Another Improper Integral Using Complex Analysis

In summary: You seem to have claimed that $$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\text{Re}(e^{2ix})}{x-3i} \, dx = \text{Re} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{e^{2ix}}{x-3i} \, dx\; \Leftarrow \text{FALSE}$$You need to express ##\cos(2x)## as ##(1/2)e^{2ix} + (1/2) e^{-2ix}## and then deal with the two terms...
transmini

Homework Statement

$$\int_{-\infty}^\infty \space \frac{cos(2x)}{x-3i}dx$$

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

$$\int_{-R}^R \space \frac{e^{2ix}}{x-3i}dx + \int_{C_R} \space \frac{e^{2iz}}{z-3i}dz = 2\pi i\sum\space res \space f(z)$$
Then using Jordan's Lemma, as ##R\to\infty## the 2nd integral on the left hand side goes to 0.
$$\int_{-\infty}^\infty \space \frac{e^{2ix}}{x-3i}dx + \int_{C_\infty} \space \frac{e^{2iz}}{z-3i}dz = 2\pi i\sum\space res \space f(z)$$
$$\int_{-R}^R \space \frac{e^{2ix}}{x-3i}dx + 0 = 2\pi i (lim_{z\to 3i} (z-3i)\frac{e^{2iz}}{z-3i}) = 2\pi i e^{-6}$$
$$\int_{-R}^R \space \frac{e^{2ix}}{x-3i}dx = \int_{-R}^R \space \frac{cos(2x)}{x-3i}dx + i\int_{-R}^R \space \frac{sin(2x)}{x-3i}dx = 2\pi i e^{-6}$$
matching real and imaginary parts gives
$$\int_{-R}^R \space \frac{cos(2x)}{x-3i}dx = 0$$
however the answer is written as ##i\pi e^{-6}##. This one I'm totally lost on. This is the exact method used on every single problem in the section, but for some reason doesn't work here at all, unless I'm completely missing my mistake. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you did in that last step because both integrands are complex. How did you split up the real and imaginary parts?

FactChecker said:
I'm not sure what you did in that last step because both integrands are complex. How did you split up the real and imaginary parts?
I used Euler's Equation: ##e^{i\theta} = cos(\theta)+i sin(\theta)## where in this case ##\theta = 2x##. However, as you mention it, the integrands themselves are not entirely real, so just having ##i## multiplied to one doesn't necessarily make it complex. Which explains why the "complex" part is closer to the answer than the "real" part. I see why that doesn't work now, but I don't quite understand how else to go about this problem.

I don't see it either. Is there some way to use the even and odd function properties of cos and sin to split the 2πie-6 in half? I'm too rusty at this and can't say any more.

FactChecker said:
I don't see it either. Is there some way to use the even and odd function properties of cos and sin to split the 2πie-6 in half? I'm too rusty at this and can't say any more.
I honestly have no idea. We've only ever learned the original way I did it, and it doesn't look like the book covers anything else. I've looked at Chegg's solution, and they split ##cos(2x) = \frac{e^{2ix}+e^{-2ix}}{2}## and then created 2 separate integrals using that. The positive exponent was integrated positively over a semicircle in the upper half plane whereas the negative exponent was then subtracted and integrated over a semicircle in the lower half plane. Then the residue was only the residue of the upper half plane. Then they jumped to the final answer. I don't really follow any of the steps along the way though. I get the splitting of ##cos(2x)## but not why one integral is integrated along one curve and the other integral is integrated along a different curve.

It sounds like both integrals use the real line and the upper and lower half circle integrals disappear. That leaves the integral along the real line to be split evenly between the two integrals.

transmini said:

Homework Statement

$$\int_{-\infty}^\infty \space \frac{cos(2x)}{x-3i}dx$$

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

$$\int_{-R}^R \space \frac{e^{2ix}}{x-3i}dx + \int_{C_R} \space \frac{e^{2iz}}{z-3i}dz = 2\pi i\sum\space res \space f(z)$$
Then using Jordan's Lemma, as ##R\to\infty## the 2nd integral on the left hand side goes to 0.
$$\int_{-\infty}^\infty \space \frac{e^{2ix}}{x-3i}dx + \int_{C_\infty} \space \frac{e^{2iz}}{z-3i}dz = 2\pi i\sum\space res \space f(z)$$
$$\int_{-R}^R \space \frac{e^{2ix}}{x-3i}dx + 0 = 2\pi i (lim_{z\to 3i} (z-3i)\frac{e^{2iz}}{z-3i}) = 2\pi i e^{-6}$$
$$\int_{-R}^R \space \frac{e^{2ix}}{x-3i}dx = \int_{-R}^R \space \frac{cos(2x)}{x-3i}dx + i\int_{-R}^R \space \frac{sin(2x)}{x-3i}dx = 2\pi i e^{-6}$$
matching real and imaginary parts gives
$$\int_{-R}^R \space \frac{cos(2x)}{x-3i}dx = 0$$
however the answer is written as ##i\pi e^{-6}##. This one I'm totally lost on. This is the exact method used on every single problem in the section, but for some reason doesn't work here at all, unless I'm completely missing my mistake. Any suggestions? Thanks.

You seem to have claimed that
$$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\text{Re}(e^{2ix})}{x-3i} \, dx = \text{Re} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{e^{2ix}}{x-3i} \, dx\; \Leftarrow \text{FALSE}$$
You need to express ##\cos(2x)## as ##(1/2)e^{2ix} + (1/2) e^{-2ix}## and then deal with the two terms separately.

Ray Vickson said:
You seem to have claimed that
$$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\text{Re}(e^{2ix})}{x-3i} \, dx = \text{Re} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{e^{2ix}}{x-3i} \, dx\; \Leftarrow \text{FALSE}$$
You need to express ##\cos(2x)## as ##(1/2)e^{2ix} + (1/2) e^{-2ix}## and then deal with the two terms separately.
That's what Chegg was attempting to show, but there's an immense lack of explanation. It may have just been me though since it was late. Going back through and separating into the 2 separate integrals gave me the right answer, and I answered my other questions as well. The integrals are integrated over different curves in order to use Jordan's Lemma, and only the residue of the first integral was used because the second integral has no residues. Thanks again

1. What is an improper integral using complex analysis?

An improper integral using complex analysis is an integral that involves complex numbers and is evaluated using techniques from complex analysis. It is typically used to evaluate integrals that would be difficult or impossible to solve using traditional real analysis methods.

2. How is complex analysis used to evaluate improper integrals?

Complex analysis uses the properties and techniques of complex numbers, such as Cauchy's integral formula and the residue theorem, to evaluate improper integrals. These methods can simplify the integrand and make it easier to evaluate the integral.

3. What are some examples of improper integrals that can be solved using complex analysis?

Examples of improper integrals that can be solved using complex analysis include integrals with oscillatory functions, infinite limits, and unbounded regions. An example of such an integral is the Gaussian integral ∫e^(-x^2)dx, which can be evaluated using the residue theorem.

4. Are there any benefits to using complex analysis for improper integrals?

Yes, there are several benefits to using complex analysis for improper integrals. It can simplify the integrand and make it easier to evaluate, it can provide a more elegant solution, and it can also be used to solve integrals that are impossible to solve using traditional real analysis methods.

5. Are there any limitations to using complex analysis for improper integrals?

While complex analysis can be a powerful tool for evaluating improper integrals, it does have its limitations. It may not be applicable to all types of integrals, and it requires a solid understanding of complex numbers and techniques. Also, the solution may still require some real analysis techniques to fully evaluate the integral.