In search of books or textbooks to study for the upcoming PGRE

In summary, for PGRE preparation, I suggest using textbooks such as "Introduction to Electrodynamics", "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics", "Thermal Physics", "Concepts of Modern Physics", and "Introduction to Solid State Physics". Additionally, practicing problems from "Schaum's Outline of Physics for Engineering and Science" and utilizing online resources like Khan Academy and MIT OpenCourseWare can be helpful. It is also important to take practice tests from previous years' PGRE exams.
zheng89120
Hi, so as many of you who are in 3rd year or so know, the PGRE is coming this October and November.. exciting times.. So from what I have heard, there are barely any exclusively PGRE-prep books.. Hence I look forward to some input on what kind of books (in general) that would be a good idea to study for the rest of the summer and before the exam..

My personal crack at good books are:
Electrodynamics (Griffiths)
Quantum Mechanics (Scherrer or Shankar)
Thermodynamics (Schroeder)
Modern Physics (Serway)

I also know that there are at least 4 former PGRE tests floating on the internet (check the PGRE forums).. so don't need to mention those.. thanks, and good luck on all your applications!

PS. any suggestions for non-print resources would be good too, including e-books..

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

I completely understand the importance of preparing for exams like the PGRE. It can be a daunting task, but with the right resources, you can definitely succeed.

Firstly, I would like to suggest some additional books that could be helpful for your PGRE preparation:

1. "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths (as you mentioned)
2. "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths
3. "Thermal Physics" by Charles Kittel and Herbert Kroemer
4. "Concepts of Modern Physics" by Arthur Beiser
5. "Introduction to Solid State Physics" by Charles Kittel

Apart from these textbooks, I would also recommend practicing problems from "Schaum's Outline of Physics for Engineering and Science" by Michael Browne. This book covers all the major topics in physics and has a large collection of practice problems to help you prepare for the exam.

In addition to books, I would suggest using online resources such as Khan Academy and MIT OpenCourseWare. These are great platforms to review concepts and practice problems. You can also find e-books and study materials on these websites.

Lastly, I would highly recommend taking practice tests from the previous years' PGRE exams. This will give you a better understanding of the exam format and the types of questions asked. As you mentioned, there are several former PGRE tests available online, so make sure to utilize them in your preparation.

I wish you all the best in your preparation and good luck on your applications!

1. What is the PGRE?

The PGRE (Physics Graduate Record Examination) is a standardized test designed to assess a student's readiness for graduate-level physics programs. It covers topics in undergraduate-level physics and is typically required for admission to graduate schools in physics.

2. When should I take the PGRE?

The PGRE is typically offered three times a year: in September, October, and April. It is recommended to take the exam in the fall of your senior year or the spring before, as this will give you enough time to retake the exam if needed before graduate school application deadlines.

3. What books or textbooks should I use to study for the PGRE?

There are a variety of books and textbooks available for PGRE preparation. Some popular options include "Conquering the Physics GRE" by Yoni Kahn and Adam Anderson, "Physics GRE Crash Course" by Dr. Jonathan Orsay, and "Cracking the GRE Physics Exam" by The Princeton Review. It is also recommended to review undergraduate physics textbooks and lecture notes.

4. How long should I study for the PGRE?

The amount of time needed to study for the PGRE varies for each individual. It is recommended to start studying at least 3-4 months before the exam date, and to dedicate a few hours each day to review the material. It is also important to take practice exams to gauge your progress and identify areas that need more focus.

5. Are there any online resources for PGRE preparation?

Yes, there are many online resources available for PGRE preparation. Some popular options include the official GRE website which offers study materials and practice questions, as well as websites such as PhysicsGRE.com and PhysicsGREPrep.com which offer additional study materials and practice tests.