Improper integral help: coloumb's law

In summary, the conversation discusses deriving an infinite line of charge formula using Coloumb's law and getting stuck with a tricky integral. The attempt at a solution includes using a trig substitution but encountering difficulties when trying to differentiate. The solution is to divide both sides by z and the denominator by sqrt(z^2), and then changing the limits of integration as the variable is changed.
Edwardo_Elric

Homework Statement

i was deriving an infinite line of charge formula by coloumb's law:
so i got stuck with this integral (since it is in the maths forum)
[tex] \vec{E}_{\rho} = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\rho_L \rho dz}{4\pi\epsilon_o ({\rho}^2 + z^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}} [/tex]

Homework Equations

where
[tex]{\rho}_L = [/tex] linear charge density
[tex]{\rho} = [/tex] direction perpendicular to z axis in cylindrical coordinates

The Attempt at a Solution

so when integrating (using trigo substitution):
[tex] \vec{E}_{\rho} = \frac{\rho_L\rho}{4\pi\epsilon_o} (\frac{1}{{\rho}^2} \frac{z}{p^2 + z^2})_{-\infty}^{\infty} [/tex]
this is where i got stuck
no matter how i use lhopitals rule in this equation:
\lim_{z \infty} \frac{z}{({\rho}^2 + z^2)^{\frac{1}{2}}
it keeps going back

because the infinite is supposed to add to equate to 2
the answer which is
[tex] \vec{E}_{\rho} = \frac{\rho_L}{2\pi\epsilon_o\rho}[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Edwardo_Elric said:

Homework Statement

i was deriving an infinite line of charge formula by coloumb's law:
so i got stuck with this integral (since it is in the maths forum)
[tex] \vec{E}_{\rho} = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\rho_L \rho dz}{4\pi\epsilon_o ({\rho}^2 + z^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}} [/tex]

Homework Equations

where
[tex]{\rho}_L = [/tex] linear charge density
[tex]{\rho} = [/tex] direction perpendicular to z axis in cylindrical coordinates

The Attempt at a Solution

so when integrating (using trigo substitution):
[tex] \vec{E}_{\rho} \frac{\rho_L\rho}{4\pi\epsilon_o} (\frac{1}{{\rho}^2} \frac{z}{p^2 + z^2})_{-\infty}^{\infty} [/tex]
this is where i got stuck
I think you need to show your work here. This is not at all what I got.

no matter how i use lhopitals rule in this equation:
You don't need to use L'Hopital's rule- just divide numberator and denominator by z2. Of course, then the limits are both 0 which is not what you want.

\lim_{z \infty} \frac{z}{({\rho}^2 + z^2)^{\frac{1}{2}}
it keeps going back
[tex]\lim_{z \to \infty} \frac{z}{({\rho}^2 + z^2)^{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]

because the infinite is supposed to add to equate to 2
the answer which is
[tex] \vec{E}_{\rho} = \frac{\rho_L}{2\pi\epsilon_o\rho}[/tex]
I would prefer to change the limits of integration with each substitution.

yeah typo:
[tex](\frac{z}{\sqrt{p^2 + z^2}})_{-\infty}^{\infty}[/tex]

the problem is differentiating [tex]\sqrt{p^2 + z^2}[/tex] when i keep using LHR it
keeps on going back

edit:
wait did you mean this?
[tex] \frac{\frac{z}{z}}{\frac{\frac{\sqrt{p^2+z^2}}{z^2}}}} [/tex]
i tihink i get it now

just divide both sides by z
the denominator you divide by sqrt(z^2)

thx a lot halls

Last edited:
You say you used a trig substitution so why worry about the integral as a function of z at all? Change the limits of integration as you change the variable.

When I did it, my first substitution was [itex]\rho tan(\theta)= z[/itex]. z will go to [itex]-\infty[/itex] and [itex]\infty[/itex] as [itex]\theta[/itex] goes from [itex]-\pi/2[/itex] to [itex]\pi/2[/itex]. I then integrated the resulting trig function by letting [itex]u= sin(\theta)[/itex]. While theta goes from [itex]-\pi/2[/itex] to [itex]\pi/2[/itex], u goes from -1 to 1 so I only had to evaluate the "u" formula between -1 and 1 without having to go back to the original variable.

Related to Improper integral help: coloumb's law

1. What is Coloumb's Law?

Coloumb's Law is a fundamental principle in physics that describes the electrostatic interaction between two charged particles. It states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. What is an improper integral?

An improper integral is an integral where one or both of the integration limits are infinite, or the integrand is not defined at one or more points within the integration interval. It is used to calculate the area under a curve that extends to infinity or has infinite discontinuity.

3. How is Coloumb's Law related to improper integrals?

Coloumb's Law can be used to solve problems involving the electric field created by a continuous distribution of charged particles. This involves using improper integrals to calculate the electric field at a point due to an infinite number of infinitesimally small charged particles.

4. What are some common applications of Coloumb's Law and improper integrals?

Coloumb's Law and improper integrals are commonly used in the fields of electromagnetism, electronics, and engineering to analyze and design systems that involve electric charges and fields. They are also used in particle physics to understand the interactions between subatomic particles.

5. How can I solve problems involving Coloumb's Law and improper integrals?

The first step in solving problems involving Coloumb's Law and improper integrals is to clearly define the problem and identify the given parameters. Then, use the appropriate mathematical expressions and formulas to set up the integral and solve for the desired quantity. It is important to understand the concept and principles behind Coloumb's Law and improper integrals in order to accurately solve problems.