In Vibroacoustic Therapy does the transducers have to be on the skin ?

In summary, according to this narrative review, vibroacoustic therapy appears to be effective in improving motor function in people with cerebral palsy. However, the study designs of the available studies are limited, and further research is needed to confirm these findings.
btb4198
In vibroacoustic therapy does the transducers have to be touching the skin ? I get that power is lost in the air, but it is enough to matter ?

Biology news on Phys.org
With an air gap, the vibration would be applied as a pressure to an area of skin. It will then enter the deeper volume of the body. An acoustic contact gel would be more efficient at coupling the energy than air, but it is messy and more difficult to clean up afterwards.

Without an air gap, the point contacts will activate the surface touch sensors, which may distract from the deeper waves in the body.

Until vibroacoustic therapy has been tested, and shown to have a medical advantage, it must remain a pseudoscience. The advantage of an audible frequency, with speakers through air, is that much of the affect may be placebo, so some coupling through the subject's ears may be a significant advantage, that would be lost by more efficient coupling.

• Love
Likes Motore, jim mcnamara, hutchphd and 1 other person
Thread closed briefly for Moderation and a search for references...

Thread moved to the Biology/Medical forum and reopened provisionally with the following references to read through. @btb4198 is there a particular medical problem that you are asking your question about, or is it a general question for all possible treatments with VAT? Also, in the future please include links to the scientific literature when starting threads like this. Thanks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibroacoustic_therapy
Vibroacoustic therapy (VAT) is a type of sound therapy that involves passing pure low frequency sine wave vibrations into the body via a device with embedded speakers.[1][2] This therapy was developed in Norway by Olav Skille in the 1980s.[3] The Food and Drug Administration has approved vibroacoustic therapy for increasing circulation, pain relief, and increasing mobility.[4] Vibroacoustic therapy is being evaluated to treat a number of conditions including fibromyalgia,[5] cerebral palsy[6] and Alzheimer's disease.[7]

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04293848

Effect of Vibroacoustic Therapy on Acute Stress in University Students​

Brief Summary:
The goal of the planned Randomized Control Trial is to explore the effect of vibroacoustic therapy on acute stress of university students. The theoretical framework of the study is based on biopsychosocial model of stress and multimodal approach to measurement. The trial is designed as single-blinded, placebo-controlled, with participants individually randomized into two parallel-groups, including equal randomization and blocked allocation of participants. 420 participants are all full-time university students (18-30 years) and will be divided into two groups: an experimental group (receiving low vibrations combined with music) and a control group (only music without low-frequency sounds). For both groups acute stress response will be measured by spectral analysis of heart rate variability (HRV SA), galvanic skin response (GSR), salivary cortisol, standardized psychological questionnaires - visual analogue scales for stress (VAS-stress) and Perceived Stress Scales-10, Czech version (PSS-10). It is expected that the experimental group will demonstrate a lower level of stress response that will be measured by higher activity of parasympathetic activity, lower level of skin resistance, lower level of salivary cortisol and lower subjective perception of stress. If vibroacoustic therapy turns out to be effective, it can be viewed as safe, student-friendly and inexpensive prevention of stress-related health problems and promote the health of students in the course of university education.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6843730/

Potential of Vibroacoustic Therapy in Persons with Cerebral Palsy: An Advanced Narrative Review​

Abstract
Vibroacoustic therapy (VAT) is a treatment method that uses sinusoidal low-frequency sound and music. The purpose of this narrative review is to describe the effects of VAT on motor function in people with spastic cerebral palsy (CP) according to study design as well as providing information about the age of the participants, measurement tools, and sound frequencies that were used. The systematic search strategy based on the first two steps of a standard evidence-based approach were used: (1) formulation of a search question and (2) structured documented search including assessment of the relevance of abstracts and full texts to the search question and inclusion criteria. Out of 823 results of the search in 13 scholarly databases and 2 grey literature sources, 7 papers were relevant. Most of the relevant studies in children and adults presented significant improvement of motor function. According to the study design, only five experimental studies and two randomized controlled trial (RCT) studies were available. In the discussion, findings of this review are compared to other related methods that use mechanical vibrations without music. The authors recommend continuing to research the effects of VAT on motor function and spasticity in adolescents and young adults with spastic CP.

