Improve Text Scrolling: Fix Computer Issues

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Text
In summary, Monique is experiencing issues with text scrolling on her computer after reinstalling Windows. This may be caused by low memory or a program running in the background. She may need to check her mouse settings in the control panel or reinstall the drivers for her mouse. Additionally, she has identified that her video controller was not installed, which may have been contributing to the problem. After reinstalling the video controller, Monique's scrolling issue is now resolved.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
How do I improve text scrolling of my computer? It used to work fine, but I reinstalled windows and now when I scroll the text moves along in a staggered fasion, not smooth :(

Computer science news on Phys.org
Monique said:
How do I improve text scrolling of my computer? It used to work fine, but I reinstalled windows and now when I scroll the text moves along in a staggered fasion, not smooth :(

I'm not sure that there's a simple answer to your question. You might want to check if something is running in the background. The staggering is likely to occur if the computer is running low on memory, or if something is eating a lot of cpu cycles.

Also, if you're running something like word, and the document you're opening is huge, you might have issues.

Go into your control panel and check to see how many lines one notch scrolls at a time.

You may also want to re-install the drivers if you have a special mouse (optical, wireless, usb, etc.)

How many lines a notch scrolls? How do I check that?

It's not my cpu, I'm using up only 1% of it and I've got a fast computer, even faster now that I've reinstalled windows.

I noticed some of my devices are not installed, one of them PCI FLASH Memory and a Video Controller... I guess I should try and get those working :-p

How many lines a notch scrolls? How do I check that?

Well it depends on your mouse. Try this:

Click Start > Control Panel > Mouse. There should be a tab somewhere called "wheel" or similar.

I noticed some of my devices are not installed, one of them PCI FLASH Memory and a Video Controller...

You've just identified your problem! :approve: No video controller usually equals choppy frame rates, especially in Windows. Reinstall the drivers for your graphics adapter, and it should all be working nicely. I've had the same problem when reloading Windows and forgetting about my video card drivers.

Last edited by a moderator:
amwbonfire said:
Well it depends on your mouse. Try this:

Click Start > Control Panel > Mouse. There should be a tab somewhere called "wheel" or similar.
I don't have a mouse :-p

You don't have a mouse, or you don't have 'mouse' in your control panel? :-p

Is there something in control panel called "input devices" or something like that? If there is, that should be the same as mouse.

Did you mouse come with any software drivers, usually on CD? If so, then install your mouse drivers. "Mouse" should be in your control panel now, or your should be able to find the software for your mouse in your start menu.

If you don't have any mouse drivers, check your mouse to see what type of mouse it is. Make sure you include all the details, eg "IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0A USB". Search google for the mouse drivers for your mouse, and then install them.

Andy
AMW Bonfire

Pointing devices vs computer mice

amwbonfire said:
You don't have a mouse
Monique does not have a mouse.

Did you mouse come with any software drivers, usually on CD?
Monique does not have a mouse. She has a laptop and probably uses the trackpad to both control the pointer on the screen and to scroll (via the virtual vertical scroll strip on the right-hand portion of the pad).

Monique, it sounds like your drivers are messed up. A couple of things you can do are to

• launch pointing device properties and fiddle with the settings;

and,

• install the latest drivers from the manufacturer.

The two most popular makers of trackpads are Alps and http://www.synaptics.com/support/index.cfm . You might have an icon for your pointing device in the lower right-hand corner of your screen. You should be able to right-click on that to get information about your device (and to get to utility windows that allow you to adjust various pointing device settings). Once you know the manufacter's name, you can download the latest device drivers from the appropriate link I put in this paragraph (Alps drivers seem to be hard to find, so I linked to a google search).

Also, I have sometimes had problems with jumpy scrolling (I use a laptop also) that solved themselves with a simple reboot (I normally don't ever shut my computer down; I hibernate it instead).

Last edited by a moderator:
amwbonfire said:
You've just identified your problem! :approve: No video controller usually equals choppy frame rates, especially in Windows.
WhOOHOO! I reinstalled the video controller and now it's fast & smooth :biggrin: :approve:

Related to Improve Text Scrolling: Fix Computer Issues

1. Why is my text scrolling so slow on my computer?

There could be a few reasons for slow text scrolling on your computer. It could be due to a lack of memory or processing power, outdated software or drivers, or a virus or malware. It's important to troubleshoot and address these issues in order to improve text scrolling performance.

2. How can I improve text scrolling on my computer?

There are a few things you can do to improve text scrolling on your computer. First, make sure your computer has enough memory and processing power to handle the demands of scrolling. You can also try updating your software and drivers, as well as running a virus scan to ensure there are no malicious programs affecting performance.

3. What are some common issues that can affect text scrolling on a computer?

Some common issues that can affect text scrolling on a computer include a lack of memory or processing power, outdated software or drivers, viruses or malware, and a cluttered hard drive. These issues can impact the overall performance of your computer and specifically affect text scrolling.

4. Will clearing my cache or cookies improve text scrolling?

Clearing your cache or cookies may improve text scrolling if these files are taking up a significant amount of space on your computer. However, it is not a guaranteed solution as there may be other underlying issues affecting text scrolling performance. It is recommended to address any potential hardware or software issues before attempting to clear your cache or cookies.

5. Can I adjust the settings to improve text scrolling on my computer?

Yes, you can adjust the settings on your computer to improve text scrolling. This could include adjusting the display settings, updating your graphics card settings, or adjusting the scrolling speed in your web browser. However, if there are underlying hardware or software issues, these settings may not have a significant impact on text scrolling performance.