Impulse, Momentum, and Force

In summary, the problem involves a 2000kg stationary cannon and a 25kg cannonball fired horizontally at 250m/s. With no friction acting on the cannon, the initial momentum is equal to the final momentum. Using the equation m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1' + m2v2', the velocity of the cannon after firing the ball is calculated to be -3.1m/s, indicating a backward velocity. The method of solving the problem involves leaving the numbers out until the last step to keep track of dimensions and rearrange the solution.
chubbyorphan

Homework Statement

2000kg stationary cannon
25kg cannon ball fired horizontally @ 250m/s
Assume no friction acting on the cannon
***What is the velocity of the cannon after firing the ball?

Homework Equations

PT = PT’
^initial momentum = final momentum
m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1’ + m2v2’

The Attempt at a Solution

m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1’ + m2v2’
(2000kg)(0m/s) + (25kg)(0m/s) = (2000kg)(v1’) + (25kg)(250m/s)
0 = (2000kg)(v1’) + 6250kg•m/s
v1’ = (–6250kg•m/s)/(2000kg)
v1’ = –3.125m/s
After rounding:
v1’ = –3.1m/s
Therefore, the velocity of the cannon after firing the cannonball is 3.1m/s[backward]

I think I got it.. if someone could confirm my answer for me that would be awesome!
thank you forum!

Physics news on Phys.org
That's right. Also, I don't know how you're writing the problem on your own paper, but it's good practice never to put the numbers in until the last second. So for example,
$$
m_1v_1+m_2v_2=m_1v_1'+m_2v_2'\Rightarrow0=m_1v_1'+m_2v_2'\\
\Rightarrow m_1v_1'=-m_2v_2'\Rightarrow v_1'=-\frac{m_2v_2'}{m_1}
$$
Then you finally plug in the numbers and your solution falls out. This way it's easier to keep track of dimensions and to rearrange a result to get another result in a more complicated problem.

yeah my book actually doesn't do it that way but I'm definitely going to write it like that from now on. Thanks again SadScholar, you rock!
if you're bored I seem to always have topics I need help with >.>
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=588460

1. What is impulse?

Impulse is the change in momentum of an object over a period of time. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the time it is applied.

2. How is momentum related to impulse?

Momentum and impulse are directly related, as impulse is the force applied to an object over a period of time, and momentum is the product of an object's mass and velocity. In other words, impulse causes a change in an object's momentum.

3. What is the law of conservation of momentum?

The law of conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum before a collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This means that momentum is conserved in any interaction between objects, and no momentum is gained or lost.

4. How is force related to momentum?

Force is directly related to momentum, as it is the rate of change of an object's momentum. In other words, the greater the force applied to an object, the greater the change in its momentum.

5. What is the difference between impulse and force?

Impulse is the change in momentum over time, while force is the push or pull that causes an object to change its motion. Force is a vector quantity, while impulse is a scalar quantity. Additionally, force is a continuous quantity, while impulse is a discrete quantity.