ##

Yoiks. I think I'd spend a couple hours with my trusty trail shovel to carve a hole in that hillside if I had to turn my jeep around there. That looked like a pretty big dropoff...

Likes BillTre
Per PF rules: Explicit "how to" discussions of illegal and/or dangerous activities, or posts advocating such activities, are prohibited. :oldbiggrin:

• Haha
Likes Astronuc, berkeman and BillTre
berkeman said:
Yoiks. I think I'd spend a couple hours with my trusty trail shovel to carve a hole in that hillside if I had to turn my jeep around there. That looked like a pretty big dropoff...
Looks to me like there was probably somewhere on the far side that he could have turned around in...

Likes gmax137
Yeah, for sure those houses didn't use that turn-around. Could you see momma walking out of the house, saying "What are you idiots doing there now?!"

I think this was a careful pre-planned stunt done to put up on YouTube

Likes BillTre and Wrichik Basu
russ_watters said:
probably somewhere on the far side that he could have turned around in...
I got into a spot once that was a dead end. Not quite as scary as that.

I thought that was going to be really fun to watch. But in actuality it was quite boring. And the accompanying music was all wrong. The video should have run at 2-3x speed and the music should have been a waltz.

Likes Keith_McClary
Keith_McClary said:
I got into a spot once
try it with a trailer attached. DAMHIK.

• Haha
Likes Astronuc, Keith_McClary and berkeman
JT Smith said:
The video should have run at 2-3x speed and the music should have been a waltz.
Or much faster, with Yakety Sax.

• Haha
Likes gmax137

1. Can a car really perform a 180 degree turn?

Yes, a car can perform a 180 degree turn, but it depends on the specific make and model of the car, the road conditions, and the skill of the driver.

2. How is it possible for a car to make such a sharp turn?

It is possible for a car to make a 180 degree turn by using a technique called the "J-turn" or "Rockford turn". This involves reversing the car at high speed, turning the steering wheel in the opposite direction, and then quickly straightening out the wheels to make the turn.

3. Is it safe to perform a 180 degree turn in a car?

Performing a 180 degree turn in a car can be dangerous, especially if not done correctly. It requires a significant amount of skill and practice, and should only be attempted in controlled environments by experienced drivers.

4. What are the risks involved in attempting a 180 degree turn in a car?

The main risks involved in attempting a 180 degree turn in a car include loss of control, potential collisions with other vehicles or objects, and vehicle damage. There is also a risk of injury to the driver and passengers if the turn is not executed properly.

5. Can any car make a 180 degree turn?

Not all cars are capable of making a 180 degree turn. Factors such as the car's weight, size, and handling abilities can affect its ability to perform such a sharp turn. It is important to understand the limitations of your specific car before attempting any type of advanced driving technique.