Is Wastewater Recycling the Solution to Extreme Drought?

In summary, due to the extreme drought, it is recommended to conserve water when washing a car. Going to a car wash place that recycles water is a greener option, but washing at home with two buckets, one for soapy water and one for rinsing, is also a possibility. However, this method requires a lot of effort and may not be as effective as a traditional car wash. It is important to use biodegradable soap and not to waste water, as it is a valuable resource.
bob012345
Gold Member
Due to the extreme drought, what is the minimum amount of water required to wash a small car such as a Corolla and how would you do it?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you go to a car wash place (either the gas station automated things or self-service car washes), they generally recycle the water. It's more of a hassle than doing it at home, but "greener" during the drought.

Likes mcastillo356, Ivan Seeking, russ_watters and 4 others
berkeman said:
If you go to a car wash place (either the gas station automated things or self-service car washes), they generally recycle the water. It's more of a hassle than doing it at home, but "greener" during the drought.
I could recycle the water by washing the car on my lawn...

• Informative
Likes joseph707
bob012345 said:
I could recycle the water by washing the car on my lawn...
Sort of, but your lawn may not like all of the soap (have you tasted it?) :smile:

berkeman said:
Sort of, but your lawn may not like all of the soap (have you tasted it?) :smile:
Is there a biodegradable soap that won't hurt the grass in small amounts?

As for tasting soap, yes actually. At the beginning of the pandemic I would come home and wash hands, face and even rinse out my mouth with soapy water then peroxide. Overkill I think now but I never got sick.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Likes Ivan Seeking, DaveE, Wrichik Basu and 1 other person
Well, it didn't taste that bad.

Anyway, My car washing idea is along the lines of two buckets, one soapy and one for rinse water. Giving the car more of a sponge bath. Surely, even the recycled water in a commercial car wash has to lose a gallon or two to evaporation off all the surfaces and ground? I think I could do at least as good. So, two gallons minimum?

bob012345 said:
Overkill I think
LOL you think correctly. Did you clean everything you brought into the house? I did and that was a lot of work! Shopping was such a pain! But it made sense.

Likes hutchphd
berkeman said:

We have a brand new super-green car wash by my place and I LOVE it!

On Rigel XII you don't need any water at all.

1626043273831.png

• Haha
Likes diogenesNY and Ivan Seeking
Ivan Seeking said:
LOL you think correctly. Did you clean everything you brought into the house? I did and that was a lot of work! Shopping was such a pain! But it made sense.
Nah. At first I wiped the grocery packages down but after a while they said that wasn't necessary so I stopped.

bob012345 said:
Nah. At first I wiped the grocery packages down but after a while they said that wasn't necessary so I stopped.

When did they say it wasn't necessary? From what I read, that wasn't determined until fairly late in the game. I don't think I stopped until late last year when it was announced that most transmission was airborne.

bob012345 said:
As for tasting soap, yes actually. At the beginning of the pandemic I would come home and wash hands, face and even rinse out my mouth with soapy water then peroxide.
Soapy water instead of diluted hydrogen peroxide (H2O2)? Did you read to do that somewhere? I've never heard that before...

Couldn't you just pee on it a little every day?

• Haha
Likes hmmm27 and Tom.G
berkeman said:
Soapy water instead of diluted hydrogen peroxide (H2O2)? Did you read to do that somewhere? I've never heard that before...
No, I didn't read that anywhere it was just my own paranoid cleansing ritual. Probably because I had heard experts say soapy water destroys the virus outer shell and renders it non-functional. I used a small amount of soapy water, then rinse and then followed with a swig of peroxide which is commonly used as an oral agent. I could have and should have just swigged with diluted peroxide.

Ivan Seeking said:
When did they say it wasn't necessary? From what I read, that wasn't determined until fairly late in the game. I don't think I stopped until late last year when it was announced that most transmission was airborne.
I heard Dr. Sanjay Gupta discuss his views on CNN. Sure, it wasn't a study but it was enough for me.

I did the experiment. I washed my car with less than one gallon of water! It required a lot of elbow grease in place of a lot of water. I then went overboard and gave it a final rinse, which it did not really need, with a whole gallon of clean water since I had already set it aside.

bob012345 said:
I did the experiment. I washed my car with less than one gallon of water! It required a lot of elbow grease in place of a lot of water. I then went overboard and gave it a final rinse, which it did not really need, with a whole gallon of clean water since I had already set it aside.
Did the last gallon of clean water drip off clean or sudsy? I don't thin it is impossible to wash and rinse a car with two gallons of water and an extreme effort, but it would be very difficult.

Google tells me a car wash uses between 8 and 85 gallons per car depending on the water conservation features. From working on industrial washers of other things, I would expect that a modern car wash re-uses the rinse water as fresh/makeup for the wash water, and siphons an equal amount of wash water off to drain.

Likes bob012345
bob012345 said:
I washed my car with less than one gallon of water! It required a lot of elbow grease in place of a lot of water.
And you most likely scratched up / de-shined your car's finish pretty seriously. Have a nice day.

russ_watters said:
Did the last gallon of clean water drip off clean or sudsy? I don't thin it is impossible to wash and rinse a car with two gallons of water and an extreme effort, but it would be very difficult.

Google tells me a car wash uses between 8 and 85 gallons per car depending on the water conservation features. From working on industrial washers of other things, I would expect that a modern car wash re-uses the rinse water as fresh/makeup for the wash water, and siphons an equal amount of wash water off to drain.
Clean. I used very little soap, a few drops really.

bob012345 said:
Clean. I used very little soap, a few drops really.
Depends upon how dirty the car was to begin with.
One bucket of soap wash, with a bucket of rinse is fine as long as you haven't been playing in mud puddles.
Been there. Done that with a bucket of water or two.
The most difficult part was the running board area.

