Improper Integral Sinx/x^2 and similar with sinx

In summary: Since the integral on the right converges, then the integral on the left also converges by the comparison test. Therefore, the original integral converges absolutely.
mekise

Homework Statement

[/B]
This is the improper integral of which I have to study the convergence.

∫[1,+∞] sinx/x2 dx

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I have tried to use the absolute convergence.

∫f(x)dx converges ⇔ ∫|f(x)|dx converges

but after i have observed that x^2 is always positive and the absolute value is only for the sinx, I do not how to move!

How to see the convergence or the divergence of sinx when you can not to approximate to x for x->0?

Thank you for the help!:biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
Try the p test, then the comparison test for absolute convergence.

Thanks
Bill

Try starting with the Squeeze Theorem.

Try starting with the Squeeze Theorem.

I tried the Squeeze Theorem.

-1≤sinx≤+1 ⇒ -1/x2≤sinx/x2≤+1/x2

the two functions converge so my function converge!

Thank you very much!

Likes bhobba
mekise said:
I tried the Squeeze Theorem.

-1≤sinx≤+1 ⇒ -1/x2≤sinx/x2≤+1/x2

the two functions converge so my function converge!

I gave you a like because you are on the right track - but that is wrong - the squeeze test applied to functions that converge to the same thing.

Like I said use the p test on 1/x^2, note that the absolute value of your function is less than or equal to 1/x^2. Thus its absolute value converges by the comparison test, then apply the absolute convergence test.

Thanks
Bill

Likes ecastro
You have already pointed this out:

$$\int_{1}^{\infty} \left| \frac{\text{sin}(x)}{x^2} \right| \space dx \leq \int_{1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{x^2} \space dx$$

1. What is an improper integral?

An improper integral is an integral that does not have a finite value due to either the limits of integration being infinite or the function being integrated having a vertical asymptote within the limits of integration.

2. How do you determine if an improper integral converges or diverges?

To determine if an improper integral converges or diverges, you can evaluate the integral using limits or use a comparison test such as the limit comparison test or the direct comparison test.

3. Can the improper integral sinx/x^2 be evaluated using the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus?

No, the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus can only be used for integrals with finite limits of integration and continuous functions. The improper integral sinx/x^2 does not meet these criteria.

4. What is the value of the improper integral sinx/x^2?

The value of the improper integral sinx/x^2 does not exist as it diverges. This can be seen by evaluating the integral using limits, where the limit will approach infinity.

5. Are there other similar improper integrals involving trigonometric functions?

Yes, there are many other improper integrals involving trigonometric functions, such as cosx/x^2, tanx/x, and secx/x. The convergence or divergence of these integrals can be determined using similar methods as the improper integral sinx/x^2.