Yes this :

I want to use resonant frequencies to kill cancer cells. If anyone has been following my posts for the last year or so, you know I have software that can accurately synthesize different frequencies and sounds. So in theory I feel like should be able to repeat what he did in his video unless there's something I'm missing. Honestly it seems way too easy.

Check out my site [personal website link redacted by the Mentors]

He is Pulsating frequencies from the range between 100,000 hz – 300,000hz using the the 11th harmonic.

I can easy change my code to output a

frequency = 100,000;

sine(f) + sine( f *11)

and increase the frequency every 5 minutes by 0.01 Hz.

until frequency = 300,000Hz

I have code that does isochronic Beats, so I can Pulsate is at any beat I want in hz.

it just seem too easy ...

I have Realtek* High definition Audio driver and a Intel(R) Core(Tm) i9-9900kF Cpu @ 3.60Ghx and 32.0 GN ram . So I feel like I should be able to Recreate his experiment with the same or similar results.

So I am missing something ? This seems too easy right ?
berkeman said:
Thread moved to the Biology/Medical forum and reopened provisionally with the following references to read through. @btb4198 is there a particular medical problem that you are asking your question about, or is it a general question for all possible treatments with VAT? Also, in the future please include links to the scientific literature when starting threads like this. Thanks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibroacoustic_therapyhttps://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04293848https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6843730/

Last edited by a moderator:
Vibroacoustic therapy uses low frequency sinusoidal vibrations between 30-120Hz. It aims to get the brain to synchronise with the stimulation. Those low frequency audio waves have very long wavelengths.
VAT does not use ultrasonic frequencies with very short wavelengths. That is a completely different technology.

So Vibroacoustic therapy is just brainwave entrainment?

Baluncore said:
Vibroacoustic therapy uses low frequency sinusoidal vibrations between 30-120Hz. It aims to get the brain to synchronise with the stimulation. Those low frequency audio waves have very long wavelengths.
VAT does not use ultrasonic frequencies with very short wavelengths. That is a completely different technology.
Do you know Audio will not let me generate a frequency higher than 20000 hz ?
Can a computer not do that ?
I tried to look up the highest Frequency a computer can output, but I could not find it.

btb4198 said:
So Vibroacoustic therapy is just brainwave entrainment?
Yes.

btb4198 said:
Do you know Audio will not let me generate a frequency higher than 20000 hz ?
Can a computer not do that ?
The audio output of a computer is not designed too produce frequencies above 20 kHz.

To generate ultrasonic frequencies above 20 kHz, you will need a dedicated signal generator.
I would suggest you search eBay for an FY3200S function generator costing about US$100 new.

You will also need an ultrasonic transducer that will cover the band of interest, maybe it will need to be an array if it must be focused. You will also need contact gel to get good coupling from the transducer through the skin.

Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

After further Mentor discussion, this thread will remain closed. VAT turns out to not be recognized widely as effective, and it sounds like the OP is talking about something different anyway.

@btb4198 -- You will need to publish your work in a peer-reviewed journal article before we can discuss it further at PF. Thank you.

1. What is Vibroacoustic Therapy?

Vibroacoustic Therapy is a non-invasive treatment method that uses low-frequency sound vibrations to stimulate the body and promote healing. It involves using specialized transducers to deliver these vibrations to specific areas of the body.

2. How does Vibroacoustic Therapy work?

The transducers used in Vibroacoustic Therapy emit low-frequency sound waves that penetrate deep into the body's tissues. These vibrations stimulate the cells and tissues, promoting relaxation, pain relief, and improved circulation.

3. Does the transducers have to be on the skin for Vibroacoustic Therapy to be effective?

Yes, for Vibroacoustic Therapy to be effective, the transducers must be placed directly on the skin. This allows for the sound waves to be transmitted directly into the body's tissues and produce the desired therapeutic effects.

4. Are there any risks associated with Vibroacoustic Therapy?

Vibroacoustic Therapy is generally considered safe and non-invasive. However, individuals with certain medical conditions, such as pacemakers or recent surgeries, should consult with their doctor before undergoing this treatment. It is also important to ensure that the transducers are properly calibrated to avoid any potential harm.

5. What are the potential benefits of Vibroacoustic Therapy?

Vibroacoustic Therapy has been shown to have a range of potential benefits, including pain relief, relaxation, improved sleep, and reduced stress and anxiety. It has also been used to treat conditions such as fibromyalgia, arthritis, and chronic pain.