Anyways, if the vehicle ahead of you at an automatic car wash was playing in mud puddles, the grit from that vehicle gets attached to the 'mops' ( whatever they are called ) and ends up ruining your finish with scratches.

Safer to do it your way, or go to one of the coin operated sites with the pressure washer. You will end up using way less water than the automatic ones.

Likes bob012345
My mate used a damp washcloth to clean his car every morning for about half a year when he bought his "dream car". Extremely inefficient and constantly subject to ridicule but the car was clean :smile:

Likes bob012345
ProfuselyQuarky said:
My mate used a damp washcloth to clean his car every morning for about half a year when he bought his "dream car". Extremely inefficient and constantly subject to ridicule but the car was clean :smile:
I used a smaller sponge so as to control how much water was soaked up so there was less runoff. Basically just like painting with a narrow brush instead of a wide brush. It takes more work.

berkeman said:
And you most likely scratched up / de-shined your car's finish pretty seriously. Have a nice day.
Elbow grease in the sense of hard work not hard physical rubbing. For me at my age and shape, going over the whole car with a smaller sponge to control water waste was a lot more work than if I used a big soapy sponge and a water hose.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/elbow grease

While it's kind of sideways to the specific question I think the best approach to minimizing car washing water is simply to not wash the car very often. It's almost entirely a cosmetic thing.

• Love
Likes Tom.G, hmmm27, bob012345 and 3 others
Well if we're going outside the box, I got a ceramic coating applied to my car which is hard and hydrophobic. One of the benefits is less need for washes/staying cleaner.

Likes hmmm27 and bob012345
russ_watters said:
Well if we're going outside the box, I got a ceramic coating applied to my car which is hard and hydrophobic. One of the benefits is less need for washes/staying cleaner.
I rarely wash my car as it is. I was just interested in the question of saving water because of the drought. What is this hydrophobic material?

bob012345 said:
I rarely wash my car as it is. I was just interested in the question of saving water because of the drought. What is this hydrophobic material?
https://royalcustomauto.com/ceramic/

Likes bob012345
JT Smith said:
While it's kind of sideways to the specific question I think the best approach to minimizing car washing water is simply to not wash the car very often. It's almost entirely a cosmetic thing.
Is only cosmetic? In the summer heat a dirty car will reflect less heat away and get hotter thus using more fuel to cool.

Here is information that claims one will damage their car not using specialty products to clean it. They say use special paint safe soaps and microfiber towels. I'm skeptical it makes that much difference especially since I used very small amounts of dish soap and an old cotton towel. However I'm happy to get good quality car soap and 'microfiber' towels for next time I wash my car which will probably by in '24 or so. :biggrin:

https://www.powerstop.com/summer-car-cleaning-detailing-mistakes/

bob012345 said:
Is only cosmetic? In the summer heat a dirty car will reflect less heat away and get hotter thus using more fuel to cool.

I said "mostly" not "only".

Show me the fuel use data on your dirty hot car theory.

I think car washing is about 90% vanity and 10% utility. The utility part includes looking good for people you feel you must impress, like your boss or girlfriend, as well as the possibility that dirt damages the paint or maybe costs you a tiny bit more in fuel. With occasional exceptions I usually just wait for it to rain. A violent hailstorm (stones not too big) is even better as the graupel leaves a buff shine when it's done.

But whatever. If you have to spend significant extra money on gasoline or electricity to cool your hot, dirty car maybe it's worth it if the goal is to save water. Maybe you can wash your car in gasoline.

Likes Wrichik Basu, bob012345 and russ_watters
JT Smith said:
I think car washing is about 90% vanity and 10% utility.
While I somewhat agree, I'd like to see a study attempting to correlate car cleanliness with bathroom cleanliness. I suspect they'd find one. Also, if one isn't washing the outside, does that mean they aren't washing the inside either? I've seen some gross interiors...

From a practical standpoint, I also hate it when I happen to brush past my car and end up with a cleaner car and dirtier pants/shirt.

russ_watters said:
While I somewhat agree, I'd like to see a study attempting to correlate car cleanliness with bathroom cleanliness. I suspect they'd find one. Also, if one isn't washing the outside, does that mean they aren't washing the inside either? I've seen some gross interiors...

From a practical standpoint, I also hate it when I happen to brush past my car and end up with a cleaner car and dirtier pants/shirt.
When I moved from west to central N.America I definitely noticed a more dusty car.
Cleaner air out west and the car stayed shiny for days.
Maybe its the big city with its pollution. Could be that though.

JT Smith said:
I said "mostly" not "only".

Show me the fuel use data on your dirty hot car theory.

I think car washing is about 90% vanity and 10% utility. The utility part includes looking good for people you feel you must impress, like your boss or girlfriend, as well as the possibility that dirt damages the paint or maybe costs you a tiny bit more in fuel. With occasional exceptions I usually just wait for it to rain. A violent hailstorm (stones not too big) is even better as the graupel leaves a buff shine when it's done.

But whatever. If you have to spend significant extra money on gasoline or electricity to cool your hot, dirty car maybe it's worth it if the goal is to save water. Maybe you can wash your car in gasoline.
You are correct in that I should not have said only. Sorry.

There are many sources that prove car color has an impact of interior temperature in the sun which can be attributed to the absorption and reflection coefficients. Here is some visual proof with a FLIR camera;

https://www.motor1.com/news/367916/thermal-video-black-cars-hot/

Here is more conventional data;

https://phys.org/news/2011-10-silver-white-cars-cooler.html

It stands to reason that a dirt layer will make a car darker and less reflective and thus hotter at least in principle as dirt is known to be a good absorber of heat as it lowers the albedo of the surface.https://scied.ucar.edu/activity/12101/print-all