Inclined plane and 2 wheels problem

In summary: So you need to find the moment of inertia of bicycle wheels and calculate again.In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of two wheels with the same mass but different radii on an inclined plane. It is observed that the wheel with a larger radius reaches the bottom of the plane faster and also accelerates faster. The conversation then delves into the concept of torque and the moment of inertia of the wheels, with the conclusion that the bigger wheel has a larger torque value and therefore can accelerate and start moving faster. However, the moment of inertia also increases with the square of the radius, which can potentially compensate for the larger torque. The conversation ends with a discussion on the experiment conducted and the need to consider the specific distribution of mass in the
TheColector
Suppose we have an inclined plane and 2 wheels. Both wheels have the same mass M but different radius R.
So the only difference is that one is bigger than another. We put both wheels on the top of the inclined plane. They are in the same position, and then we let them go. I know that the wheel with bigger radius will reach the bottom of the inclined plane faster than the smaller one. It also accelerates faster.

Here I need a little of your help. The thing I don't know/understand is why does the bigger radius wheel accelerates faster, why does it reach the bottom of the inclined plane faster ? Should both wheels reach the same max velocity ?
Now tell me if I'm wrong. In my opinion both wheels have the same force F1 where F1 = mg * sinα - force which pulls down.
By the definition of Torque which is
e4748af24343cc001cca5213772e2593.png
. we have the same F1 force and different Radiuses.
In conclusion the bigger wheel has larger Torque value than small wheel, and both wheels need the same force to move but bigger radius means larger Torque value, so it's easier to gain acceleration and starts moving faster. It's one of my thoughts. Sorry for long post, I'm new here, hope you'll understand

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you looked at the "moment of inertia" of the two wheels? For circular motion the formula corresponding to "F= ma" is [itex]T= I\alpha[/itex] where [itex]T[/itex] is the torque, [itex]\alpha[/itex] is the angular acceleration (second derivative of angle with respect to time), and I is the moment of inertial. For a "wheel" ("thin circular hoop") of radius r and mass m the moment of inertia, about its axis, is [itex]\frac{mr^2}{2}[/itex].
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_moments_of_inertia).

The moment of inertia increases as the square of the radius.

TheColector said:
I know that the wheel with bigger radius will reach the bottom of the inclined plane faster than the smaller one. It also accelerates faster.
How do you know this?

Model the wheel as a disk or a hoop (your choice) and figure out what the acceleration depends on, assuming rolling without slipping.

HallsofIvy said:
For a "wheel" ("thin circular hoop") of radius r and mass m the moment of inertia, about its axis, is [itex]\frac{mr^2}{2}[/itex].
That's the moment of inertia of a uniform disk; that of a hoop would be [itex]mr^2[/itex].

How do you know that the bigger one arrives first?

Edit.
Sorry, I did not refresh in a while. Asked same question as Doc Al. :)

I know this because I perceived that during experiment.

Both wheels have the same geometry? Are they full cylinders?

TheColector said:
I know this because I perceived that during experiment.
The first thing to do is figure out (using Newton's laws) the behavior you would expect.

@nasu I mean smth like 2 bike wheels

You mean with spokes?

T=Iα, => α= T/I => α= F*R/M*R^2 , so the angular acceleration is inversely proportional to the Radius, it means smaller acceleration with bigger radius. What's wrong ?

I is not just mr^2. It depends on the specific distribution of mass. If your objects are like bicycle wheels it will be quite tricky to find I theoretically.
The shape is essential.

Sure but we have here as simplest situation as can only be, equal distribution of mass, perfecr circle etc. So tell me what is the answer ?

You said you did an experiment, didn't you? And you said your objects are like bicycle wheels.
So what are you after? An ideal situation with some simple geometrical shapes or your experiment with real objects? Bicycle wheels are not a simple case.
You have to decide what problem are you solving before starting to look for solution.

@nasu I see your point. My bad, but I'd love to know what couses the bigger wheel(with larger radius) accelerating faster, reaching the bottom faster. Let's assume the simple situation for the simplicity of calculations.

TheColector said:
T=Iα, => α= T/I => α= F*R/M*R^2 , so the angular acceleration is inversely proportional to the Radius, it means smaller acceleration with bigger radius. What's wrong ?
1) How is angular acceleration related to linear acceleration?
2) Don't assume that the torque-creating force (F, the friction) is the same.

Likes TheColector
α=a/R and then a= F*R\M, I think it's the answer, Relation to the radius is correct. I thought about it at first but I got distracted or smth and rejected this option. I get it know I think(If it's the answer). Thanks to all of you

TheColector said:
@nasu I see your point. My bad, but I'd love to know what couses the bigger wheel(with larger radius) accelerating faster, reaching the bottom faster. Let's assume the simple situation for the simplicity of calculations.
Well, in the simplest case, of uniform cylindrical (or disk shaped) objects, they should get down with the same speed, at the same time.
The larger torque on the big one is compensated by a larger moment of inertia. You need to solve two equations, one for linear and one for angular acceleration to see this. And use the relationship between angular and linear accelerations.

But you claim you have seen something else so this means your experiment does not satisfy the requirements of the simplest case. And you said that they are like bicycle wheels.

1. What is an inclined plane?

An inclined plane is a simple machine that is a flat surface set at an angle, which allows objects to be moved from a lower to a higher point with less effort.

2. How does an inclined plane work?

An inclined plane works by reducing the amount of force needed to move an object by increasing the distance over which that force is applied.

3. How are inclined planes used in the 2 wheels problem?

In the 2 wheels problem, an inclined plane can be used to reduce the effort needed to lift an object onto a higher surface, such as loading a heavy object into a truck or moving furniture up a flight of stairs.

4. What is the relationship between the angle of the inclined plane and the effort required to move an object?

The steeper the angle of the inclined plane, the less force is required to move an object. However, as the angle becomes less steep, more force is needed to move the object.

5. How do 2 wheels help in the inclined plane problem?

The two wheels act as a lever, allowing the force applied to the object to be spread out over a greater distance, making it easier to move the object up the inclined plane.